suggestions for a do it yourself tour of cozumel??

fowler100

We will have 6 ( 4 kids) in Dec. and were really considering just doing a tour of cozumel. Definatly going to hit the quickly becoming famous P.B. ( can't wait) and definately Coconuts for the view any other suggestions on something not to miss! Thanks so much!!:)

I would get a map and rent a minivan and goooo!!

You can hardly get lost and as this way you can go from place to place staying as long as you want at each place. There is plenty to see in between PB and Coconuts. Then from Coconuts you may want to swing through town and stop for some minigolf and do some shopping before heading back to the ship.

We're also looking at touring Cozumel on our own when we are on the island Dec. 9th. and are still putting the "finishing touches" to our plans.

If you are going to rent a vehicle, from what I have been reading, there are only a few reputable rental agencies in town ... such as Avis (we're going with them) at https://www.avis.com/AvisWeb/common...=MX&LANGUAGE=en or Executive Car Rental at https://www.executive.com.mx/newexe...h/executive.php. These two have the advantage of being right at the International pier where we come into port. From what I have gathered, the prices online are much better.

Also, don't forget that when your ship gets in may determine availabilities -- for example, we're the 9th ship in port that day, so there's potentially 10,000 people ahead of us if we didn't have reservations!

There are lots and lots of horror stories on all the travel boards about dealing with many of the other rental companies in town (such as trying to charge you for existing -- or bogus -- damage, inoperable vehicles, etc. etc.) so use extreme caution if you do go with one of others.

For more specific tips, see http://www.cancunmap.com/car_rental_tips.html

See the other CC thread on this at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=97112.

As well, for touring around the island, I would recommend the Cozumel Can-Do Travel Guide which I just received in the mail ... I assure you that it is absolutely amazing! in terms of the detail and tips it offers. We're going to be using it as our bible when we do our touring. You can order it online, and you only have to pay for it if you find it useful (although I paid for mine based on the very postive reviews I was reading on another board about it). And the price?? Try only $8.00 !! Incredible!!! Go to http://www.cancunmap.com/ and click on the Cozumel guide to see a sample. It's definitely worth it!

Good luck!

Just visited Cozumel last Saturday. There were 4 ships docked there & the crowds did not seem bad at all. We docked at Puerta Maya & walked to International Pier @ approx 10AM to pick up our rental car at Avis (reserved ahead of time $44 + $22 full ins + tax). Went immediately to Chakanaab & did just the sightseeing there (no snorkeling due to El Norte'). Then drove to Punta Sur & did the lighthouse/alligator tour @$6/pp. By now we were getting hungry & headed to Coconuts for a delicious lunch & walk on the beach next store. Then headed back into town for approx 1 1/2 hrs of shopping. This left enough time to stop for gas (round trip around island used $5 worth) & returned car to Avis by their 6PM closing time. This still left add'l time to shop at the Int'l Pier & then walk back to our pier. We had late dining time so you could fit in having dinner onboard your ship, then walk back out to have late night drinks at one of the bars near the Puerta Maya pier. That makes for a very full, but pretty economical day.

Betsyrossapk:

Thanks very much for your detailed review ... this helps confirm my own planning a bit. If you don't mind, I would like to ask a few questions:

1. How did you find the visit to Chakanaab? I have heard that the botanical gardens there are really worth the trip.

2. How long did your visit to Punta Sur last in total (since - for example - I understand that you have to ride in on the park's trucks) ... and how much extra time did the alligator tour add to the visit?

3. Was there anything else on the East side (apart from Coconuts) that you noted as really being worth a stop and look?

4. Anything overall about your day that you would have changed in any way?

Thanks again!

Scott

OK, keep in mind that we did not do the snorkeling that was available at the Chakanaab park because of the windy weather. If you plan on fitting in beach time & snorkeling then I would do Chakanaab again. The botanical gardens may not have been in their full bloom this time of the year, because they did not appear to have bountiful blooms, but we enjoyed the walk thru the gardens anyway. What I would possibly replace this with next time is going to San Gervaiso because my hubby wanted to see the actual ruins instead of the replicas shown at Chakanaab. RE: the alligators, you go down a dirt road to the lighthouse, they drop you off for approx 30 mins & then come back & pick you up. You go back down the same dirt road & stop on the way back to see the alligators. Actually, our guide only stopped approx 10 mins at the alligators, so I would allow approx 1 hr for this trip (adding on some wait time to get the on the trip).

You could stop at several beaches along the way on the east side. An alternate choice of ours was going to be Chen Rio & fellow passengers went to Senor Iguanas & liked that as well. I recommend you order the Can-Do travel map for Cozumel. I wouldn't have felt as comfortable without it.

betsyrossapk:

thanks again for the info ... quite useful!

I received my Cozumel Can-Do Travel Guide a few weeks ago, and I have also found it to be very useful ... but never as much as getting first-hand reviews from other conscientious travellers like yourself. Hopefully I will have the opportunuity to post up a few notes of our trip when we're back home.

Thanks again!

Archived