Can I use my Verizon phone?

sjde

According to the Verizon website, their phones can be used on Celebrity but not Azamara. Azamara was not on the list. I spoke with them and two different people said maybe the list isn't updated! That's all they could tell me. So to get a definite answer, I am hoping to hear from someone who has actually done it, or tried and was unsuccessful.

Thanks!

Sue

I, too, spoke with Verizon on several occasions, including actually going to the store. They have no knowledge of Azamara Cruise Line. They are sending me a phone to use on land only in Western Europe. The cost is for shipping only - no charge for the phone - and that is $9.99 for a month or less. You can use your own number and put your phone book numbers into it as well. Airtime cost is $1.29/min or you can buy it down at a rate of $.99/min. buy paying an extra $4.00 or so upfront. To get this information for yourself, dial 611 on your Verizon wireless.

I can't even use Verizon successfully in Southern California!

According to the Verizon website, their phones can be used on Celebrity but not Azamara. Azamara was not on the list. I spoke with them and two different people said maybe the list isn't updated! That's all they could tell me. So to get a definite answer, I am hoping to hear from someone who has actually done it, or tried and was unsuccessful.

Thanks!

Sue

patcav-

That's very interesting. Funny the Verizon people never mentioned that option to me. IF my Verizon phone works, it will cost $2.49/minute.

I also own an international Mobal cell phone. But they too cannot guarantee me it will work on the ship! If it does, incoming calls would be $1.95/minute. Outgoing calls were alot more than the Verizon charge. This one will however, work on land, at a rate of $1.25/minute incoming and $1.50-$1.95/min. outgoing.

Sue

The information I gave you was what I was told on the 611 number. Supposedly, I spoke with their "international calls expert". Others - at the store, online, and their regular number - were not very helpful. I was told that our regular cells would definitely not work abroad, but this would. The contact person also said that only I would be charged for any calls, not the callers, and all calls would be at the $.99 rate. If someone absolutely must reach us while onboard the ship, they can call the cruise line and go from there, as Verizon doesn't seem to have an agreement with Azamara. It seems to be the only choice I have to be in contact with home, so it's worth a try. If it doesn't work, I'm only out $9.99!

I spoke with 2 more people from Azamara in the past few days. One said he successully used his CDMA cell phone (which is what American cell phone companies use) on the Journey. The other type is GMS--GSM?--which works on the ship as well, and also on land over there. You do have to speak to your service provider to make sure it allows international roaming. There is no charge--they can make the change. So I'm pretty confidentnow that my Verizon phone will work.

Sue

Yes, Verizon works. You must have Verizon turn on international roaming for your phone. Calls from the ship are billed by Verizon at 2.49 per minute. Text rate is $0.50/address sent and $.05/message received. This is the cost no matter what plan you have with Verizon. I don’t know what the data cost is, but be careful if you receive or send data on you cell phone (like a blackberry). Some people have complained about thousand dollars bills because their phone checks the internet for email, etc.

All cell service on cruise ships is provided by Wireless Maritime Services. http://www.cellularatsea.com/

Verizon, WMS, and the cruise line all get a piece of the cost.

Archived