Carseat question

hililyhilo

Are you bringing it because you have no place to leave it or because you think you'll use it? Cabs and buses do not have seatbelts so a car seat is pretty useless. I don't know what the policy is because I don't think I've ever seen that question asked. Is it a full size car seat or a baby carrier? If it's a carrier you can just carry her on board in it. If it's full size, I don't know if it will fit through the xray machine. I know you can check them on airlines so possibly you can tag it and have it delivered, but I don't know how they'd get it aboard since it won't stack flat like luggage. Good question though.

Are you bringing it because you have no place to leave it or because you think you'll use it? Cabs and buses do not have seatbelts so a car seat is pretty useless. I don't know what the policy is because I don't think I've ever seen that question asked. Is it a full size car seat or a baby carrier? If it's a carrier you can just carry her on board in it. If it's full size, I don't know if it will fit through the xray machine. I know you can check them on airlines so possibly you can tag it and have it delivered, but I don't know how they'd get it aboard since it won't stack flat like luggage. Good question though.

I'm bringing it because I have no place to put it. It's a full size car seat and I was planning on having it to use for the rental car before and after our cruise.

I'm bringing it because I have no place to put it. It's a full size car seat and I was planning on having it to use for the rental car before and after our cruise.

Check with your rental company about a carseat. We have rented one from ours along with the car. As another option, maybe they'd be able to store it for you.

Hey! I just got back from a cruise with an 18 month old and a 7 year old, so we carried a full-size car seat and a booster seat. We bought a car seat travel cover (made by Graco) from Babies R Us/Toys R Us for under $20, and the car seat, the booster seat, and some other items fit in there, which ended up being handy since our suitcase weighed over 50 lbs and had to be "repacked." We took some stuff out (shoes, diapers, beach bag, etc.), put those items in with the booster and car seat, and went on our way. We checked the car seat bag (which was not subject to the surcharge), and it made it safely to Miami. Then, in Miami, we had car seats available for taxi travel (and, by the way, the taxis and shuttles DID have seatbelts). I felt a lot better having them with us. We gave the car seat bag to the porters at the port, and it made it to our room (well, actually, someone was dyslexic...we were in room 2275, and it ended up outside room 2257, but we spotted it easily!). It was easy to check with souvenirs on the way home. The travel bag did end up with two very small holes in it, but it held up well, suited all our needs, and is still in good enough shape that I'd trust it with one more trip. Oh, and the car seats fit in the bag under the vanity area right beside the vanity stool on the cruise. It was out of the way and convenient to have!

HTH - and good luck with your travels!

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and replies! Wow, that was quick!

I'll have to decide whether to get the car seat through the car rental or getting the car seat cover.

And Summercruisin'... funny enough, I've been enjoying your trip report on the Destiny and thought about asking you about car seats, but didn't want to hijack your thread! :D

Archived