Question for you winers

sheephugs

I am not even close to being wine savvy, however my father-in-law enjoys merlot with dinner. For his birthday, I purchased a bottle of Robert Mondavi Private Selection Merlot through the HAL website for him to enjoy on his Eurodam December cruise. It was somewhere around $50.00 so I figured it must be really special. Lo and behold I see a bottle with that same name in the wine section of our grocery store for around $10.00. Have I been taken? Is it possible for him to switch that to an onboard credit?

Yes..... he probably could switch it for a credit but he surely can switch it toward a different wine if he wishes.

That was a thoughtful thing for you to do and I'm sure it will make him happy.

I am not even close to being wine savvy, however my father-in-law enjoys merlot with dinner. For his birthday, I purchased a bottle of Robert Mondavi Private Selection Merlot through the HAL website for him to enjoy on his Eurodam December cruise. It was somewhere around $50.00 so I figured it must be really special. Lo and behold I see a bottle with that same name in the wine section of our grocery store for around $10.00. Have I been taken? Is it possible for him to switch that to an onboard credit?
I think that is probably a typical mark-up so the question as to whether you were "taken" is dependent on what you think is reasonable. If you buy a beer at a restaurant or bar, it will typically cost you $3.00 to $4.00 for the same bottle of beer you can buy at the liquor store for about a buck. Isn't that the same thing? And also remember that wine is relatively service or labor-intensive, so let's say you bought your $10 bottle at the wine store and brought it to a good local restaurant to enjoy, they will almost certainly charge you a corkage fee of $20-$25 just to open and pour it. With all that said, $50 ain't bad.

The extra $40 is typical. It pays for the cruise line to order the wine, stock it on the ship, sail it all around the seas with their engines and fuel, and serve it to you when requested in the middle of the ocean.

Mark-ups in the past have been at least 3 to 4 times land based store prices. A $7 bottle of Beringer Zin goes for $33.50 on the ship.

This is why I now use the wine card. I tired of paying that much mark-up by the bottle or package for wines that are just not worth the cost. I understand that this is not any different than what reputable restaurants do on dry land. I tend to pick the house wines and drink much higher quality wines with dinner at home with the savings.

That was a great way to treat your Dad with a special bottle of wine for him to enjoy at dinner. Sadly HAL has a huge mark up in their wines. Not to worry your Dad will love and appreciate the thought.

I second everyone's thoughts. I think that your dad will truly appreciate the thought. Last November we went with my parents on a cruise for their anniversary celebration. We had a $4.50 bottle of Beringer (in actuality) waiting in their cabin for when they embarked. It cost us close to $50...which was laughable...but my mom cried for some reason...lol :D We got to add a nice note tag to it as well to congratulate them so I think it's worth it.

HA allows passengers to bring wine on board. If you feel you want to give your father a better quality wine, you can buy it ashore, wrap it in one of the various bounce back wine carriers available and give it to him as a present to be opened while at sea.

The advantages are clear. Even with a fancy carrier, the quality of wine will be much better for the same price.

This is why we always bring our own wine onboard. We are fairly picky about wine and could never afford the wines we like at ship prices if we could even get them.

It's a wonderful thing you have done for your father, he will be touched by it and will enjoy the wine I'm sure.

Archived