Arranging your own excursions

rmtman

It is done a lot.

We don`t pre-arrange taxi tours but just negociate a price with the drivers at th port. Don`t go with the first driver or price.

You have to leave plenty of time to get back to the ship as it won`t wait for you unless you are on a Princess tour.

go to the "roll calls" area of cruise critic here, and meet other people on the same sailing as you will be. Often you can arrange to share a port tour with others or others are looking for partners to share a tour with. It works well, and can save you some money, and give you some company.

Check out the Ports of Call threads for each stop you will have to find out what some options are available. Many people post feedback on thier experiences with arrranging their own tours via taxis or tour guides. I have followed the advice of posters in the past and have had a wonderful time. The tip with taxi tours is to not pay them until you are returned back to port. Also, you can get cheaper prices if you can find another couple who might be interested in the same type of tour. Remember that the taxis on the islands are not always cars but vans that fit more people. Good luck and have fun...

Is it possible to arrange your own tours using taxis and how easy is it?

Very easy and a whole lot cheaper.

Cruise lines impose a huge markup in the tours they sell to passengers.

The only benefit of booking with the cruise line is that if the excursion is late getting back to the ship, the ship will either wait for you or will fly you to the next port.

Doing it on your own can save you as much as 50%.

The only time I am tempted to use the ship’s excursions is when I can't find anything on my own.

In every port you will find people offering tours.

You might want to check the roll call for your cruise. People post on there looking for people to share a tour with them.

Also, check the Ports of Call boards for the places you will be visiting.

for what it is worth, your question is not that simple. it depends on what you want to get out of your excursion. the simple answer is yes you can arrange for a taxi in most ports in the med and i am sure it is quite readily done although we have never tried. the driver may or may not speak understandable english and he is a driver not a guide. for example, in italy, only licensed guides can give you a tour of historical sites like pompeii. i'm not sure but i think it is the same in greece.

you can use the ships tours they generally provide a licensed guide.

there are also any number of websites where you may arrange your own private tour or you can go to the roll call section and try to join up with a few of your shipmates who have made private arrangements.

if you are satisfied with a drive-by, go with a taxi but if you want to gain some information about some of the fabulous sites you will be able to see, a licensed guide is a must.

we almost always try to find and use private tours it is well worth the cost to us

Archived