What do you think of our plans?

NightRN

This is an extended family trip on Radiance of the Seas departing July 3, 2009. Please keep in mind that we have to keep Grandma and Grandpa happy as well as the kids. So, if there are any physical limitation considerations, please let me know. My parents are in pretty good shape, but my mother does have an artificial hip. Also, I don't have an activity intensive family, so although there is tons of stuff I would love to do, too much planning will send my husband overboard.

The plan is to fly into Seattle on June 29 and spend a couple of days sightseeing around Seattle. This was originally planned when I thought my son would be stationed in Seattle at that time. Now he is in Washington DC for the Ceremonial Guard, so if this is a waste of time, please let me kow.

We will be taking the train from Seattle to Vancouver on July 1. We'll sightsee the rest of that day and July 2 in Vancouver.

July 3 - Get on board early for our cruise. I would like to get a massage that day. We'll mostly just relax and explore the ship the rest of the day.

Ketchikan - We plan on walking around town, in the rainforest and maybe seeing the fish hatchery. I would also like to do the horsedrawn trolley ride.

Juneau - I definitely want to see Glacier Gardens. For the rest of the day right now it's a toss up between the photo safari or Harv and Marv's whale watching tour. I'm leaning towards Harv and Marv, but Eileen hasn't e-mailed me back yet to find out if they have room for us.

Skagway - We will definitely be doing the Musher's Camp. The rest of the time we just want to walk through town and do as we please.

Icy Strait Point - If we don't get to go with Harv and Marv, I'm checking into the whale watching tour here with FISHES. If we do go with Harv and Marv, this will be a relaxing day onboard.

Seward - Sealife Center and a Kenai Fjords Tour. I would like to spend a couple of days here. I was looking at staying at the Breeze Inn.

We'll take the train to Anchorage and fly back home. Any thoughts?

We are doing the same itinerary only southbound on May 29. We won'd have our kids with us, just my dad who will be 77. We are staying at the Breeze Inn in Seward. When I called for our reservations, they were very friendly and helpful. We'll be doing Kenai Fjords and possibly the Sea Life Center.

ISP-- dad didn't want to go whale watching, so just a relaxing day.

Skagway -- Chilkoot train to Carcross.

Juneau -- Taku Lodge, possibly Roberts tramway

Ketchikan -- sea kayaks

Vancouver -- just explore on our own, rent a car, drive to Seattle,explore Seattle, fly home the next day.

I'm not sure if you can get a massage the first day, it seems like they are just giving tours and taking appointments then. You don't say how old your kids are, but I know mine (21-3) aren't much into sight seeing. You may have to compromise some days between keeping kids happy and keeping adults happy. There will be plenty on board ship for everyone though.

Have a wonderful time!!

Your plans sound awfully good to me however you may care to look at the White Pass & Yukon railway trip to the summit in Skagway. Also while I am probably a bit biased being a native Vancouverite, I think Vancouver has much more in terms of scenery and attractions then Seattle so you may want to spend and extra day in Vancouver.

Ketchikan - We plan on walking around town, in the rainforest and maybe seeing the fish hatchery. I would also like to do the horsedrawn trolley ride.

Juneau - I definitely want to see Glacier Gardens. For the rest of the day right now it's a toss up between the photo safari or Harv and Marv's whale watching tour. I'm leaning towards Harv and Marv, but Eileen hasn't e-mailed me back yet to find out if they have room for us.

Skagway - We will definitely be doing the Musher's Camp. The rest of the time we just want to walk through town and do as we please.

Icy Strait Point - If we don't get to go with Harv and Marv, I'm checking into the whale watching tour here with FISHES. If we do go with Harv and Marv, this will be a relaxing day onboard.

Seward - Sealife Center and a Kenai Fjords Tour. I would like to spend a couple of days here. I was looking at staying at the Breeze Inn.

We'll take the train to Anchorage and fly back home. Any thoughts?

Not sure what you mean by "rainforrest" in Ketchikan, but you would need to get out of town, if you truely want this?? A rental car to Ward Lake, Preserverence Trail, Totem Bight etc. will offer you way more, than what is walkable in town. The hatchery here is small and you are way too early for any salmon run. The hatchery out of Juneau, is more informative.

In Juneau, you would save time if you visit the gardens then, cab to your whale watch, if booked. They also may pick up/drop off??

Skagway, the musher's camp here is a very high cost tour. If you want to consider more, perhaps, get a rental car and drive the Klondike Highway, a top touring choice, in my opinion. Then make a stop at Caribou Crossing for a look at the sled dogs and cart rides. Overall cost, for WAY MORE, would be less than the Skagway tour.

At the very least, get off your ship in Hoonah. None of the ports are "relax" on the ship days, again my opinion only. They all offer something of interest to most, and there is some nice dock area features to consider.

The Breeze Inn is in an excellent location for the boat tours, but with mobility limitations you would need a cab to the Sealife Center. It's a basic motel.

Not sure what you mean by "rainforrest" in Ketchikan, but you would need to get out of town, if you truely want this?? A rental car to Ward Lake, Preserverence Trail, Totem Bight etc. will offer you way more, than what is walkable in town. The hatchery here is small and you are way too early for any salmon run. The hatchery out of Juneau, is more informative.

In Juneau, you would save time if you visit the gardens then, cab to your whale watch, if booked. They also may pick up/drop off??

Skagway, the musher's camp here is a very high cost tour. If you want to consider more, perhaps, get a rental car and drive the Klondike Highway, a top touring choice, in my opinion. Then make a stop at Caribou Crossing for a look at the sled dogs and cart rides. Overall cost, for WAY MORE, would be less than the Skagway tour.

At the very least, get off your ship in Hoonah. None of the ports are "relax" on the ship days, again my opinion only. They all offer something of interest to most, and there is some nice dock area features to consider.

The Breeze Inn is in an excellent location for the boat tours, but with mobility limitations you would need a cab to the Sealife Center. It's a basic motel.

As always, thank you very much for your insight.

As far as the rainforest, I just want to be able to walk around, smell the air, feel the earth and take pictures of the plant life. It doesn't have to be anything fancy. I just love to take the opportunity to "stop and smell the roses". With your info, we will probably skip the hatchery.

Eileen with Harv & Marv's did email me back saying that they have space in the afternoon. Does anyone think that 1 pm to 6 pm would be a good time? We'll take Budget Queen's suggestion for doing the Gardens in the morning. That'll be better light for photos anyway.

In Skagway, DH is dead set on driving "away from the ship". :rolleyes: So, I'll have to spend more $ and forever wonder what kind've cool drive that would've been.

I have a secret plan for Hoonah. ;) As I mentioned previously, the family doesn't like to "overplan". But, when the time comes, I'll just happen to wake up and mention that I feel like getting off the ship for a while. I'm sure they'll just happen to go with me. If they don't, I'll have a nice time on my own. But, it won't be "planned".

Your plans sound awfully good to me however you may care to look at the White Pass & Yukon railway trip to the summit in Skagway. Also while I am probably a bit biased being a native Vancouverite, I think Vancouver has much more in terms of scenery and attractions then Seattle so you may want to spend and extra day in Vancouver.

Being from that area, what would you recommend in Vancouver for all of us? DH always says he would rather see things that the people who live there go to than the "touristy" things.

The list is endless and it will depend upon how much time you wish to spend in Vancouver and your energy level however; in no particular order:

Stanley Park, at a 1000 acres in some 60+ years I still haven't seen it all.

Granville Island, a festival market where unrban Vancouverites go to shop.

Queen Elizabeth Park, great views over the city towards the north shore montains

VanDuessen Gardens, excellent botanical gardens

Gastown, a bit touristy but where Vancouver began

Cypress Bowl, Seymour Mtn, & Lynn Canyon Suspension Bridge, where Vancouverites would go....works best if you have a car.

Capilano Suspension Bridge and Grouse Mtn Skyride, a bit touristy but easy to access with tours or transit.

Robson St., lots of unique shops .... another urban Vancouver hot shopping area.

SeaBus, ride across Burrard Inlet (Vancouver's harbour) and visit the fesitval market of Lonsdale Quay....only about 1/10 the size of Granville Market but the SeaBus trip makes it interesting.

That is about 3 days worth of things to do.

A few comments:

I would bias non-cruise days farther north in Anchorage or at least Vancouver. Seattle is great, but its fairly quick and inexpensive to visit from the southwest. ANC and YVR are a lot more expensive and time-consuming to visit as a separate vacation in the future.

July 1 is Canada Day; the border crossing could be very congested if you're driving from SEA. A local can comment on this. On the positive side, there are probably some great special events going on.

Harv & Marv are taking a break now that the season is over. Other posts report that Eileen does reply; just need to give it some time. It was one of the highlights of our trip.

In Ketchikan the hatchery is adjacent to Totem Heritage Museum. It was interesting to see all the historic totems out of the elements in a state of arrested decay. After our kayak excursion we took the tram up to Cape Fox Lodge, hiked over to Totem Heritage, down Creek Street, then visited the SE Alaska Interpretive Center.

Have you been to the Dr. Sun Yat Sen Classical Garden? If so, how was it?

Yes and by all means it is something worthwhile seeing but it would be a visit that would require 30 mins....an hour at the most. Here is a link for your convenience. I should add that as July 1st is Canada Day there is ordinarily a fireworks display at Canada Place and of course as it is a national holiday there will be losts of other activities and the city will be busy. You have indicated that you are taking the train and that will not be impacted at at the border.

http://www.vancouverchinesegarden.com/

Yes and by all means it is something worthwhile seeing but it would be a visit that would require 30 mins....an hour at the most. Here is a link for your convenience. I should add that as July 1st is Canada Day there is ordinarily a fireworks display at Canada Place and of course as it is a national holiday there will be losts of other activities and the city will be busy. You have indicated that you are taking the train and that will not be impacted at at the border.

http://www.vancouverchinesegarden.com/

That would be awesome! The kids were pretty bummed about missing the fireworks on the 4th of July.

Archived