Must sees in Europe - Italy for teens and children

calenita

Off in about a week to Europe. Will be in Barcelona, Cannes, Livorno (Planning on Pisa, maybe Lucca that day) Rome, Naples-Pompeii, Venice, Split, Malta. Are there any things anyone would especially recommend as highlights for children and young teens in these ports? Our children are 13, 12 and 8. They are excited about Venice, Colosseum, Pompeii at this point. DH and I are excited about everything. I think Malta will be great!

This is about taking the kids to Europe so we want to make it memorable for them. So I am looking for suggestions of things people found especially memorable with their kids. Thanks all. Debbi

In Malta, I highly recommend the trip to Mdina---The Silent City. Also there, the kids would probably enjoy seeing one of their glass blowing companies. You get real up close to the workers and see them ply their craft.

In Barcelona, I recommend a trip to Parque Guell and the La Segrada Familia, the famous cathedral by Antonio Gaudi.

In Venice, Piazza San Marco and the bell tower, the Bridge of Sighs, Rialto Bridge and Harry's Bar.

Any reason why you're not going into Florence? While Pisa is very nice, that takes maybe an hour. If you miss Florence, you're going to miss one of the best cities in the world. Just seeing the statue of David, the Duomo and the Ponte Vecchio is amazing.

It was interesting to see Rome so differently through the eyes of my teens last year - 15 year old son saw it through the eyes of Russel Crowe in Gladiator whilst 13 year old daughter saw it through the eyes of Lizzie McQire. Both had a blast in the whole city.They also loved Pisa.

In Lucca , you must go on a bicycle ride around the wall and through the town , stopping for gelato. It was our favorite day.

We visited Pias for the "typical" photos , then spent our day in Lucca instead of Florence.We knew we would be seeing lots of art and monuments in other cities and opted for a more "active"day.

My kids loved walking around the Palantino , eating on the grass and walking in the ruins.They really enjoyed the Coliseum.

In Venice , they loved , loved , loved the gondola ride and hanging out in the square.

We opted for Monaco in Villefranche and had a lovely time at the Palace -spectacular views.

Everyone really enjoyed Pompeii and a drive along the stunning Amalfi Coast. We went to Ravello for pizza and it was our favorite stop in that area.

Have a great time!

Kim

Calentina--

Oh-my-gosh! What a fun trip you have planned.

We returned from a trip to Barcelona and Med cruise earlier this year, and had a FABULOUS time. Find lots of good info here, at the world's longest review I wrote:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=820569

So many fun things to do in many of those places.

CeleBrat

Thanks for the input. Keep it coming. I think it is going to be a fantastic trip!!!!

What I am thinking now -

Barcelona - Embarkation Day if time - Museo Maritimo (the old Medieval Shipyards) Columbus Monument

Cannes - Wandering around the Boulevard, Monaco and the palace, possibly St. Paul de Vence

Livorno - Pisa and then Lucca if time allows

Civattavechia - Rome - Colosseum, Forum, Pantheon, St Peters

Naples - Pompeii for sure - still deciding on the rest of the day. I'd like to see the archeological museum in Naples. DD wants to climb Mt. Vesuvius and DH wants to go to Capri.

Venice - St. Marks, Doges Palace, just wandering and wandering

Split - old city and any suggestions????

Malta - Mdina, Hagar Quim, in Valetta the museum with the history of the Knights (in the old hospital) and also the Malta experience.

Barcelona - Barri Gotic, Cathedral, Parc Guell, Pueblo Espanol, Sagrada Familia, Museum of the City and Montserrat

We aren't going to Florence because we felt the children would enjoy Pisa and possibly Lucca more and we don't want them to burn out before Rome and Pompeii. We are doing all this mostly on our own except Naples.

In Barcellona do the football stadium, my big kids (husband) loved it but so did my 2 yr old son. I also quite enjoyed seeing where the sexy footballers get bathed and the museum bit was very interesting with all the old and new football legends. Also las rambles is great.

Take the kids to Florence. We went last summer and although my kids are a lot younger than yours they enjoyed the icecream palours. Myself I loved the shopping and the whole atmosphere. We did Florence, Piza and Rome in 2 days and the kids were fine.

Rome is fantastic and no matter what you do you cannot fail to enjoy, Its quite a way from the port (2hrs by bus) but well worth it. We have been twice now and still havent covered everything. Colluseum was a definate but the queues to get inside were unbelievable.

In Monaco go to the castle, the quaint streets are lovely and montecarlo is a must and only a few minutes away. The lavish shops and cars are a great photo oportunity as well as the formula 1 circuit.

Thanks for the input. Keep it coming. I think it is going to be a fantastic trip!!!!

What I am thinking now -

Barcelona - Embarkation Day if time - Museo Maritimo (the old Medieval Shipyards) Columbus Monument

Cannes - Wandering around the Boulevard, Monaco and the palace, possibly St. Paul de Vence

Livorno - Pisa and then Lucca if time allows

Civattavechia - Rome - Colosseum, Forum, Pantheon, St Peters

Naples - Pompeii for sure - still deciding on the rest of the day. I'd like to see the archeological museum in Naples. DD wants to climb Mt. Vesuvius and DH wants to go to Capri.

Venice - St. Marks, Doges Palace, just wandering and wandering

Split - old city and any suggestions????

Malta - Mdina, Hagar Quim, in Valetta the museum with the history of the Knights (in the old hospital) and also the Malta experience.

Barcelona - Barri Gotic, Cathedral, Parc Guell, Pueblo Espanol, Sagrada Familia, Museum of the City and Montserrat

We aren't going to Florence because we felt the children would enjoy Pisa and possibly Lucca more and we don't want them to burn out before Rome and Pompeii. We are doing all this mostly on our own except Naples.

We did many of the same cities this past summer with children 7, 12, and 14. They enjoyed all the cities and your plan looks exciting. A few thoughts/suggestions came to mind...

Barcelona: Should consider a stroll around Las Rambla, the mimes and vendors there from late afternoon thru the evenining are truely unique.

Florence or not, we shared your concern that the trio of Naples, Civattavechia, and Livorno are exhausting to do back to back to back with long drives to Amalfi, Florence and Rome at each. No question Pisa and climbing the tower was a highlight but takes less then an hour to do if you get tickets ahead of time or arrive early ( we arrived by 8:15 ). Florence is special. It is true it will be like Rome a rushed affair but you miss David/Accademia, St Croce, Ponte Vechio, Dumo, Uffizi, Piazza della Signoria. In the end we decided that kids could rest up and do nothing in Marsaille :D For us it was good it was the last of the three and not the first.

Rome: I suprised you aren't trying to squeeze in the Vatican Museum and Sistine Chapel.

Naples: Amalfi is a long drive, but traffic now should be light. I was surprised that even my 7 year old took joy in eating right along the cliffs with views of the coast. I heard great things about Capri and now that that it is off season I probably would have done that instead of Amalfi like you are thinking.

Have a great trip with the family!

Barcelona- We did the hop-on-hop-off bus, which circumnavigates the city. My then 6 year old and I really enjoyed this.

Rome- The Vatican is a must. Then the Colluseum and the Forum.

Naples- Pompeii and Herculaum

Cannes- I would just chill. Monte Carlo is nice but the kids will need some down time.

Livorno- We did the Cinque Terre ship's tour, which was fabulous but they might not have tours there this time of year.

Have a wonderful time. Remember that the 7 year can stay onboard in the youth program if you want to do some adult excursions also.

Archived