Just came back from diving in Tahiti. Any questions????

cruzegirl

ahhhhhh.... Tahiti and her islands....the best diving I have ever done. My favorite dive spot was in Bora Bora, and also great snorkling at the Sheridan Hotel on Moorea. I don't have any questions, but I can't wait to go back...

We're thinking about going to Tahiti and was wondering about snorkeling. Are there any areas where you can go in shallow water and still see beautiful fish, etc. By shallow, I mean that it will be most likely off of the shore in a depth of about 8 feet or less.

Thanks

We're thinking about going to Tahiti and was wondering about snorkeling. Are there any areas where you can go in shallow water and still see beautiful fish, etc. By shallow, I mean that it will be most likely off of the shore in a depth of about 8 feet or less.

Thanks

Where will you be in Tahiti? Are you doing a land vacation or cruise? We stayed in Moorea and the lagoon, is quite shallow where the Intercontinental hotel is. On Bora Bora, if you go right down the main street, there is a beach area for snorkeling. A van will take you there if you plan to go to Bloody Mary's afterwards. But it's not the best snorkeling, but ok. There are several excursions that offer shallow snorkeling. Give me some more info.

Where will you be in Tahiti? Are you doing a land vacation or cruise? We stayed in Moorea and the lagoon, is quite shallow where the Intercontinental hotel is. On Bora Bora, if you go right down the main street, there is a beach area for snorkeling. A van will take you there if you plan to go to Bloody Mary's afterwards. But it's not the best snorkeling, but ok. There are several excursions that offer shallow snorkeling. Give me some more info.

We are just in the planning stages, so we don't know yet if we are going on a cruise or not. A cruise is our most favorite way to travel, but if it's easy to see all there is to see without doing a cruise, we may opt to do that. We will be going in June of next year, as this vacation will be in celebration of our 40th Anniversary, so we want to make it very special with renewal of vows, etc. How many days do you feel would be good to see everything?

Is there a lot of sea life to see at the lagoon in Moorea? Is the snorkeling excursions that offer the shallow snorkeling off of the shore? Do you have any info on those excursions? I love to snorkel, but the depth of the water is always an issue with me wherever we go. I can swim very well, but just don't like the ocean depths. We were in Hawaii a couple of years ago and found the most perfect snorkel spot off of the shore in Kona where you could snorkel in a huge area that had very beautiful, abundant sea life and the water depth was never over 6-7 feet. I guess that I'm looking for a place that is similar to that.

We really don't know much about Tahiti at all, so any info that you can give us would really be appreciated.

Thanks so much for your help!!!

Trudy

Hi Trudy,

Ok, Tahiti is beautiful and you'll enjoy spending at least 2 weeks there. That's how long we were there and felt it wasn't enough. lol. Truly lovely.

That said, I would try some way to do a cruise. The Islands are a similar situation to Hawaii. Only Moorea & Papeete are close enough to travel by ferry. All the others require flying. Just makes it more expensive and harder to get to. The cruises usually go to at least 5-6 Islands so you get a good taste for them. I would recommend that if you can, do Moorea or Bora Bora as a land part before or after the cruise. Again, Moorea you can ferry too. Bora Bora you have to fly too. Moorea was our favorite Island.

Our snorkeling excursions were with Princess mostly. We did March's Motu picnic on Huahine. Just google him. He'll come up and you can see what he offers. He one of the most popular excursions. And I see why. It was awesome.

Ok, must run. I'm flying today for family stuff.

We were on a 10 day princess cruise in April... wish I was back there right NOW!!! I was a first time snorkeler on this trip, I did 3 different snorkels and each was amazing and different!!! Marc's in Huahine was great, I highly recommend it (drift snorkel). We did A tour with Bruno in Raiatea which included a Pearl farm and an outrigger over to Tahaa to do an incredible but shallow trip thru a coral garden. Not for the beginner (at least that day), but I managed to pull it off and it was beautiful! The one I highly reccommed is on Bora Bora. WE had the most awesome day with Damien. His web site is damien@boraboraphotolagoon.com. The snorkeling was off his boat for about 1 1/2 hours, then a trip to a private motu (uninhabited)... we were the only ones there and ended with a Sunset cruise (that was a special request!).. He is a little pricey, but he is worth it!!! He will customize anything you want!!!

It was a 50th birthday I'll never forget and the BEST cruise ever... and I've done more that a few!

Hi- I've only booked to snorkel on Rangiroa. I wasn't real interested in doing the shark and rays (did the rays in cayman) I read the drift snorkel can be rough. I've snorkeled before but last time got tired. Will I be sorry I didn't book more?

I'll also booked to be on the water in Huahine and Moorea (both picnics) and Bora Bora Cat/swim. All with Princess (Marc was full)

What kind of sun block did you all use and still be able to get a tan?

Thanks for the info, I'm going on Dec.9th.

Rose

Hi- I've only booked to snorkel on Rangiroa. I wasn't real interested in doing the shark and rays (did the rays in cayman) I read the drift snorkel can be rough. I've snorkeled before but last time got tired. Will I be sorry I didn't book more?

I'll also booked to be on the water in Huahine and Moorea (both picnics) and Bora Bora Cat/swim. All with Princess (Marc was full)

What kind of sun block did you all use and still be able to get a tan?

Thanks for the info, I'm going on Dec.9th.

Rose

Rose,

Don't be afraid of the drift snorkel. They no most folks on that are novices and they won't take you to any place with too much current. They don't want accidents.

I use Banana boat sunscreen, #50. But I also use Maui Babe tanning lotion before to get some color. It's a tinted, but not fake tan, lotion that helps you to get color. I still recommend for snorkeling, where you can't always reapply as often as you should and the sunscreen will get washed off, to use a rash guard or dive skin. And use the other stuff in controlled situations with the sun. I got really dark, even with using the sunscreen and dive skin. So it's possible. And I don't tan easily.

Hey Richard & Debbie!

Did you dive with Top Dive this trip?

Still great diving, but did you notice the increased presence of Crown of Thorns around Bora Bora?

Mike

Hey Mike,

No, we did not dive with Top Dive. We did our diving with Bathy's on Moorea and Bora Bora. And then with either Hemisphere or Atmosphere dive shop on Raiatea. I really like Bathy's.

Yes, saw tons of Crown of Thorns. Even in our lagoon area. And they are bad news just like the Sea Urchins in California. Crazy those things.

1304276207_MooreaTahitiIC328.jpg.7c5b335bb73c0f4f826ab24e3aa0a8e8.jpg

Archived