Transatlantic - is it safe!

EssexGary

I have been on 2 East bound TA's X/Millie & Princess/Crown both were fine. I have one booked in April on RCI/Navigator. Crossed the Pacific going to Hawaii on X/Infinity. I find the crossing's in the Pacific a lot rougher it is much larger ocen then the Atlantic. Shame on Cunard for making that statement to convience more passengers to sail with them. In all of my 25 sailings I have never heard a captain knock another cruise line.

If anyone knows about the construction of QM2 as an ocean liner versus a cruise ship--you would not challenge the OP....I believe it is safe on other ships but will do my TA only on QM2--it is built to enjoy inside & has many strong design features if seas get rough--Just MHO.. We are X fans but for TA it will be QM 2

Hi hcat....I feel the same way :)

Based on my research, even though a regular cruise ship is safe it does navigate rough seas as well as an ocean liner.

I realize that for some people being tossed around is part of the thrill of doing a crossing, but I would rather have as smooth a ride as possible.

This thread seems to have piqued some interest!

From my own knowledge of ships I understand the difference in the shape of the hulls of cruise ships versus true ocean liners and this does have an effect on the way they ride through the roughest of seas. However, in answer to the OP's question there is no doubt in my mind that modern day cruise ships are perfectly capable and more to the point safe to cross the Atlantic. There's no way they'd be allowed to sail the route if they weren't. More relevant perhaps is the comfort level comparing the two when the seas are rough, although having said that we had some pretty heavy weather at times on Constellation in Autumn 2007 and she rode it perfectly well (even if the name "Constellation" painted on the side had been sea blasted by the time we got to Newfoundland).

Sometimes you are also safer in the middle of the Atlantic. QE2's hull was badly damaged one time and that was just off the East Coast, when she grounded.

From what I have read there seems to be a lot of snobbery around by some aficianados who will have you believe there is no other way to cross the Atlantic other than by ocean liner. I tend to disagree having experienced a crossing on a cruise ship. It's all about the experience and I loved it.

Phil

Hi hcat....I feel the same way :)

Based on my research, even though a regular cruise ship is safe it does navigate rough seas as well as an ocean liner.

I realize that for some people being tossed around is part of the thrill of doing a crossing, but I would rather have as smooth a ride as possible.

Oops...That should have been - even though a regular cruise ship is safe, it DOESN'T navigate rough seas as well as an ocean liner

Well, you gave our household a good chuckle!

My wife and I have sailed (literally) the Atlantic in our very small, 34ft sailboat three times and in a cruise ship 3 times (and I numerous times in warships of various sizes), so we were very amused to read of concerns in crossing in a ship.

We have always felt safe at sea! The time when WE do not feel safe is when we visit countries where high rates of gun related crime are prevalent

Just relax!

The main difference between a cruise ship and an ocean liner is supposed to be the draft of the ship. Essentially the draft on the ship will make the sailing at full speed more comfortable on the high seeds. Most transatlantic cruises don't travel at full speed for fuel savings and for the comfort of passengers. So it's not really a concern.

I was on the Brilliance for our first Transatlantic and the weather was rough (there was the tail end of a storm that we went through) and the going was rough. But someone had an accident and they decided to go full speed across the ocean to get us to Azores. At full speed you can't keep the stabilizers on and the ship was damn steady right across the ocean (and we arrived in the Azores a day ahead of time.)

The QM2 has a draft of 10m. The QE2 had a draft of 9.87 m. The Solstice has a draft of 8.23 m. The Brilliance of the Seas has a draft of 8.5m.

Really the drafts aren't that different. At top speed it might make a difference, but you won't be going at top speed and will be travelling with stabilizers.

I found your post to be most fascinating!

Can you tell me what the draft is on Azamara Journey, we are doing the TA in Dec. and I think this would be neat to know!!:)

We've done 4 TA's and the only time we didn't feel safe was when they'd play the theme from the Titanic during dinner:D

We asked the Maitre D'ee to change the music. No problem. She hadn't noticed the music.

Yeah, in the same type of irony, on my last flight on WS/Westjet, Discovery Channel were showing "Mayday" on the seatback TVs.

Archived