Liberty not returning to Europe - Pride heading to Baltimore early

Tom-n-Cheryl

CARNIVAL LIBERTY TO OPERATE YEAR-ROUND SEVEN-DAY CRUISES FROM MIAMI BEGINNING APRIL 2009; INTRODUCTION OF YEAR-ROUND CRUISES FROM BALTIMORE ON CARNIVAL PRIDE MOVED UP TO SPRING

MIAMI (October 27, 2008) – Carnival Cruise Lines has announced that its Miami-based Carnival Liberty, which was originally scheduled to reposition to Europe in May 2009, will instead remain in Miami to operate year-round Caribbean cruises.

The Carnival Liberty will continue to offer its existing schedule of seven-day Caribbean cruises through next spring and then introduce a new seven-day program from Miami beginning in April 2009.

In turn, the Carnival Pride, currently based in Long Beach, Calif., and originally scheduled to shift to Miami for a five-month Caribbean deployment from April through August, will instead launch its Baltimore-based program on April 27, 2009.

Prior to its Baltimore deployment, Carnival Pride will operate its previously scheduled Panama Canal cruise from Long Beach, Calif., to Miami March 22–April 5, 2009, as well as a six-day cruise departing April 5 and two seven-day Caribbean cruises departing April 11 and 18, 2009, all operating from Miami.

"Based on current market conditions, continued economic uncertainty and high air costs to Europe, we are shifting our focus to an even greater extent toward our core, close-to-home cruise options which are clearly the preference of the vast majority of the mainstream vacation market right now," said Gerry Cahill, Carnival president and CEO. "We are excited that this change in deployment will also enable us to bring the Carnival Pride to Baltimore four months earlier than originally planned to start up that city’s first year-round cruise program, which is proving to be extremely popular based on advanced bookings so far," he added.

Cahill noted that Carnival will still offer several European cruises next year when the 3,646-passenger Carnival Dream – the line’s newest and largest ship – debuts with a series of three 12-day Grand Mediterranean cruises from Rome (Civitavecchia) in September and October 2009. Carnival Dream will also operate a 16-day trans-Atlantic crossing from Rome (Civitavecchia) to New York in late October 2009.

Cahill said that the company will be offering assistance in finding vacation alternatives to Carnival Liberty guests who were scheduled to sail in Europe, including European cruises on Carnival’s sister companies that have a strong presence in the region such as Holland America and Princess. "We understand that our guests who were scheduled to sail in Europe are going to be disappointed by this development and we sincerely apologize to them for this disruption to their vacation plans. Europe remains a desirable vacation choice for many and we will endeavor to help our guests find alternative plans to sail within the region," he said.

Existing Bookings - Carnival Liberty and Carnival Pride

Guests booked on the Carnival Liberty Europe cruises will be provided special onboard credit offers toward other 2009 Carnival cruises, including the Carnival Dream European departures. In addition, Carnival will assist guests with the cost of changes/cancellations for non-refundable air transportation.

Guests who were booked on the Carnival Pride’s Caribbean cruises from April 25, 2009 to August 29, 2009 from Miami will be automatically shifted to the same accommodations on the Carnival Liberty. The Carnival Liberty will also operate the same itineraries as previously scheduled on the Carnival Pride.

Carnival Liberty’s New Seven-Day Caribbean Cruises From Miami

Carnival Liberty will continue its current program of seven-day Caribbean cruises from Miami through April 18, 2009 then assume a new schedule of weeklong cruises to the Western and Exotic Eastern Caribbean beginning Saturday, April 25, 2009, through November 28, 2009. The new Exotic Eastern Caribbean cruise route will feature Half Moon Cay, a private Bahamian island; St. Thomas, U.S.V.I.; San Juan, Puerto Rico; and Grand Turk, Turks & Caicos Islands. The western route will visit Ocho Rios, Jamaica; George Town, Grand Cayman; and Cozumel, Mexico

Carnival Pride’s New Spring/Summer Departures From Baltimore

Carnival Pride will launch Baltimore’s first year-round cruise program beginning on April 27, 2009, four months ahead of the original schedule. From April 27, 2009 to September 6, 2009, the ship will operate a series of six-, seven- and eight-day cruises. These cruises will visit a wide variety of ports including Nassau, Freeport, Half Moon Cay (a private Bahamian island), Port Canaveral (Orlando) and Grand Turk in the Turks & Caicos.

clicked on the link but can't find the story! HELP!

Bill

Searching myself - I see it did not link to the article directly!!!

CARNIVAL LIBERTY TO OPERATE YEAR-ROUND SEVEN-DAY CRUISES FROM MIAMI BEGINNING APRIL 2009; INTRODUCTION OF YEAR-ROUND CRUISES FROM BALTIMORE ON CARNIVAL PRIDE MOVED UP TO SPRING

THANKS!!! :)

Tom

I am so disappointed, I was booked on the 14Jun09 sailing. My travel agent called me an hour ago.

Here is the letter my agent received from Carnival:

X6100tmp.jpg

I found the related article online below:

http://www.travelmole.com/stories/1132467.php

Carnival pulls ex-UK cruises

Carnival Cruise Lines has cancelled a programme of summer 2009 sailings from Dover.

The ship Carnival Liberty is to stay based in Miami sailing to the Caribbean instead of re-positioning to Europe next summer as originally scheduled.

This will mean the cancellation of the ship’s 2009 summer schedule from Dover of 12 and 13-night cruises to Northern Europe and Western Europe respectively.

The decision was based on “current market conditions, continued economic uncertainty and high air costs to Europe which impact US visitors wishing to cruise in Europe,” a statement said.

UK passengers booked on Carnival Liberty will receive full refunds or be offered alternative cruises by sister Carnival Corporation brands.

Passengers are also being offered the option of being rebooked on Carnival Dream, to be launched in Italy in autumn 2009, offering Mediterranean cruises from the port of Rome. Those choosing this option will be given an extra $50 onboard credit.

In addition to three 12-night Grand Mediterranean cruises from Rome (Civitavecchia) in September and October 2009, Carnival Dream will also operate a 16 day transatlantic crossing from Rome in late October 2009.

Carnival Cruise Lines’ UK office is also working with other sister brands including Holland America Line, Princess Cruises and P&O Cruises to offer comparable cruise deals to affected passengers.

Lynn Narraway, Carnival Cruise Lines’ UK managing director, said: “We would like to apologise for the disruption this will cause our UK passengers, and our trade partners who have worked so hard with us to build up our ex-UK cruise presence in the UK market.

“As international operators, we are focusing on our core Miami and Port Canaveral cruises, which continue to be most popular for the UK market, and which also remain perennially popular with US passengers, especially in the current economic climate.

“We are very sorry that we are now unable to offer our Carnival Liberty ex-Dover sailings for 2009, but very much hope to be back in the future.”

by Phil Davies

Just the 'Dream'

Wow...I am not sure I knew the Freedom wasn't going back. What a bummer.

This makes me wonder, with the Dream covering Europe for the summer of 2009....are they going to use the Magic for Europe in 2010?

Wow...I am not sure I knew the Freedom wasn't going back. What a bummer.

This makes me wonder, with the Dream covering Europe for the summer of 2009....are they going to use the Magic for Europe in 2010?

Since they have to bring her over from Europe, I would say the answer would be yes.

Hard to say what the economic outlook will be in 2010. Right now its just hard for many to afford the airfare.

I would be disappointed, too, BUT they are at least doing something to accommodate those people with other arrangements.

I was disappointed when I heard Liberty was going to Europe and now am so excited she's back in the Caribbean. I'm going to see when the Eastern Exotic itineraries are happening now...

I hope everyone gets their itineraries and arrangements all straightened out!

I just talked to a Carnival rep about how they're going to reposition the Pride from Miami to Baltimore in April. Poor girl. I had more information than she did. But she quickly found the information that I had gotten here and we chatted about the possibility of a repo cruise stopping in Bermuda. Obviously she had nothing definite, but I'm on her call list as soon as something is decided. I can't believe they'd move the ship empty, although that is a possibility. It would be a shame if they did, since the idea of a quickie with a stop in Bermuda is quite lovely.

Since they have to bring her over from Europe, I would say the answer would be yes.

Hard to say what the economic outlook will be in 2010. Right now its just hard for many to afford the airfare.

To be perfectly honest, airfare is what stopped us from doing a Princess Cruise (the British Isles) for 2 summers now. The airfare (for 4 of us) was going to be more than the cruise.

We were starting to look at the summer of 2010 as an early college graduation present for our son....guess we will have to wait and see what is available.

I just talked to a Carnival rep about how they're going to reposition the Pride from Miami to Baltimore in April. Poor girl. I had more information than she did. But she quickly found the information that I had gotten here and we chatted about the possibility of a repo cruise stopping in Bermuda. Obviously she had nothing definite, but I'm on her call list as soon as something is decided. I can't believe they'd move the ship empty, although that is a possibility. It would be a shame if they did, since the idea of a quickie with a stop in Bermuda is quite lovely.

Just an FYI any repo from Miami to Baltimore will either have to visit Aruba (due to PVSA requirements) which would make a Bermuda stop unlikely unless the repo is really long or it will sail empty from Miami to Baltimore.

Just an FYI any repo from Miami to Baltimore will either have to visit Aruba (due to PVSA requirements) which would make a Bermuda stop unlikely unless the repo is really long or it will sail empty from Miami to Baltimore.

Why Aruba? Why not Bermuda?

As a sailing between 2 different US ports, to not violate the PVSA, they have to make a stop at a distant foreign port. The closest distant foreign ports to the East Coast are the ABC Islands (Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao). Unfortunately Bermuda does NOT count as a distant foreign port.

The PVSA is the Federal Law (sometimes confused and called the "Jones Act") which prohibits foreign flagged cruise ships from transporting passengers between U.S. ports without a foreign port stop. (hence Seattle roundtrip cruises to Alaska must stop in a Canadian port like Victoria. It is illegal for an all US port cruise by a foreign ship.

(note: I cut and pasted this from a post elsewhere on the board) :D

I think she'd be sailing up empty. Before this was announced the final Pride cruise from Miami was August 29th and ending September 5th in Miami and the Pride was scheduled to do her first sailing from Baltimore on September 7th.

Couldn't find any sailings for Sept 5-7 on the Pride.

Bill

YES, this is a bummer. Leaving this Saturday on the Freedom from Rome for 14 nights, BUT had booked LONG ago the Liberty on May 9th from Dover doing the Baltic States, meeting up with a friend from London who was booking a single for herself Just called my Carnival rep and left a message for her to call me back in order to get my deposit back. Received an e-mail from Carnival this a.m. confirming all this news. Unfortunately, will never sail again living in So. Florida during the months of August, Sept., October (on Carnival Dream) due to hurricane threat. We have a friend sitting the dog and just not fair to him should a hurricane come (as it did with Wilma in October 2005 when we were on an HAL cruise). We were without elec. in our condo highrise for 3 weeks and he was there for the storm with the dog and we weren't. Anyway, what a bummer. Am already looking around for alternate cruise lines, same itinerary. Well, at least we hadn't booked our airfare yet, although they are reimbursing, but just one less hassle to get refunded. Now . . . on to Rome and the 11/6 sailing!

I started a thread earlier re: Carnival Cancels Crusies after my Carnival Rep contacted me about Liberty. DH & I were booked on the 10.13.09 cruise for Italy, Turkey, Greece.

We just returned from Freedom's Grand Mediterranean Cruise, a 10.01.08 departure. It's hard to believe that we probably were on one of Carnival's last Mediterranean or European cruises for some time to come.

It's hard for me to phathom that Carnival is cancelling cruises...Carnival, one of the most STABLE and SOLVENT cruise ship lines around!

But like the Carnival execs said...their big market is the Caribbean out of US ports. So, it sounds like they are making a wise financial decision!

But like the Carnival execs said...their big market is the Caribbean out of US ports. So, it sounds like they are making a wise financial decision!

Agreed - and with the cost of oil going down (for now) and the current LOW price of Carnival stock... perhaps it's time to snap up a few more shares!

Then again.... :confused:

Tom

Archived