eating in NOLA

GORDONCHICK

I am deathly allergic to bell peppers, color doesn't matter. Besides Gumbo, what should I stay away from in general? I'm usually really good about asking about ingredients (I have to be if I want to breath), but give me a list of what starts with "the trinity". Or maybe it would be easier to list what doesn't have "the trinity"?

The 'trinity' in N.O. cooking is onion, bell pepper, and celery. It will be in each gumbo, jambalaya, etouffee`, and anything else w/the word 'creole' in it.

:D You'd better plan on having only specific seafood for entrees - or stick w/po'boys!

The 'trinity' in N.O. cooking is onion, bell pepper, and celery. It will be in each gumbo, jambalaya, etouffee`, and anything else w/the word 'creole' in it.

:D You'd better plan on having only specific seafood for entrees - or stick w/po'boys!

Yes, I knew what the "trinity" was, I just didn't know if it was in absolutely everything or just specific dishes. So maybe eating at all these well-known haunts would be lost on me?

There are plenty of good dishes out there that will not have bell peppers. Try Drago's in the Riverside Hilton. You can get char-broiled oysters, numerous pasta dishes with seafood and without, lobsters, etc. Just watch out for the stuffed items, they might have bell peppers. When in doubt just ask. http://www.dragosrestaurant.com/index.htm

Eating fried or boiled seafood also would be safe.

My wife is allergic to MSG (Monosodium glutamate) and it is in almost everything. It also goes by other names, so asking about MSG does not always protect her. Eating out is always an adventure.

There are plenty of good dishes out there that will not have bell peppers. Try Drago's in the Riverside Hilton. You can get char-broiled oysters, numerous pasta dishes with seafood and without, lobsters, etc. Just watch out for the stuffed items, they might have bell peppers. When in doubt just ask. http://www.dragosrestaurant.com/index.htm

Yum.

IMG_4925.JPG

IMG_4948.JPG

IMG_4954.JPG

Although I'm not allergic I don't like green peppers, but I find lots to eat here. I would stay away from anything that's mixed - like gumbo, jambalaya, etc. Most of the boiled or fried stuff doesn't have peppers in it, so you're safe with those type things.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived