Bringing own liquor on board

mahlerlover

Can anyone tell me how strict Celebrity is regarding bringing on board liquor?

Any ideas on how to do it?

With your fingers crossed!

Every ship and itinerary seems to have its own directives re how carefully they search and enforce. Passengers can only report on their specific experiences on their specific ship, date, itinerary, ports of call searches etc. Think 50/50 and accept the loss of your stash if it happens. That's all that would happen.

Working for a travel agency, I would never advise anyone to attempt it. You can be DENIED boarding if you really put up a fight over having in confiscated. Has anyone been denied boarding? Probably not but is it really worth risking it? IMO you may need AA if you really need that much alchohol on your cruise.

We are allowed 2 bottles of wine. We take 1 & a bottle of a good liquor to enjoy at night. I talked to the hotel manager on my last RCL cruise. They aren't worried about a bottle or 2. Says they never take those. Yes, I know, never say never.:rolleyes: They just don't want people bringing several bottles to last the whole cruise.

Working for a travel agency, I would never advise anyone to attempt it. You can be DENIED boarding if you really put up a fight over having in confiscated. Has anyone been denied boarding? Probably not but is it really worth risking it? IMO you may need AA if you really need that much alchohol on your cruise.

Thats rather a harsh remark to make!

X brings it upon themselves by their draconian policies regarding wine and liquor!

A lot of people like having a drink on their balcony - does that mean they are alcoholics? Two bottles of wine per cabin for a 10-12 day cruise is not much.

The only reason that they have their restrictive policies is to force customers to attend their bar or order their overprices booze to the room.

I see nothing wrong for them to make extra profits from alcohol...but when I am forced to pay 4 or 5 times over the price that I can buy it for on land - that is ridiculous. If they made purchases reasonable why would anyone want to smuggle - X is forcing this type of behaviour!

Ok, I'm not talking about 1 or 2 bottles, thats fine plus its not my place to judge.

Here is a question: can you take bottles of alcohol into your local night club? Of course not!!. Yes the cruise line is making money, in the end it is still a business.

Ok, I'm not talking about 1 or 2 bottles, thats fine plus its not my place to judge.

Here is a question: can you take bottles of alcohol into your local night club? Of course not!!. Yes the cruise line is making money, in the end it is still a business.

This is definately going to be one of those threads that goes crazy!!!

People customarily take with them on vacations, and last time I checked this was a vacation, not rehab. :eek:

We are allowed 2 bottles of wine. We take 1 & a bottle of a good liquor to enjoy at night. I talked to the hotel manager on my last RCL cruise. They aren't worried about a bottle or 2. Says they never take those. Yes, I know, never say never.:rolleyes: They just don't want people bringing several bottles to last the whole cruise.

Where did you find out about being allowed 2 bottles of wine. Is it written somewhere. I read it on the Carnival website but never knew you could do it on RCCL or X. I would love to bring a red and a white to enjoy on my balcony. :rolleyes:

The last sentence of your observation is improper; and, I trust that you will recant same.

Thats rather a harsh remark to make!

X brings it upon themselves by their draconian policies regarding wine and liquor!

A lot of people like having a drink on their balcony - does that mean they are alcoholics? Two bottles of wine per cabin for a 10-12 day cruise is not much.

The only reason that they have their restrictive policies is to force customers to attend their bar or order their overprices booze to the room.

I see nothing wrong for them to make extra profits from alcohol...but when I am forced to pay 4 or 5 times over the price that I can buy it for on land - that is ridiculous. If they made purchases reasonable why would anyone want to smuggle - X is forcing this type of behaviour!

I totally agree with your assessment of this situation. If having a drink on the balcony makes everyone an acoholic, then I suppose this has become a very large organizaton.

I only drink with my husband ON a cruise because I am sure neither one of us will have to drive. I don't even do it at home in case I might have to take on of the kids to a hospital in the night (I had to drive myself one night with a kidney stone and alcohol would not have been a good idea then!) On a cruise I drink EVERY night and enjoy myself and no I don't need AA!!!!

Where did you find out about being allowed 2 bottles of wine. Is it written somewhere. I read it on the Carnival website but never knew you could do it on RCCL or X. I would love to bring a red and a white to enjoy on my balcony. :rolleyes:

We always do CC or AQ on the new ships; hence, the first two days are covered. However, I would also be interested in the response to this inquiry.

Hi there, you can bring wine/champagne on Celebrity, you can't on RCI :(

For the OP, I think it really depends on what area you cruise. On our Celebrity Med. Cruise, they couldn't have cared less what was brought on. We brought liquor on in various ports and it was never confiscated and we didn't try and hide it. Most ;) of it was bought to take home.

The statement about allowing 2 bottles of wine per stateroom is printed in the brochure with the rules and conditions. You can also find it on the Celebrity site. I had to look a bit, but it is there. It is also stated in your cruise documents.

Hope this helps!

As far as "other" types of liquor - look into "rum runners" - they have a pretty good product - I have never tried - but have seen blogs about others having good success with them. The cruise lines are onto the smuggling in mouthwash bottles.

Have a great cruise - I will!

Sue

The statement about allowing 2 bottles of wine per stateroom is printed in the brochure with the rules and conditions. You can also find it on the Celebrity site. I had to look a bit, but it is there. It is also stated in your cruise documents.

Hope this helps!

As far as "other" types of liquor - look into "rum runners" - they have a pretty good product - I have never tried - but have seen blogs about others having good success with them. The cruise lines are onto the smuggling in mouthwash bottles.

Have a great cruise - I will!

Sue

Thank you - I just looked at my doc's and yes it does say 2 bottles per stateroom - and only to be consumed in the stateroom. I wonder why RCCL does not have this policy too?

It states in the Celebrity cruise books, you are allowed to bring 2 bottles of wine per cabin. It's in the back under the alcohol policy.

Good grief!!!!! TA not MD, right???

These are the standard comments that come up whenever we get into a discussion about bringing our own alcoholic beverages onboard. And here are the standard responses:

1. ALCOHOLISM - It is rude and insulting to suggest that people who enjoy drink alcohol, and wish to bring their preferred beverage with them on a cruise, are alcoholics. Alcoholism is a serious illness that should not be joked about, and accusations of alcoholism should not be tossed out to people you do not know. Not everyone who drinks is an alcoholic. You say it is not your place to judge - and yet, that's exactly what you did.

2. DENIED BOARDING - Among all the literally thousands of reports on Cruise Critic over the years of passengers carrying on their own alcohol, many of whom were caught and had their bottles confiscated, there is not ONE - not a SINGLE - report of a passenger being denied boarding. If someone is caught attempting to smuggle booze onboard, the worst that will happen is - it will be confiscated. If its in its original container, it will be tagged and held until the end of the cruise. If it's in another container, it will be tossed out.

3. NIGHT CLUB COMPARISON - Carrying alcoholic beverages onto a ship is not the same as bringing drinks into a bar or restaurant. This is an invalid comparison. The ONLY valid comparison is carrying your own bottle into your hotel room. And I'd like you to show me one hotel that does not allow its guests to bring their beverage of choice into their private rooms.

As for the OP's original question - as others have pointed out, the degree of enforcement of Celebritys' booze policies seems to vary widely. They do seem to be more stringent in the Caribbean, as opposed to areas known for wine production (i.e. the Med). Also, it varies among ships - and since Solstice has yet to set sail on a normal cruise with paying pax, there are no first-hand reports of how strict they enforce yet.

However, regardless of their enforcement, there are numerous ways to get around their restrictions. Visit the Money Saving Tips forum and post a question there - I promise that you will get lots of great ideas from people who won't call you an alcoholic. :rolleyes:

On our two X and Azamara cruises, we have simply securely packed a regular bottle of liquor in our checked luggage shoreside, with no problems. We have also hand carried on a couple of wine bottles with no response from security. Worst case, if it's a bottle, they will mark it and return it at the end of the cruise.

That animation on your trip list is great.

The line is very nice about the carry on.

Just don't carry on a keg and it should be O.K.

Archived