"Listen Up" to dining room water/tea drinkers!!

DGP1111

By "Listen Up" I mean just that. When settling in for your cruise meal, it's so easy to be involved in conversations that you don't pay full attention to what is being said by the crew.

There has been recent mention here on CruiseCritic about a seeming push for purchasing water in the dining room as apposed to being served standard water from the pitchers. . . and there is a reason. A fleet-wide push is on for increasing bottled water sales on the ships.

I'm definitely not saying this is a bad thing, or that anyone is doing anything wrong, but the process could seem a bit deceptive to someone who is not paying full attention.

Below is the verbatim memo by which current water sales are handled. Anything bold or in all-caps is that way on the memo. I'm doing no editing.

PROCEDURE FOR: Bottled/Mineral Water Sales in Guest Restaurants

POLICY: Sales opportunities for wine & bottled/mineral water with meals will always be explored prior to pouring iced water of iced tea.

PURPOSE: To provide a service upgrade to guests and to maximize beverage sales opportunities at mealtimes.

SCOPE: This procedure applies to all Team Service staff, Bar service staff and Restaurant Management.

PROCEDURE:

1.0 - Guests entering the restaurant will be greeted and seated in the normal manner and handed food menus and wine menus (one per couple).

1.1 - Upon approaching the table, the Team Service staff (Team Headwaiter/Waitress and/or Team Waiter/Waitress) will politely offer guests at each table the opportunity to purchase bottled still or sparkling mineral water with their lunch and dinner. It should be clear that this is a purchase and not served complimentary.

1.2 - If guests decline the offer of bottled/mineral water, iced water may then be served from a pitcher observing the standard for water service (glass lifted from the table).

1.3 - Water & iced tea pitchers shall not be brought to the table prior to the offer of mineral water.

1.4 - Iced tea may be served on request but should not be offered immediately.

1.5 - Wine sales are to be conducted in the normal manner with the suggestions being made at the beginning of the ordering process, again BEFORE iced tea is served.

1.6 - After the initial approach and order taking by the Team Service staff, Bar Service staff may also offer mineral water, if appropriate, as part of their sales.

1.7 - A second bottle of water is offered when the first is approximately 80% empty. Partly consumed bottles may be stored in the wine cellar for the next time guest visits the dining room (similar to wine).

1.8 - Sail & Sign procedures apply with the check only being presented AFTER the water has been served.

2.0 - Responsibility for Compliance: Team Service & Bar staff, Maitre D', Assistant Maitre D', Bar Manager, Food & Beverage Manager.

This is not just a Carnival thing. On my Freedom of the Seas cruise this year we were bombarded with bottle water sales. Not just regular spring water mind you but the mineral water and boutique water they had. It was in the dining room every night and the specialty restaruants.

This is going to cause a great deal of confusion because many folks won't hear that the water is not complimentary because this isn't something one is accustomed to. I can't even think of any land based restaurants where water is offered first on a paid basis. I think this is something that is going to be met with hostility and scorn.

I think this is something that is going to be met with hostility and scorn.

I personally disagree, as long as the staff does what's asked, and makes it clear the the initial offer is not complimentary.

Again, my reasoning for posting this was not to point a negative finger at CCL, but merely be a "head up" to all the CruiseCritic peeps who have so generously offered me the same type of info in the past. I think many of us tend to be a chatty sort, and may not be paying full attention at the onset of the meal.

I can't imagine this ever happenning, but if I was so enrapt in conversation that I ignored the waiter and "accidentally" ordered a bottled water that I did not want, I would just return it when it was brought and I was asked to sign for it, no big deal. At least it's an option for those who prefer bottled water. But seriously, when a waiter is standing at your table talking, aren't you listening? I know I am.

This is going to cause a great deal of confusion because many folks won't hear that the water is not complimentary because this isn't something one is accustomed to. I can't even think of any land based restaurants where water is offered first on a paid basis. I think this is something that is going to be met with hostility and scorn.

At almost every fine dining restaurant I've been to, they do this same thing. It is definitely done on land. Maybe not at a chain restaurant... but the dining rooms on a cruise ship are trying to emulate fine dining, not chain dining.

In Dallas, the water tastes good, so I always clearly say "tap water is fine" when asked if I want still or sparkling. That way there is no confusion.

If the water is not good tap water (ie, I'm traveling), then I wouldn't want them to pour water into my glass without asking me if I prefered bottled water.

This is all standard for fine dining - they are offering you a choice.

I suspect that if you tell your waiter the first day that you would like tap water waiting, I'm sure he'll accomodate you.

This is not particularly new to CCL..........every cruise I've been on this year they have offered bottled water in the DR's, bars, at the gangway.

They even have a new water bottle cozy that has a shoulder strap to make it convenient to take water on shore. I refill my water bottle that I bring on board with me each morning with the melted water from my ice bucket.

I just returned from the Conquest and had no problem. I remember it being offered initially, but had no problem getting tea or water. In fact, after day one the staff knew I wanted tea and my husband regular water and it was brought almost as soon as we were seated. We weren't asked every night if we wanted bottled water, as they realized we did not. Also I ordered cappucino one night and was always asked thereafter if I'd like one or they just brought me one in case I did. The staff was marvelous. Thank you so much Veronica and Dewu.

My kids like milk... it wasn't so readily available, and I think it's a little harder for them to get in the dining room. They brought it with a smile every time we asked for it, but it took longer than the tea and water and wasn't readily refilled. Not a big deal, but if you or your kids want milk, make a point of asking for it first thing and as soon as it gets low if you think you'd like more so they have time to get it for you.

Also we ordered a bottle of wine and they were happy to put up the remainder for the next night. One bottle easily lasted us two nights. We bought two bottles, one on each elegant night.

I drink bottled mineral water by the case, so I'm happy to hear they will offer it in the dining room. Does anyone know what brands they have? My favorite is sparkling Voss water, but it is the hardest to find. Perrier is o.k. as is Pellegrino.

My inlaws will be glad to know that iced tea and pitcher water is still available for free.

This just happened to me a couple of weeks ago on Princess. Everyone at the table declined. Our water classes were promptly filled with the 'free' ice water. They made the offer every night, and every night we declined. It became almost a joke because they knew we wouldn't buy their water.;)

Good to know. This may explain my one service complaint on Victory this past August. We could not get beverages served with our dinner in a timely manner regardless of what we ordered. We had to wait until the entree was served or even after. It was very frustrating. The last night I ordered the Pellegrino out of desperation, since they had it in hand. Even when we brought in our own bottle of wine one night, it was impossible to get it uncorked. Regular water was also not replenished (after finally received) as I have come to expect. Perhaps this policy has caused additional workload for the waiters or a disruption in their regular flow. On my next cruise, I'll try advising the wait team that I will not be ordering the premium water and to have regular water available when we arrive. Very helpful. Thanks!!!

This really is a normal process in higher-end restaurants and almost mandatory outside the U.S. On our last cruise, we were asked if we wanted to purchase water, everyone declined and we were never asked again and were served 'free' water every night.

It's standard in Europe, they assume you want bottled water unless you say other wise and it cost more than the wine (in France at least). And as someone else stated high end restaurants do it all the time. You just have to take a minute away from conversation and make sure you hear what they are asking you...;)

At almost every fine dining restaurant I've been to, they do this same thing. It is definitely done on land. Maybe not at a chain restaurant... but the dining rooms on a cruise ship are trying to emulate fine dining, not chain dining.

This is correct........we travel to Vegas often and this is pretty standard at most thier fine dining restaurants.........

Archived