Ferry from Barcelona to Rome (port)

My wife are considering doing a Transatlantic next spring and want to end up in Rome as we want to spend some time there after the cruise seeing the Eternal City's sights. One of the options we are looking at are cruises that end in Barcelona.

I have looked at airlines that fly between Barcelona and Rome and although there are some most want to take you someplace else first. I found a couple of articles on travel sights about a couple of companies that offer ferry service between Barcelona and Rome.

What I am trying to find out whether anyone from CC has ever taken one of these ferries. We obviously won't have a car or motorhome. But they do offer cabins for passengers. The trip evidently takes a little over 24 hours and there are some places on board to get food.

One review even mentioned a club class that included meals although in looking at the two sites I was able to find I couldn't find much info on their sites. Luckily they do offer an English version as well as the Italian one but neither site was very easy to manipulate.

Here is one of the sites I found.

http://www.trasmediterranea.es/trasmeweb/inicio.do

and another one on a ferry site.

http://www.directferries.co.uk/grimaldi_ferries.htm

What I am trying to find out and couldn't seem to find on the two sites above was what the cabins and interior of the ship actually look like. I am also very interested in anyone who has actually made this trip on either line and could tell me about their experience.

My wife has health problems which make flying difficult so we try to minimize it if we can. I know we will end up having to fly back from Rome at some point but that is a whole different issue.

Thanks for your help and have a great next cruise.

My wife are considering doing a Transatlantic next spring and want to end up in Rome as we want to spend some time there after the cruise seeing the Eternal City's sights. One of the options we are looking at are cruises that end in Barcelona.

I have looked at airlines that fly between Barcelona and Rome and although there are some most want to take you someplace else first. I found a couple of articles on travel sights about a couple of companies that offer ferry service between Barcelona and Rome.

What I am trying to find out whether anyone from CC has ever taken one of these ferries. We obviously won't have a car or motorhome. But they do offer cabins for passengers. The trip evidently takes a little over 24 hours and there are some places on board to get food.

One review even mentioned a club class that included meals although in looking at the two sites I was able to find I couldn't find much info on their sites. Luckily they do offer an English version as well as the Italian one but neither site was very easy to manipulate.

My wife has health problems which make flying difficult so we try to minimize it if we can. I know we will end up having to fly back from Rome at some point but that is a whole different issue.

Thanks for your help and have a great next cruise.

Have not made the trip but have considered it. Your post got my curiosity up and did some looking. Check out Grimaldi at http://www.grimaldi-ferries.com/england/index.jsp?lan=EN . Click on the like on the left that says "Welcome Cruise Barcelona". They have a pretty extensive slide show showing the ship and accomodations. Trip is about 20 hrs at $736 (for 2) to Civitavecchia. Add for train trip to Rome.

Alternative would be 1cl train to Milan then on to Rome at about $766 (for 2). Time and money almost a toss-up.

If the idea is getting to Rome, I'd fly with Vueling (low cost, but extra baggage gets expensive). A very nice airline.

If the travel itself is the idea, I can't help you with the ferry. the night train is very nice (but, then, I love train travel).

Archived