RCI onboard tux rental question

HMSDingy

there are plenty of them, if you are an usual size like big or tall then I would pre-order it but if that is not the case you should be fine renting on board.

Thanks. I'm considered a regular size :D so I shouldn't have a problem.

finding the tux.

On our last 4 Princess cruises I have always rented a tux but after reading the formal wear threads here on this board and the diffrenet suggested attire on the RCI ships, I am between a rock an a hard place as to renting a tux. RCI has smart casual which means I would have to wear a jacket. Bringing a suit would remedy this situation as a jacket on a nice pair of dockers would be just fine and bringing 2 shirts and 2 ties makes for 2 different outfits. What is your experience as to the % of tuxes vs suits?

Again, sorry for the questions. I am particular of how I dress and careful of the clothes I wear. DW loves the fact that I iron my own shirts. In fact I even iron my son's shirts:D!

I think it depends on the ship and time of year somewhat. We cruised in Oct. and there were A LOT of tuxes, but there were a lot of retired aged folks and not a lot of young people (I kind of felt like it was the "old way" of cruising, a time of dressing up and elegance). Given that you're on a 12 day (I think?) w/3 formal nights, I would bet that the first 2 nights you'd have a lot of tuxes and then the 3rd night would relax a bit.

The RCCL website directs you to two different places to rent depending on what ship you are sailing on. I think the newer, larger ships have their own tux operation onboard is the reason why.

I got one on the Brilliance this past fall and it was great. They even had my W-I-D-E shoes. The only drawbacks I had was that I only got two shirts even though we had 3 formals (knew that in advance though) and I was really disappointed in that I paid extra for the vest instead of cumperbund and they gave me one of those cheapo fake vests:mad:. I chose the vest because after dinner, I wanted to stay dressed up but ditch the big heavy jacket. Being in a vest keeps you dressed up,; but wearing a fake vest out to party around the ship looks rather dorky, so I had to keep the jacket with me.

As stated before, I have always rented a tux We're sailing on the Jewel for a 10-nighter end of month so that means 2 formal nights. I was told that the Jewel has its own rental service and that I shouldn't have problems renting once onboard. I'm just a little hesitant this time around renting the tux.

As stated before, I have always rented a tux We're sailing on the Jewel for a 10-nighter end of month so that means 2 formal nights. I was told that the Jewel has its own rental service and that I shouldn't have problems renting once onboard. I'm just a little hesitant this time around renting the tux.

We did the Panama route last year and our sailing was very dressy. This year on the Jewel Transatlantic I would say it was 75% tuxes, it was probably the dressiest cruise I have been on. About the same on sports jackets on smart casual nights.

We did the Panama route last year and our sailing was very dressy. This year on the Jewel Transatlantic I would say it was 75% tuxes, it was probably the dressiest cruise I have been on. About the same on sports jackets on smart casual nights.

The reason for my being hesitant, is that on several threads regarding formal wear on RCI ships, the 2 camps were so fiercely competitive, it was downright scary. :eek:

That being said, I'll decide this weekend what to do. But unless I bring an extra sports jacket, the suit would be more flexible in that I can wear the jacket over dockers thus taking care of smart caual nights.

The reason for my being hesitant, is that on several threads regarding formal wear on RCI ships, the 2 camps were so fiercely competitive, it was downright scary. :eek:

That being said, I'll decide this weekend what to do. But unless I bring an extra sports jacket, the suit would be more flexible in that I can wear the jacket over dockers thus taking care of smart caual nights.

Keep in mind only about 1-2% of ALL cruisers even know about this site. Don't let them influence your decision. You will see a wide variety and there are still plenty who wear tuxes, my own hubby included.

Point well made and taken. We don't dress up except for weddings and to be honest we enjoy that part of the cruise and wear our formal attire the whole night. I guess wearring nice slacks and a collared shirt would pass as smart casual.

Point well made and taken. We don't dress up except for weddings and to be honest we enjoy that part of the cruise and wear our formal attire the whole night. I guess wearring nice slacks and a collared shirt would pass as smart casual.

We also love dressing up and stay dressed formally the whole evening. And yes nice slacks and a polo shirt are fine though you won't be out of place if you want to throw a sports jacket over it.

Archived