Fascination/ skyway bridge / photos

Cinderose

There was a thread a while ago and I cant find it about photos of the Fascination going under the skyway bridge on sailaway in Jacksonville. Does anyone have those photos again and could you repost them or get me a link to that thread? Thank you!!!

There was a thread a while ago and I cant find it about photos of the Fascination going under the skyway bridge on sailaway in Jacksonville. Does anyone have those photos again and could you repost them or get me a link to that thread? Thank you!!!

wow,,,didn't even know there was a skyway bridge in JAX,,,Florida must like that name,,,,,,,there's one in Tampa too :) Holly

ok, smarty pants I meant...

When the Fascination comes into port on Saturday, it will clear the Dames Point Bridge by about 12 feet. A portion of the ship’s light beacon had to be modified so it could fit under the bridge.

ok, smarty pants I meant...

When the Fascination comes into port on Saturday, it will clear the Dames Point Bridge by about 12 feet. A portion of the ship’s light beacon had to be modified so it could fit under the bridge.

LOL,,,just so you know,,,I honestly wasn't being a smarty pants,,,,,,I thought Jx ALSO had a skyway:eek: I am not blonde,,,,,,but I've been asked for proof on more than one occasion:eek: Holly

I live in Jacksonville and I love the Dames Point bridge. They shut it down when it gets too windy. I've always wanted to time driving over with when the cruise ship is going under it, but I can never time it right.

Sometimes they have cargo ships even taller than the cruise ship go under. When that happens they have to time it perfectly with low tide and they shut down the bridge "just in case".

The city is talking about building a bigger cruise terminal and deepening the river on the other side of the bridge. This would mean Jacksonville could get even bigger ships and they would no longer have to go under the bridge.

yearnin4cruisin,

Just got back from Fascination yesterday. I'm not sure if they leave the same time for every itinerary, but ours was the 5-day Key West and Nassau itinerary. Our original time to leave was 4:00, but when we got on the ship the capers stated that it was 4:30. I guess we must have passed under the bridge sometime between 5:00 and 5:30 because it was well before our early seating dinner at 6pm. Watch from to deck--it is very exciting. It really looks like the ship won't make it under the bridge.

Debbie

yearnin4cruisin,

Just got back from Fascination yesterday. I'm not sure if they leave the same time for every itinerary, but ours was the 5-day Key West and Nassau itinerary. Our original time to leave was 4:00, but when we got on the ship the capers stated that it was 4:30. I guess we must have passed under the bridge sometime between 5:00 and 5:30 because it was well before our early seating dinner at 6pm. Watch from to deck--it is very exciting. It really looks like the ship won't make it under the bridge.

Debbie

Thanks so much!

• 2 weeks later...
yearnin4cruisin,

Debbie

Which deck did you watch from? Also, did you do the muster drill before sailing? I've read a review where they did the drill the next morning. We are doing this same iten. in May.

Which deck did you watch from? Also, did you do the muster drill before sailing? I've read a review where they did the drill the next morning. We are doing this same iten. in May.

I just finished this cruise. For some reason, the muster drill is the next day.

We watched the bridge from the funnel deck. It was awesome, because it didn't look like the funnel would make it. Here is the picture I snapped.

Oh, and your other question. The bridge is about a mile from the dock, so it pretty much just turns around and goes under the bridge right after sailaway.

1246392814_Cruise2008278.jpg.0ff3139cf4565f8ff367cef52ea48f57.jpg

I just finished this cruise. For some reason, the muster drill is the next day.

We watched the bridge from the funnel deck. It was awesome, because it didn't look like the funnel would make it. Here is the picture I snapped.

Oh, and your other question. The bridge is about a mile from the dock, so it pretty much just turns around and goes under the bridge right after sailaway.

Thanks for the info. Do you happen to have your capers from this cruise? I would love to see them.

This would be great! I like cruising from JAX, it's so easy. ;)

I live in Jacksonville and I love the Dames Point bridge. They shut it down when it gets too windy. I've always wanted to time driving over with when the cruise ship is going under it, but I can never time it right.

Sometimes they have cargo ships even taller than the cruise ship go under. When that happens they have to time it perfectly with low tide and they shut down the bridge "just in case".

The city is talking about building a bigger cruise terminal and deepening the river on the other side of the bridge. This would mean Jacksonville could get even bigger ships and they would no longer have to go under the bridge.

Thanks for the info. Do you happen to have your capers from this cruise? I would love to see them.

I have no clue how to do this. I'm sure it would requre a scanner, and I don't have one. Sorry.

I can tell you that, as always, they had tons of activities on the sea days. We were never short on something to do. The comedy shows were typically in the Puttin on the Ritz Lounge, so you could go to the big show and the comedy show without missing anything.

Archived