"Listen Up" to dining room water/tea drinkers!!

DGP1111

I see nothing wrong with this at all. This sort of sales and marketing goes on everywhere.

The onus is on the guest.....to say NO.

If someone doesn't have the sense to listen up or to pay attention, then, if they get ripped off, it's their own fault.

Happened to us at the Sun King on the Freedom. We had not even been offerred sparkling water in the main dining room and it was already day 5 of the 12 day cruise. We just had iced tea and the waiter always knew what to bring us case closed. Never offerred anything else as we really do not drink anything else. we do have a bottle of wine at least once on any cruise though.

So we go to the Sun King and the waitress asks if we want regular or sparkling water. Thinking that we are already paying the premium for this restaurant, that it must be included so I said sparkling water. We did not get a bottle, just a glass and a bill for $4.50 extra plus tax and tip.

pennies, I know but it would have been nice if they just threw the water in as the waitress did make it sound as though it was just another choice that was offerred to the guests that chose to pay the premium to dine there.

And yes, I know they need to make a profit, but I should have been told the cost. I wouldn't order a bottle of wine without knowing the cost. If I am paying I have the right to know the cost.

I can't imagine this ever happenning, but if I was so enrapt in conversation that I ignored the waiter and "accidentally" ordered a bottled water that I did not want, I would just return it when it was brought and I was asked to sign for it, no big deal. At least it's an option for those who prefer bottled water. But seriously, when a waiter is standing at your table talking, aren't you listening? I know I am.

Don't you sign for it at the end of the meal? I would presume that it would be finished by then and hard to return.;)

thanks for the heads up. DH and I agree that we will politely but firmly tell them the first night that tap water (or iced tea -- we are from Texas after all) is fine with us and make that our standard beverage for the week. If we don't purchase a bottle of wine!

I thought it odd if they didn't offer bottled water, they do that even here in Scotland where tap water is probably of a higher than average standard! I wouldn't even consider buying bottled water here at home.

However, if I was in Mexico or mainland Spain for example I wouldn't drink tap water.

I can't say I'm surprised they would offer bottled water. I wonder if some people however are embarrassed about asking for the free water instead? I'm not really a water drinker so not really a concern for me. And as for Ice Tea .... bleuhhhh

As others have posted, when dining at land restaurants we are offered "bottled or sparkling". We always get tap. (truthfully, I can't tell the difference in tap or bottled - dh swears otherwise) Last week out of about 25 tables at a restaurant we were the only table drinking tap. So, it is not just Carnival pushing water sales. The only time we buy bottled water on a ship is when we leave the ship at a port for an excursion. Otherwise, we drink the iced tea at lunch/dinner.

Archived