Newest Ships?

darchibald

From the cruisemates.com review of Princess:

The four elder ships in the Princess fleet are the 70,000-ton l,590-passenger Regal Princess (1991); 77,000-ton, 1,950-passenger sister ships Sun Princess (1995) and Dawn Princess (1997) and the 45,000-ton 1,200-passenger Royal Princess (1984). In May 2005, the Sea Princess (1998), sister ship of Sun and Dawn Princess, will re-join the fleet replacing the Royal Princess which will be transferred to P&O Cruises.

The Princess fleet also includes four Grand-class ships, the 109,000-ton, 2,600-passenger Grand Princess (1998), Golden Princess (2001), Star Princess (2002) and the 116,000-tons 3,100-passenger Caribbean Princess, all with plenty of entertainment options and balconies onboard. A second 116,000-ton ship, sister to Caribbean Princess, is on order for spring 2007.

In 2003 Princess added two lovely vessels, the 92,000-ton sister ships Island and Coral Princess. Sapphire and Diamond Princess, 116,000-ton, 2,670-passenger sisters entered the fleet in 2004, sailing in Alaska and Mexico.

(sorry, I missed the next paragraph)

In August, 2002 Princess Cruises purchased two former Renaissance vessels, R3 and R4. Both 684-passenger vessels, renamed the Pacific Princess and the Tahitian Princess, are sailing in Tahiti and the wider Pacific Ocean region. Following the policies of other ships in the Princess fleet, formal dress is scheduled on specified nights. Tahitian Princess sails year-round from Tahiti on 10-day sailings. The Pacific Princess operates a split deployment, sailing half the year from Sydney for P&O Cruises Australia and half for Princess in the wider Pacific region.

Several websites provide ship profiles which will give you year they came out, size, etc. You can search on some by cruise ship or cruise line. The Princess website and other cruise line sites also provide this info. Have fun checking it out! It's part of what I do in between cruises to pass the time!

You have some great advice in the above posts, I would go to the cruise lines web sites first.

My answer to you second question, the best ship I have been on is usually the one I have just sailed. Our first, Star was I believe 2 years old, the second Mercury was 7, and Sapphire was 5 months old. Just because they may be new doesn't make them better..:D

As Catmand says, newer isn't always better. Also, as you read these boards, different people on the same cruise at the same time will have completely different experiences so that one might have had a "best" and the other a "worst."

Make a list of what you'd like to do on a cruise, the amenities that are "must have," the itineraries that you'd like to go on, whether dining at any time is important or whether you like the experience of traditional dining, etc.

You're doing the right thing in asking questions. Define what's important to you and evaluate the ships accordingly.

Archived