Doubletree or Crowne Plaza

Brancine

Having stayed at both recently, I would say it is kind of a "pickem". That said the Crowne Plaza is located in downtown San Pedro which is undergoing a gentrification or renaissnace; the hotel is a remodel of a much older hotel and the rooms are good and the service is excellent. The Double Tree is just out of the downtown in more of a park like location, overlooks the yacht harbour and has a classic coastal California ambiance about it. The rooms have also been upadated and the service is very good. Both hotels offer free shuttles to the cruise port and to shops, restaurants and attractions with in 5 miles. We will be back again in May and will choose the DTI.

To the OP, how early is early? We arrived @ the CP @ 11:00 and rooms were not ready. We left our luggage at the desk and walked to lunch. I'll tell you, there are so many fun shops and restaurants within walking distance of the CP. Once we got our room, it was a nice size, clean and updated.

Thanks for your replies. Is there anything within walking distance of DT, restaurants or stores?

There is one restaurant, which we found to be VERY pricey fand kind of "grungy" for what it was trying to be.

There is also a small local beach within a short walk.

No shops or other dining spots within walking distance.

That's why we prefer the Crowne Plaza.

Both were nice hotels, but we liked the location of the CP much better.

Thanks for your replies. Is there anything within walking distance of DT, restaurants or stores?

Short answer is no. But you can walk to Gaffey St where you will find a number of stores including a Von's. However with the shuttle they will take you to many shops and restaurants. We quite like the 22nd St Landing Seafood Grill which a great seafood restaurant.

http://www.22ndstlandingrestaurant.com/

Short answer is no. But you can walk to Gaffey St where you will find a number of stores including a Von's. However with the shuttle they will take you to many shops and restaurants. We quite like the 22nd St Landing Seafood Grill which a great seafood restaurant.

http://www.22ndstlandingrestaurant.com/

YIKES! :eek:

This is the place I was describing above as being "grungy" and "pricey" in my comments above. HAHA!

We walked over to check it out, but wound up taking the shuttle back over to the downtown area to hang out and eat.

Maybe we'll have to check it out next time if folks keep recommending it!

;)

Sorry if you had a bad experience there but it is highly regarded and recommened by a lot of cruisers. We live on the west coast, just 1,500 miles to the north, and know our seafood....we would score it about 8 out of 10 for quality and for dollar spent about 8.5 out of 10. We have had great times there and are planning to take our family and extended family there when we are back in May. It is not white linen just very good seafood and a good time.

Brancine,

Curt Jerome Wild has written reviews on both of these hotels. He is out of town at the moment, but should be back here early next week.;) I'm sure he will pop in here with additional insight, but in the meantime, check out his informative and knowledgeable reviews:

Crown Plaza

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=601984

Doubletree

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=602015

There is probably not a question for which he does not have an answer, so if you have specific questions, ask them!!:)

Sometimes it is also helpful to know the time frame of your visit and how many people are in your party, as well as anything they would like to do or see. Then after you familiarize yourself with each hotel, he can make suggestions specific to your group and your stay.

Whatever you do - have an awesome cruise!!:)

I can not say for the Crowne Plaza but the Doubletree is a very beautiful resort. The resort was lovely but very very dull. I would never stay there again due to the bordem factor. I can not say anything bad about the hotel it's self because it was nice, the bar was nice and the food was good.

Boredom? What were you hoping for? Me, I mostly just want a comfortable bed in a clean room the night before a cruise. Now then, if it was the SHIP you were bored with, I would be concerned. :p

I can not say for the Crowne Plaza but the Doubletree is a very beautiful resort. The resort was lovely but very very dull. I would never stay there again due to the bordem factor. I can not say anything bad about the hotel it's self because it was nice, the bar was nice and the food was good.

• 3 weeks later...

We will be getting to the DT around 9pm on Friday Dec 26. Can someone recommend a good pizza delivery in the San Pedro area or if you have other suggestions, I'd take those too. We will be using the supershuttle and I know we will want something to eat when we get there.

We will be getting to the DT around 9pm on Friday Dec 26. Can someone recommend a good pizza delivery in the San Pedro area or if you have other suggestions, I'd take those too. We will be using the supershuttle and I know we will want something to eat when we get there.

Niko's is right up the street.

www.nikospizzeria.com

If you'd like to go out, Grinder's Restaurant is right around the corner on Harbor Blvd.

This suppose to be a good pizza, however I have never tried it but they do deliver.:)

Bonellos New York Pizza

(310) 832-7544

832 S Gaffey St, San Pedro, CA

Archived