EWR locals please help

Frequent Floater

I am trying to book my return flight from Newark (using miles) after our cruise from the Carnival Triumph. My question is the time frame to get from the pier to the airport on a Sat morning for a 11:27am flight? We are platinum so could get a vip early debark tag but I thing it would still be very difficult to do. Ideas or suggestions really appreciated.

I can't switch airports because we are flying into Newark as well..

A Saturday morning should not have any traffic issues, so I would think you could be at EWR in about 1/2 hour after you leave the ship. I am asuming you will take a cab. Make sure they take the Lincoln Tunnel and the NJ Turnpike. They will want you to pay the tolls, but if you let them take the free routes, you could double your travel time. This all assumes you are docking on in Manhattan...yes???

IF you miss your flight, you could spend DAYS until there is another opening for FF tickets.

11:27 departure means you have to be OFF the ship by 8:30AM and into a car service/taxi by no later than 9:00AM. 1/2 hour MAY be doable on Saturday morning, but one little glitch, one little road construction hiccup, the ship late into port, one person not paying their bill on time, etc. etc. and you MAY miss your flight.

Isn't there a later flight???

Thanks so very much for that info. I am not one to want to cut things so close in the first place. Not worth all the worry the night before either.. As of today the 1127 am flight is the latest for the FF miles. We might have to stay another night or wait a while longer to see if a later flight pops up for availability..

Our first trip to NY and not being familiar with the areas and time needed, you all have helped allot.

I have a group (15+) of us doing this sailing together so will be researching a shuttle or car company to pick us all up when arriving and transfering us to our hotel in the Upper West side, then from the hotel to the pier and finally pier back to EWR..

If you have any referals, I would appreciate that info as well.

Thanks again

Thanks so very much for that info. I am not one to want to cut things so close in the first place. Not worth all the worry the night before either.. As of today the 1127 am flight is the latest for the FF miles. We might have to stay another night or wait a while longer to see if a later flight pops up for availability..

Our first trip to NY and not being familiar with the areas and time needed, you all have helped allot.

I have a group (15+) of us doing this sailing together so will be researching a shuttle or car company to pick us all up when arriving and transfering us to our hotel in the Upper West side, then from the hotel to the pier and finally pier back to EWR..

If you have any referals, I would appreciate that info as well.

Thanks again

i'm using d&g (i think that's it....it's on my blog!) haven't used them yet, bUT rich answers emails realy fast! found good reviews too....we shall see

i'm using d&g (i think that's it....it's on my blog!) haven't used them yet, bUT rich answers emails realy fast! found good reviews too....we shall see

Great job on the blog. Lots of good info. I will share it with my group so they too can get some good info without much effort.

Thanks for sharing

You can always get a room at Newark Airport. What do you consider to be reasonable?

Aside from Jersey Garden Mall, there is not much to do out there. Have you considered checking your luggage in NY ((http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...uggage+storage), spending the day there, and then going out to the airport in the evening? There is both train and bus service to the airport from Manhattan.

You can always get a room at Newark Airport. What do you consider to be reasonable?

Aside from Jersey Garden Mall, there is not much to do out there. Have you considered checking your luggage in NY ((http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...uggage+storage), spending the day there, and then going out to the airport in the evening? There is both train and bus service to the airport from Manhattan.

Thanks. We are sepending 5 days in Manhattan pre cruise and hope to see most of the major cites there so thought maybe just something simple for the 1 day post cruise..

After the sticker shock of Manhattan rates, reasonable would be under $200 a room. I am a light sleeper so not sure if right at the airport is the best idea but near might be just as bad??

Great idea on the luggage though if we were not spending the 5 day pre.. Thank you

You should have no problem getting a hotel room for under $200. Look at Meg's website from an earlier posting. If you stay at Country Inn, at least you will have access to the Jersey Garden Mall. Otherwise, you'll be trapped in an airport hotel with nowhere to go.

you're welcome! on a weekend....getting a room by EWR under 200 bucks should be easy.....

SKIP the days hotel (was a BW, it's still yucky) and the BW West...I would also skip the Wyndham Garden...

the ones on Glimcher Realty way (Courtyard, Residence inn, Country Inn) at least have a restaurant nearby, and the aforementioned outlet mall.....and they are newer.....

all will have airport transportation.....so you should be fine! it's not the most exciting area in the galaxy, but there's enough to amuse you.....or you can just sleep!

You guys are so great with the info..

I would rather not stay in something less desirable even if it means nothing much around to do.. After 5 full days in NYC and a 7 day cruise, sleep is probably not a bad idea..

hahaha! we try to be helpful here......let us know what you decide.....

I have it narrowed down to Country Inn and the Hilton.. Any dis/advantages one over the other for those in the know..

I'll check on Priceline to see if avail next Oct.. Thanks

Are you driving or flying..i forget. the CI is by a Ruby Tuesday, jersey gardens diner (www.jerseygardensdiner.net) and jersey gardens outlet mall so you'd have something to do. (all walkable, or the hotel shuttle SHOULD take you across the street) and the CI is easier to get to if you fly, plus the parking is free (if needed).

Are you driving or flying..i forget. the CI is by a Ruby Tuesday, jersey gardens diner (www.jerseygardensdiner.net) and jersey gardens outlet mall so you'd have something to do. (all walkable, or the hotel shuttle SHOULD take you across the street) and the CI is easier to get to if you fly, plus the parking is free (if needed).

Flying in and out of NJ EWR, that is why we are having to find a hotel in NJ for the one night post. Delta did not have a later than 11:35 am flight avail using miles. Not worth the stress to TRY and make that.

There are 4 of us staying that extra night after spending 5 days pre cruise in NYC..Funds will be tight, like our clothing I'm sure by then..

I did put a cc hold on the CI as they had the 1 bedroom suite which works out cheaper than 1 standard rooms.. I will do as suggested and try priceline when the time gets closer..

Thanks again for all everyones help..

Flying in and out of NJ EWR, that is why we are having to find a hotel in NJ for the one night post. Delta did not have a later than 11:35 am flight avail using miles. Not worth the stress to TRY and make that.

There are 4 of us staying that extra night after spending 5 days pre cruise in NYC..Funds will be tight, like our clothing I'm sure by then..

I did put a cc hold on the CI as they had the 1 bedroom suite which works out cheaper than 1 standard rooms.. I will do as suggested and try priceline when the time gets closer..

Thanks again for all everyones help..

that's what i thought....but sometimes the brain just explodes! happy hunting! the 1 BR at the CI is decent sized..not huge, but certainly workable!

and you're welcome...let us know if you need anything else...welcome to jersey!

So I hear a cab fare from the hotels is around $50 -60 dollars... any other suggestions on how to get to the pier cheaper besides lugging luggage back to EWR and taking a $15pp shuttle to the port?

Also is there a store near the Jersey outlet that is walkable from country inn and suites?

Thanks Meg.

I wish we could afford to stay a few days and enjoy Jersey. I really wanted to see "the shore" to compare our California beaches to them.. Oh well just have to plan another trip to do that..

I am also looking for a transfer for our trip from the ship to the CI for 4 - 5 persons. We still also need transfers from EWR to Upper West Side Manhattan and transfer from our hotel there to the Manhattan pier..Would prefer to use same company. Any suggestions are most welcome

Archived