Cat 1A Cabins on Solstice

Morris4me

Considering booking a Cat 1A on Equinox next year. For anyone who's been on Solstice, how do the angles impact the room in the 1A cabins? Is it somewhat awkward or is the furniture situated so that it doesn't really impact space? Is it very noticeable?

I can let you know in about 30 days ;) I have booked one of these!

Seriously, the cabin is the same shape as others, its the balconies that are slanted. From the closeups I have seen, the cabins are aligned in 2's, with larger balconies which have an angled rail. One closeup (http://www.depping-design.de/test/displayimage.php?album=88&pos=23) shows the layout. It appears the balcony is about 2X as large as the others.

The deck plans are inaccurate when they show the corridor outside these "hump" rooms. They are actually squared-off as the other cabins are in two's. The deck plan for the Resort deck is the only one that shows this, however, it makes the outside wall of the cabin appeared angled which is also inaccurate. The outside wall, is parallel to the corridor wall, making the balcony a wedge shape. The balconies are in fact larger.

[attach]96129[/attach] I have re-drawn the lines on the bump-out rooms on the Resort Deck to show what I believe is an accurate look at these rooms.

Very well done! I think you got it exactly correct.

Thanks!

Ernie

BAPON,

You have made my day! After studying early photos and plans, decided on a 1A in hopes of a larger balcony and your redrawn deckplan confirms a good cabin choice (first off a hump, larger balcony and protected from wind). Host Anne and others have mentioned the larger balconies and Bobbye has a photo of one in his latest slideshow. Thanks to all for taking the time to check out these cabins and help X draw more accurate deckplans. Now if the upgrade fairy visits, not sure we would move. Well OK, if it's a suite, we'll consider it [dream on]:D

Where can I find this slideshow?

Sorry, under the Solstice pictures thread.

http://travel.webshots.com/slideshow/568638933ntxpWp

It's #38, label CC with larger balcony. Can see the angle, but with BAPON's plan some "larger balconies" appear larger than others. Not sure of the cabin number, but likely the one on the tour, #1231.

• 1 month later...

We were in Solstice #7241 Cat. 1A; shown by red dot on the fire exit floor plan attached below. Top left cabin is #7258 and bottom left is #7211.

Standard veranda cabin balconies are about 8 feet wide and 6 ½ feet deep, shown on the hump 2B cabins like #7239 next to us.

#7241’s balcony is about 14’ deep on the right side and 11’ on left. #7243, our “pair cabin” to the left, has a balcony about 11 ‘ deep on its right side and about 8 ½ feet on left. Both cabins of the next pair move back and they too have deep balconies of about the same sizes. #7245 and 7247 are not shown on this map, but the reverse pair on the other side of the hump is (#7211&15). The squarish little area in front of #7243 is a stateroom attendant closet. #7219 is the mirror image of #7241 and the balcony of #7215 is about the same size.

Our veranda felt huge, and because a veranda, not CC room, just has two chairs and table, no footstools. The extra large balcony is of much more value to us than CC amenitites, and you can take the desk chair and coffee table out if needed. Three of us ate dinner on the balcony the night in SJ without a problem. Also being on the aft side of the hump gives a break from the wind when under sail…we used the balcony often at all times of day and night, under sail and in port. It was wonderful.

This floor plan also shows how the connecting cabins work. All cabins on the hump (#7221-7239) are connecting and the line along hallway shows the doors “shut”. The angled cabin pairs are not connecting and do not have a second set of doors to close. We heard no noise from our connecting pair except when they opened/closed their door.

2086363049_Solsticeplan.jpg.d3b0e39f7df008aaf442eb0273f2633f.jpg

We were in Solstice #7241 Cat. 1A; shown by red dot on the fire exit floor plan attached below. Top left cabin is #7258 and bottom left is #7211.

Standard veranda cabin balconies are about 8 feet wide and 6 ½ feet deep, shown on the hump 2B cabins like #7239 next to us.

#7241’s balcony is about 14’ deep on the right side and 11’ on left. #7243, our “pair cabin” to the left, has a balcony about 11 ‘ deep on its right side and about 8 ½ feet on left. Both cabins of the next pair move back and they too have deep balconies of about the same sizes. #7245 and 7247 are not shown on this map, but the reverse pair on the other side of the hump is (#7211&15). The squarish little area in front of #7243 is a stateroom attendant closet. #7219 is the mirror image of #7241 and the balcony of #7215 is about the same size.

Our veranda felt huge, and because a veranda, not CC room, just has two chairs and table, no footstools. The extra large balcony is of much more value to us than CC amenitites, and you can take the desk chair and coffee table out if needed. Three of us ate dinner on the balcony the night in SJ without a problem. Also being on the aft side of the hump gives a break from the wind when under sail…we used the balcony often at all times of day and night, under sail and in port. It was wonderful.

This floor plan also shows how the connecting cabins work. All cabins on the hump (#7221-7239) are connecting and the line along hallway shows the doors “shut”. The angled cabin pairs are not connecting and do not have a second set of doors to close. We heard no noise from our connecting pair except when they opened/closed their door.

Janet:

Thanks so much for taking the time to provide us with such detailed info; it's much appreciated. I noticed on your diagram of the room itself (not the balcony) the line separating the rooms seems jagged. Is that just to represent the cruve in the walls or is every other room smaller then the room adjoining it?

Ron

Janet:

Thanks so much for taking the time to provide us with such detailed info; it's much appreciated. I noticed on your diagram of the room itself (not the balcony) the line separating the rooms seems jagged. Is that just to represent the cruve in the walls or is every other room smaller then the room adjoining it?

Ron

The fire drill map is very accurate as to layout of walls, doors and railings; even including the cut-off angle of the housekeeping closet. When we talked about "interlocking pairs" with curved walls, the walls are actually squared off. The cabin sizes are the same, but our "pair partner" had the bed closer to the balcony in their matching "curve". It is clearly shown in these terrific photos posted by fellow CCer: http://www.pbase.com/pierce324/solstice01

Archived