Island Star xmas caribbean cruise! Hair advice!

Averill42

Hi All,

Been on lots of cruises with differant companies & they obviously all vary. Going on Island star for xmas & New yr its our 1st time with this company & would like to ask if i can use Travel hair straightners & a travel hairdryer, its a pain having long thick curly hair & desperate to find out.

Many thanks for your help.

Regards

Jacqui :confused:

When I was on the there were hairdryers in the cabin but not very powerful ones.

I took my straighteners and used an adaptor but no matter how long I left them on they never got more than luke warm. I gave up trying and went frizzy! Mind you after a week cruising I felt so relaxed I forgot to worry about what my hair looked like, so my advice would be to check what adaptor they reccommend but just chill if it does not work. After all the change of water and all the sea air plays havoc with your hair anyway.:cool:

PS It could also be the perfect excuse for a couple of essential visits to the Hair Salon on board, via the Spa of course!:D

We've been on the Star twice and I remember that the ship, being ex-American, is only 120 volts. Many electrical items won't perform well. My shaver charged OK but the camera batteries struggled to charge. If I had hair, I could give you an opinion on the hairdryer but my wife says she found it OK for her shortish hair.

Happy cruising!!

Hi Jacqui, I also have long curly hair and will be on the same cruise as you. I have read various posts and there are hairdryers in our cabins but I do not think they are very powerful. You are not allowed to take travel irons or travel kettles but unsure about travel hairdryers/straighteners. We will just have to have bad hair days (or put our hair up). Can't wait to go on this cruise - our 1st one and both my partner and I are celebrating big birthdays. Only a few years older than you. Would be nice to meet up on the cruise sometime. Regards, Camilla

We've been on the Star twice and I remember that the ship, being ex-American, is only 120 volts. Many electrical items won't perform well. My shaver charged OK but the camera batteries struggled to charge. If I had hair, I could give you an opinion on the hairdryer but my wife says she found it OK for her shortish hair.

Happy cruising!!

Awwwwwww bless you thanks for the rep;y, so what did you think off the ship? many kids on it? :cool:

Hi Jacqui, I also have long curly hair and will be on the same cruise as you. I have read various posts and there are hairdryers in our cabins but I do not think they are very powerful. You are not allowed to take travel irons or travel kettles but unsure about travel hairdryers/straighteners. We will just have to have bad hair days (or put our hair up). Can't wait to go on this cruise - our 1st one and both my partner and I are celebrating big birthdays. Only a few years older than you. Would be nice to meet up on the cruise sometime. Regards, Camilla

Hi Camilla,

I will take my straightners/hairdryer & see what happens :) So is it the big 50 you are celebrating? my mother-in-law will be celebrating her 94th whilst on ship bless her & she does really well.

Have you been to the caribbean before? its handy for us we have all ready done the islands & my husband was born in Trinidad so will see family there & also Tobago, got lots of info on it if you want a read. We are hiring a car in tobago i want to visit the waterfalls again.

Ther;s 5 going in our group me, hubby, his mum, my mum, & my sister so will look forward to meeting you both on ship, its nice to escape them & when they go off to bed & we stay up to enjoy the evenings.

I will have to look at my paper work & let you know our cabin No. If you want any advice on cruising or the caribbean give me a shout & maybe we can swap phone No;s if you would like to before.

Just over 4 wks to go.

Take care

Jacqui :D Excuse spelling mistakes its 03.25am :confused:

;)Hi Averil

The Island Star is well laid out and has a good selection of bars and entertainment venues. The eating arrangements are different to most cruise lines. The price you pay includes eating at the buffet style eateries. We chose to eat at the alternative restaurants for which there is a charge (around £10-£15) but we prefered to be served at the table and thought it worth it.

We have to go during school hols because of my job, so there is usually more than a few children everywhere we go. They don't really bother me too much - I just growl at them - they stay clear afterwards!!

Happy cruising.

Hi Averil

The Island Star is well laid out and has a good selection of bars and entertainment venues. The eating arrangements are different to most cruise lines. The price you pay includes eating at the buffet style eateries. We chose to eat at the alternative restaurants for which there is a charge (around £10-£15) but we prefered to be served at the table and thought it worth it.

We have to go during school hols because of my job so there is usually more than a few children everywhere we go. They don't really bother me too much - I just kick them - they stay clear afterwards!!

Happy cruising.

Hi Jacqui, I have never been to the Caribbean before and both Mike and I are so looking forward to it.:) How can I contact you? I have requested that you are my friend - do not want to give out email here and new to forums so unsure how I can contact you. We are on Aqua deck but not sure of cabin number yet (probably will not know until we get on the ship). We fly out of Gatwick on 18th December (they have just changed the flight time to 7am - early start for us). Let me know how I can contact you. Kind regards, Camilla:)

Hi Jacqui, I have never been to the Caribbean before and both Mike and I are so looking forward to it.:) How can I contact you? I have requested that you are my friend - do not want to give out email here and new to forums so unsure how I can contact you. We are on Aqua deck but not sure of cabin number yet (probably will not know until we get on the ship). We fly out of Gatwick on 18th December (they have just changed the flight time to 7am - early start for us). Let me know how I can contact you. Kind regards, Camilla:)

Hi Camilla,

We are on deck above you, we tried for Balcony but they had all gone. We are on same flight from Gatwick, so yes its an early start for us also.

I have placed my photo of me & hubby on my friend site so at least it gives you an idea of who we are when we meet.

My email address is Bacardigirl39@aol.com it should be changing within next few days 2 Jacquiedwards01@aol.co.uk

You will love the Caribbean & the people are so friendly, you may even have a steel band playing at some ports (If we are lucky) I noticed that they have two differant times for staying at each port one on internet sai's 7am-21.00 & brochure sai's 8am-17.00 I have spoken to the company & what they are saying is depending on how busy the ports are with ships if ports are rather empty then they will berth for a longer duration.

Email me.

Jacqui :)

Archived