No more 45 day letters

I just spoke to guest relations today and was informed that the so called 45 day letter complete with bon voyage gift are no longer being sent out. When I asked why the change I was given a generic response which I took as another carnival cost cutting measure. Given the price of the stock (down 50% over the last 6 months) and the elimination of the dividend coupled with plunging cruise prices I guess it does not surprise me at this point.

Thankfully for them the current low fuel prices combined with the fuel supplement is keeping them at least for the moment somewhat profitable. I would suspect 2009 will look bleak for the cruise and travel industry overall as this recession is predicted to be more severe and longer lasting than anticipated just a few short months ago.

On a positive note for cruisers there are bargains galore out there especially for veterans getting the military rate if one can afford it during these trying times.

Happy cruising

On my last cruise last week aboard the Liberty we found another cost cutting measure.

Last year, they were drawing a free cruise each sailing from the comment cards, so someone on the ship was walking out with a free cruise in every sailing. Now, if your comment card is drawn, you win a chance to win one cruise drawn among ALL sailings on ALL ships once a month.

I have yet to see price drop worth noticing when I search. I have three cruises booked for 2009 and one is a spa suite on the Splendor, so doubt that will go down. The April cruise is down $54, wow, whooppee......The January is no difference at all. I am hoping for the upgrade fairy to visit...

I sent a letter in, but a 45 day letter was not my intentions. I really want to know why I still am NOT getting my Currents magazine (since January 2007--not just me, but my mom, brother, his wife, and my niece) after four cruises in under 2 years. I also wanted to commend them on the ship n crew--specially that yummy maitre'd, Alex!

I honestly don't think we'll see much change in Carnival over the next twelve months. I think they have already implemented all the major cost-cutting schemes they need to. I think they are a shrewd company and will come out of this mire smiling.

I really want to know why I still am NOT getting my Currents magazine (since January 2007--not just me, but my mom, brother, his wife, and my niece) after four cruises in under 2 years.
We have never received one. I asked about it but never have gotten one.

Now, if your comment card is drawn, you win a chance to win one cruise drawn among ALL sailings on ALL ships once a month.

That's the way it's been on all 6 of my cruises since 2006.

As for the 45 day letter, it's a shame, but understandable. I hope that people still continue to write Carnival about their experiences even if they won't get anything!

I honestly don't think we'll see much change in Carnival over the next twelve months. I think they have already implemented all the major cost-cutting schemes they need to. I think they are a shrewd company and will come out of this mire smiling.

I agree. They didn't get where they are by being foolish, fer sure.

Frankly, I don't care how many freebies or perks they do away with as long as they still provide a fine cruise experience with good food, wonderful ships and moderate prices.

They'll weather this storm just fine...and, who knows, they might end up with another 1 or 2 brands to tuck under their umbrella.

That's too bad. We are celebrating our 20th anniversary on the Spirit 1/31. We started our married life with a Carnival Cruise. I wrote a letter to that effect but didn't receive a 45 day letter in return.:( Oh well, we will have a great time anyway.:p

I'm truly not trying to be snarky, but I really don't understand what the big problem is.

Isn't the purpose of writing a letter to Carnival to compliment and thank them for your experience or to address a (hopefully legitimate) complaint? Or are you (general) just doing so to get a potential freebie?

I know when I take the time to write a letter about a customer service experience, I do so so that

1. Any negative issues (staff, etc...) are brought to the attention of the proper personnel so they can be corrected.

2. If I had a great experience, I can truly to thank the people who made that possible for me and my family. I like to give credit where it is due and recognize those who make my experience a good one.

I never would expect any sort of compensation for complimenting the people who made a dream vacation possible.

If you have a legitimate complaint that needed to be addressed, I could see getting the infamous 45 day letter as a gesture of goodwill from a company trying to win back your business.

But for paying a compliment? :confused: If anything, I think a simple "thank you for taking the time to write us and we're glad you're happy" letter in return (with NO "freebie") would be OK with me. I'd be OK if I didn't get that at all as well. I did what made me feel good.

who was a lovely dinner "date", by the way...was discussing allll the upcoming changes to guests/pax, implamenting immediately, were NOT very favourable . As a vet Capt w/CCL, he had seen many changes, but the look on his face wasn't pleasant. So get ready for the onslaught..Will I continue to cruze?..absolutely, will I complain?..nope..tis the way of the economy.

who was a lovely dinner "date", by the way...was discussing allll the upcoming changes to guests/pax, implamenting immediately, were NOT very favourable . As a vet Capt w/CCL, he had seen many changes, but the look on his face wasn't pleasant. So get ready for the onslaught..Will I continue to cruze?..absolutely, will I complain?..nope..tis the way of the economy.

Come on, spill it:D What are the other changes? I didn't notice anything except the gala buffet (which I didn't miss and wouldn't have really noticed if I hadn't seen the info on these boards) on my recent B2B.

I only listened to his comments and offered my perfunctory head shake in the negative manner, and didnt ask him "What"..but as we see..they (the changes/deletions) are already in place and happening as we speak and have already witnessed. BTW, he is the most delightful, charismatic, and personable Capt I have ever had the pleasure of dining with, alllll these years. Four times I got to dine with him this summer and received alot of extra perks, than just the usual for Platinum guests.

Well you really can't blame Carnival. As people get tighter with their money, they have to drop prices to fill the ships, resulting in reduced profit margins. As a publicly traded company, they have to find ways to make up for this lost margin, so they need to make cuts in ways that might make people a little sad, but won't hurt the overall cruise experience.

Archived