Solo on NCL Jewel-Where to meet others?

rubybc62

I'll be solo on the Jewel to the Western Caribbean. First time travelling solo and I would like company for activities, dinner etc. Where could I meet others onboard for these purposes?

I've travelled NCL before but with family so I am not familiar of how to find company if travelling alone.

Howdy rubybc62! 50.gif

One thing you can do is to join the Roll Call thread for your cruise. You will get to know the other Cruise Critic members sailing with you before the cruise. Perhaps you and the others will be able to make plans for the cruise ahead of time! 05.gif

For more information about our Roll Calls, click here http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=44773 to read the Sticky thread titled What is a ROLL CALL and how do I find mine?

I sincerely hope this information will be helpful!

Kat 110105_emYA42_prv.gif

It's been a little while since my last cruise but I guess NCL still offers singles/solo meet & greet and sometimes they have a dinner arranged for solos. You could also register for the Mystery Dinner. Teppenyaki is usually nice, people don't go there for an intimate dinner, more for the cooking show and good food and tend to talk to each others.

If you book your excursions through NCL, you're sure not to be alone and you may make friends among those and you could ask them if they'd like to meet for dinner on a particular night (they might have something already planned, maybe not).

If you are just a little outgoing, I'm sure you'll meet people to have fun with and, other times, it's nice to enjoy dinner by yourself too (I usually bring a book or a piece of paper to write my review of the trip, just in case I don't like the view I have from the table).

I'll be solo on the Jewel to the Western Caribbean. First time travelling solo and I would like company for activities, dinner etc. Where could I meet others onboard for these purposes?

I've travelled NCL before but with family so I am not familiar of how to find company if travelling alone.

Just got off the Jewel yesterday and I was solo. They had a "singles meet" in the Maltings bar several nights around 6:30PM. Very lightly attended, basically the same 5 or 6 people always.

I didn't see so many singles as I did same sex couples - you know, 2 women or 2 men. Some of them were gay couples and some of them were just traveling together to save money. Sometimes it's very obvious and sometimes it isn't.

Lots of times you will see a lone person sitting at the pool or in a lounge or at the buffet. I find that "may I join you?" is a good way to find out if they are looking for friends or they want to be alone. Sometimes I'd just be making idle chat with someone and you quickly find out who's looking for someone else to eat with.

If you're not comfortable starting up a conversation with a stranger, you just have to ask someone if they're having a good time. Nobody ever refused to talk to me. Many people are nervous about starting up a conversation and are just dying for someone to talk to them first.

People also get very friendly on a cruise. When afternoon I was jogging and when I stopped I saw a woman with a bucket of beer and she said I looked thirsty, would I like one. It's amazing how friendly people can be.

I was on a 12 day cruise and the only time I ate alone was when I wanted to; I liked going up to the buffet for a light breakfast and sitting in the AFT outdoor dining area and reading a book.

Also, on a 12 day cruise you get a lot of senior citizens who get up early and turn in late. In other words, the available pool of companions is smaller. On a 7 day cruise, you're probably going to get a more lively group and more people to hang out with.

One more thing - if you like to dance, go up to the Spinnakers lounge after 11. There are always partiers up there.

Archived