Transfer vs Taxi to Ft Lauderdale airport

Adventures ahead

Our flight home is 12:45 and we purchased transfers from the Emerald Princess to the airport from the cruise line.

I read that a taxi would be at least half the cost, but how difficult is it to get a taxi when 3000+ passengers are all looking for transportation at the same time?

Does anyone know what the current prices are?

Hi,:) from the Port Everglades to the FLL airport? The cabs are lined

up outside the ship. It is never a problem finding a cab:)

How much is it? In the 10.00 range.

Oh Hi Lois, I hope you come back. I know you are on your way soon for the pre-inaugural on the Solstice. Have fun and I for one hope you enjoy the "Big" ship feel. :p

Any way I have the same question as the original poster, only the other way around as well. A friend is traveling over Thanksgiving with a group that has a lot of Senior Citizens and wants to do a shuttle service for them as she feels the Taxi service might be too much for some of them. Do you (or anyone) have any idea about shuttle service to/from the FLL airport and ship? Name and approximate cost?

Thanks much.

We just got back & paid $20.00 with the tip. There was alot of traffic because of the boat show & we had to go around because the closer exit was closed & it still wasn't expensive. No problem getting a cab, just got off & got right in the cab.

Ok so the Taxi range is approx. $10 to $20 depending on traffic coming from the ship to FLL. Is it the same going from FLL to the ship?

Oh Hi Lois' date=' I hope you come back. I know you are on your way soon for the pre-inaugural on the Solstice. Have fun and I for one hope you enjoy the "Big" ship feel. :p

Any way I have the same question as the original poster, only the other way around as well. A friend is traveling over Thanksgiving with a group that has a lot of Senior Citizens and wants to do a shuttle service for them as she feels the Taxi service might be too much for some of them. Do you (or anyone) have any idea about shuttle service to/from the FLL airport and ship? Name and approximate cost?

Thanks much.[/quote']

Anyone have any info on Shuttles?

Thanks.

Ok so the Taxi range is approx. $10 to $20 depending on traffic coming from the ship to FLL. Is it the same going from FLL to the ship?

Anyone have any info on Shuttles?

Thanks.

In FLL, it is a no brainer, take a taxi. It is the easiest, quickest, cheapest way to travel between the airport and the port. A taxi will be there when you need it, and it will be very inexpensive. It will be $10 each way unless there is some sort of problem. Everything is very close in FLL. It would be more of a hassle to try to arrange for a shuttle, and I don't think you would save money anyway.

It will be more than $10 - probably $15 plus tip. The best way to get a cab quick is to get a porter to load your luggage (tip expected) - he can bust through the taxi line and get you one immediately.

You just paid thousands for your cruise, why woory about an extra $10 - $20 to catch your plane?

Ron

Thanks for the info everyone.

And just for the record the group I'm talking about are not so much concerned about the cost as about the process and being prepared however much it cost. We just feel that information is power and especially when dealing with Seasoned Citizens it is better to at least let them know what they can expect.

Thanks for the info as I had heard that trying to get a taxi could be a hassle.

The fact that a taxi is cheaper than buying two transfers from Princesss is a bonus and I agree that the savings are incidental.

Princess may have thousands of my dollars, especially flying from Canada, but I'm so worth it.;)

Cheers!

We always get a taxi with no problem. Like someone else said, have a porter take your bags and tip him a couple bucks per bag and he will find you a taxi right away.

One bad thing about the shuttles from cruise lines are that you have to sit and wait for the buses to fill up. You will be in a taxi and long gone before the buses fill up.

We have cruised in and out of FLL 4 times and never paid more than 15 dollars for a taxi.

So the port charges $15.00 day for parking (plus tax ??) and parking at the airport - Park N' Fly for $8.50 day (coupon http://www.longtermparking.com/COUPONS/cpparknflyfll.htm ) (plus tax ??)

Why not park at airport then take taxi back and forth.

My travel group consist of 4 adults with bags for 20 day cruise in Jan 09.

The cost difference seems to be 6.50 Day * 20 = $130 for just the parking. We can then subtract the taxi expense (single Van???) at $25 each way and still reduce cost by approx $80.00.

If it was just a week I would have no problem parking at the port and have in the past.

Am I cheap or what.

'Taxis are definitely NO problem from the port. We cruised this past February from there and we were off the ship & in a taxi all within minutes. We only have used the cruise lines transfer package once (1st cruise) because we weren't really aware of how things worked. It takes a LOT longer, as someone else said, you actually end up sitting on their buses to wait for them to "fill up" & for them to load everyone's luggage, which can take a while. Not to mention you are actually paying more & it takes longer!

• 2 months later...
Our flight home is 12:45 and we purchased transfers from the Emerald Princess to the airport from the cruise line.

I read that a taxi would be at least half the cost, but how difficult is it to get a taxi when 3000+ passengers are all looking for transportation at the same time?

Does anyone know what the current prices are?

They can ask anything they want but ask before you get in and offer them $12. plus tip.

Just used them yesterday; the people who didn't ask paid $20. plus tip; the people that asked and offered $12. plus tip; got it for that; same time of day.

Extremley easy to do; never take Princess transfer at FLL; much faster, easier, cheaper plus you get there about 30- 40 min. faster and already in line at airport when huge buses come from princess.

Archived