Costs ?

I am glad that someone did point out that eating below "your caloric" requirements is dangerous and not good at all. I too am always conscience of my calorie intake, but never go below 1000 per day......This is smart eating. Please be careful not to ...not eat!

True, when attempting to keep your weight at a certain level, eating does become just not important. You are eating for the nutrition value and not the enjoyment of it. Eating this way, sure, you can do it at home for $100.00 in 4 days.You kind of need this mind set to succeed. However on a cruise that mindset does change. Meal presentation is one the trips highlights and just the whole atmosphere lends to eating more and trying new items. I always eat much more on a cruise, then back at home go right back to my old eating habits. And for all of the eating I usually do not gain weight....I know defies logic, but I guess due to the activity level the weight does not come on.

Good Luck

Janet

Even though some of our opinions are different we all want you to have a good time too.Relax and don't stress about it and I'm sure you'll have a great time.Read through the posts and I'm sure you'll feel better and have a lot more to look forward to.

I am wondering why so many people think that eating properly and healthfully cannot also be enjoyable? Isn't it possible to actually enjoy the foods you are consuming for their "nutritional values"? It is that way for me and my family at least, so I guess that's all that matters.

beachchick

I enjoy my food, it is that I no longer obsess about it as so many do. In fact, now that I eat better the unsugared REAL foods have begun to taste the best. That being said a meal that I did not care for will not ruin my cruse, nor even have a much of an impact as to be remembered. I have had many good, even great meals on my cruises, but that is not how I have judged the success of my trip. Most of us are saying here, and on many similar threads, that is that all of the aspects of a trip, cruise or otherwise is a sum of all the experiences. I have had great trips in my life, and on the most memorable ones I can not even tell you where I ate, no less what I ate. I put more emphasis on what I have done and who I have done it with more than anything.

On my trip to Alaska the highlight of my cruise was landing on the glacier, and the moment I will remember the most. I know I ate well as I was not health conscious then, but I really can not remember any of the dishes except to one made of the salmon our friend caught on an excursion that was specially prepared for us (alone) and the same for Hawaii, another one where fish was caught and the head of restaurant services ( who had gone on the fishing excursion with our travel mates) prepared a meal for about 12 of us that was over the top and truely gourmet. On another cruise while the food was good, but a tablemate who complained about the food and everything in general was a downer, but again did not ruin my cruise. So no one has said healthly food tasted anything but great, but that again it is one one small aspect and not be the center of the focus.

abridalmaven: Oh that salmon sounds good. What a great treat to have fresh fish prepared especially for you. Yum. I'm sure you do eat better and enjoy your healthy foods. I believe the real big deal, whether you are low-carb, low-fat, no sugar, or anything else, is to eat whole foods as much as possible. We eat mostly whole foods with treats, which I never feel bad about eating--I eat healthfully 90% of the time and relish the other 10% too. I agree with you about food in that there is so much more to do (in life as well as cruising) than obsess about eating. Yet, some people seem to be caught in an extreme. I've actually seen people practically sneer if they see someone enjoying a tasty meal. It's almost as if they think you not only shouldn't obsess about eating, but you should absolutely not like it. smoothdancer said, "...you are eating for the nutrition value and not the enjoyment of it." That is the kind of thing I'm referring too--and this is not a flame. I just think you can eat right and enjoy it too. Food should not be the be-all and end-all of life, but it can be fun.

I remember certain meals mostly because the event itself was special. The fresh salmon served at our wedding, the filet mignon I served DH on our anniversary, the first time I cooked the turkey for Thanksgiving, etc. Occasionally, I will remember a meal fondly simply because the food was special, but that is not usual.

beachchick

Have a great cruise and don't worry about the food. I think you will see that you will get your monies worth.

You mentioned eating a lite dinner? Just say that you order a salad and an appetizer...nothing else for dinner. At a 4* restaurant, the salad would cost you around $6.25 and the appetizer around the same. That's $12.50 off the bat X 2 is $25 X 4 is $100. That's $100 just for dinner on your cruise.

Another poster asked about the prices of the mini bar liquor? I don't recall seeing mini bottles, but I wasn't looking. I would think it would be cheaper to buy at the bar.

Archived