? for NY locals

alwalaska

A couple of comments on the previous comments. Yes GWB is $8, but so is the Tappan Zee Bridge. Also the Palisades Interstate Parkway (PIP) is not free either. Don't know the tolls there. Trust me, the traffic engineers have made sure that there are very few alternatives in the NYC area to avoid a toll.

Also note that if you are on the NJTP North (and as one poster said - either way at the split immediately after you get on the main line by Newark Airport will get you to the GWB), the NJTP officially ends well before the GWB and it becomes I 80 / I 95. But it is a seemless change, the road continues, merges happen, the name changes, but you basically keep driving straight. As you travel towards the GWB, trying to get on the Palisades Parkway is rather convoluted. The easy well marked approaches are on the GWB westbound to the PIP Nortbound, and the PIP southbound to the GWB east. In the direction you are traveling, there is no easily marked exit that I can recall that gets you to the PIP - so you will likely wind up on the bridge. As another poster noted, stay to the right and follow the signs to the Henry Hudson Parkway immediately after the bridge. (I was on these roads last weekend)

Suggest you do a google map search and get a feel for the layouts and directions of all these road names and numbers that we are throwing at you. Good luck and post a reply if I can unwind any of the further confusion that I just threw at you.

When I was on the PIP the other day there was no toll (you may be thinking of the Garden State Parkway) and going across the Tappan zee was I believe $4.50.

to the OP, have fun which ever way you go, and enjoy our beautiful city.

When I was on the PIP the other day there was no toll (you may be thinking of the Garden State Parkway) and going across the Tappan zee was I believe $4.50.

to the OP, have fun which ever way you go, and enjoy our beautiful city.

Thanks. I'm sure we will have a great time no matter how we decide to travel.

Archived