Dark Suit on Formal Night -- What Kind of Tie?

Cruller

If my husband will be wearing a dark suit on formal night, what kind of tie should he wear? Will anything do--red, blue, yellow, patterned? Does it have to be "black"? Does it simply have to be subtle, like a nice solid gray?

Thanks in advance for your help!

We're looking forward to our Nov. 21st Caribbean trip in just 8 days.

If my husband will be wearing a dark suit on formal night, what kind of tie should he wear? Will anything do--red, blue, yellow, patterned? Does it have to be "black"? Does it simply have to be subtle, like a nice solid gray?

Look forward to meeting you at the Cruise Critic party

Dark tie would be my suggestion

DEAN

It's definitely sounding like something subtle in the gray to black range would work. Time to go examine his collection and send him to the store if necessary.

Looking forward to meeting you too Dean!

Thanks jp2001!

Dark for sure. Gray, black, even a navy blue will do if you want a splash of color.

I'm not sure that navy blue goes very well with black, if the suit is black, and I wouldn't necessarily call navy blue exactly "a splash of color". It's almost as dismal as gray. You want a splash of color then go for red!!!

I'm not sure that navy blue goes very well with black, if the suit is black, and I wouldn't necessarily call navy blue exactly "a splash of color". It's almost as dismal as gray. You want a splash of color then go for red!!!

Navy blue?:eek:. The range that I am modelling for my avatar includes various gloriously lurid ties.

Chill,

Nalcoln

Navy blue?:eek:. The range that I am modelling for my avatar includes various gloriously lurid ties.

Chill,

Nalcoln

Nalcomb,

Your lurid tie and cummerbund is lovely, but is that a tuxedo on you? The question was about what to wear with a dark suit. What would you wear with your dark suit?

Nalcomb,

Your lurid tie and cummerbund is lovely, but is that a tuxedo on you? The question was about what to wear with a dark suit. What would you wear with your dark suit?

Thank you, PM. A lady of taste and refinement, as I already knew.

I have a selection of similar ties, shirts and trousers, mainly featuring the rather vivid wildlife of Hawaii, and these usually go down a storm.

Mahalo nui, Nalcoln

Yes?

Nalcoln

Hey Nalcoln.....greetings....love the set!!;):rolleyes:

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continued...did it ever!

October 16,2008...the “Affair” goes transatlantic as we sail in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage...what a thrill!

December 9, 2008....the “Affair” resumes again....Life is good!

August 7, 2009....the “Affair” goes on...this time “home” to Norway

Thank you, Penny. As I just told PM, my clobber attracts much attention.

Love and peace,

Nalcolnxxx

Nalcoln,

I see your location is "QE2". Are you going to stay on in Dubai? Any concerns that your sartorial splendor may not be appreciated by the new owners? Perhaps they could be talked into a Hawai'i themed lounge where you could be host?

Should be black, and self-tie of course.

It's definitely sounding like something subtle in the gray to black range would work. Time to go examine his collection and send him to the store if necessary.

Looking forward to meeting you too Dean!

Thanks jp2001!

Just my opinion, for whatever it's worth: assuming we are talking about a business suit (not a tuxedo), I would say any tie pattern or color that your husband would feel happy wearing. Something he might wear to a wedding, holiday party (no snowmen, please!) or festive evening on the town should "go down a storm.":)

Your husband will probably wear the dark suit more than one night. I suggest something dark to match the suit on black & white night. On the other evenings a bit of color like a bright red is great. If he happens to be very reserved then he can tone it down with gray or something similar. He can also take an extra tie along & select as he dresses depending on his mood that particular evening.

I think you should wear a subtle tie. If you need to borrow a tie I have a few I can bring with me, just let me know which one(s). I have more if you need a bigger choice.

7fac9bed86ba451f8567c968f6acad18

My excuse is that mine was a gift. I am generously giving you the benefit of assuming that you did not personally enter a novelty shop and purchase these ...THINGS ...yourself. Or did you skulk under the anonimity of the on-line purchase facility offered by your local circus outfitters?

Gari

Archived