1st Big Carnival disappointment !!!!!!

Ron & Faye

and you got this 'accurate information' from where??

I swear some people pull financial figures out of their butts. :rolleyes:

To the OP:

You have a right to be disappointed and to cancel and book with another line. I don't agree with your complaint but if you feel that strongly about it, cancel your cruise.

Check the math, Carnival sails with more than 45,000 people on their cruise ships everyday. Multiple that by $9 per person/per day that is just over $400,000 just for the Fuel Surcharge everyday for fuel they purchase at 60% less than they did when they implemented the $9 Fuel Surcharge and BTW those figures didn't come from my butt. They are facts, do the research like I did and find out. So it really takes a little more than two days to make a million. Not bad work if you can get it.

I had to pay increased fuel charges when I changed by booking. Total was $98.00 but i saved about 15 times that much so that extra fuel charge was worth it.

If you save $1470 just by changing your booking, please share your secrets. I'm all ears.

Isn't the current fuel charge $9 per day? I figured on a 7 day that would be $63. If your drop in price is more than that then you have a good deal as far as I can see. I had booked an upper/lower cabin on Inspiration when the fuel charge was only $7. I got the past cruiser rate. Just a couple weeks ago I see the senior rate (my mother is a senior) was $70.00 lower so I asked them to adjust if they could. They did but also increased my fuel charge to the $9. I still ended up with a $60 obc so I didn't care that they increased the fuel charge by $2 a day. Now this pays for the $10 a day they add for tips. :D As another poster wrote, don't sweat the small stuff. Would you really cancel a cruise over that small an amount? They are just going to increase the overall cost of a cruise after 2010 anyway and no one will ever care because it won't list it separately. Go have fun!

Karen, FL:cool:

Check the math, Carnival sails with more than 45,000 people on their cruise ships everyday. Multiple that by $9 per person/per day that is just over $400,000 just for the Fuel Surcharge everyday for fuel they purchase at 60% less than they did when they implemented the $9 Fuel Surcharge and BTW those figures didn't come from my butt. They are facts, do the research like I did and find out. So it really takes a little more than two days to make a million. Not bad work if you can get it.

Is that all cruisers, because 3,4, and 5th person in a room only pays $4 :)

And of that $400,000, how much do they spend in fuel? How much does their fuel cost? I can understand when people were upset when they were charged the supplement after booking their cruise. That has not been the case for quite awhile. fuel supplements have been around for over a year. Imagine this, instead of adding a fuel supplement they charge you an extra $100 per person for a 7 day cruise. Would you notice? You would pay $28 more but somehow most people would be happier because they didn't pay the fuel supplement.

Friend of mine changed her booking today for her November 30th cruise and did not have to pay the increased fuel surcharge. It remaine d at the $5.00 per day she originally paid.

What kind of change did she make? If it upgrade then she would not have been charged the new fuel supplement....

I've never spoken to someone that complained about being charged the new fuel supplement when they were receiving an OBC or price reduction.....if you're cruise rate was dropping $100+ and you went from a $7pp to $9pp fuel supplement, you're still getting a good amount back...how much can someone want??

and I'm pretty sure the price reductions are going to stop after final payment in the very new future.. so be ready for that as well..:rolleyes:

I really don't see why the OP is so upset. You want to be rebooked into a new rate but not pay the current charges for that rate? I booked and am watching 5 cabins for my cruise next week. Carnival was extremely helpful in letting me get discounts on total cost of cabins by changing rates based on senior, military, and past guest. They were fantastic and quite clear that if I accepted the new criteria for the price I would also accept existing fuel charges. I really don't know why you are so upset that you'd change lines.

and I'm pretty sure the price reductions are going to stop after final payment in the very new future.. so be ready for that as well..:rolleyes:

I think you are correct. I can't think of any other industry where you can buy the product, pay in full by the due date, and then later in the penalty phase and ask for money back.

And of that $400,000, how much do they spend in fuel? How much does their fuel cost? I can understand when people were upset when they were charged the supplement after booking their cruise. That has not been the case for quite awhile. fuel supplements have been around for over a year. Imagine this, instead of adding a fuel supplement they charge you an extra $100 per person for a 7 day cruise. Would you notice? You would pay $28 more but somehow most people would be happier because they didn't pay the fuel supplement.

Ask and ye shall receive:

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/carnival-cruise-lines-scrap-fuel/story.aspx?guid=%7BB83FD4CC-28E0-40C2-BE11-861BDF1D6630%7D&dist=msr_2

If you save $1470 just by changing your booking, please share your secrets. I'm all ears.

My cruise had dropped in price originally and then I was able to do military friends and family and then after that they were offering a 4 cabin free upgrade (to the category that I was already paying for because that is where I wanted to stay) so they let me take advantage of that also. I We were booked in a quad cabin, now have a balcony and an inside and saved money so I was more than happy to pay the increase in fuel surcharge as they were under no obligation to change my existing booking at all.

The total I was able to save paid for my plane tickets and two night pre- cruise stay so the increase in fuel surcharge did not bother me because I knew that that was part of Carnivals policy in allowing me to change my cruise pricing.

Correction: I Found this on Wikianswers

How much fuel does a cruise ship use?

To put it in perspective, the fleet of U.S. flagged ships sailing interisland Hawaiian cruises (spending 96 hours of the week idle in port) run a price tag of nearly $250,000 a week to fuel each vessel, lifeboats and tender boats. These ships range from about 70,000 tons - 93.000 tons.Most cruise ships are at sea much more than this, and use more fuel from week to week. Much depends on itinerary, sea conditions, weight and other variables. It depends on how large the cruise ship is, what weight it carries (other than passengers) etc. It can be less than 80,000 gallons or more.

I know that the Conquest is 110, 000 tons, and all the new ships that are coming out are huge, so the fuel surcharges aren't so bad when you think about it.

If the rates had gone up would you be offering to pay more?

If the precedent had been set that if after booking a cruise, should the price of the cruise go up you'd have to pay more, then the OP (or anyone) would not have a choice. (thank God they don't). That would be the norm, just like with a credit card, you know going in that the intereset is subject to increase without notice and knowing that, we sometimes choose to take out a credit card anyway. The fact remains that a precedent was set by Carnival in that they do give OBC, even in the penalty phase, thereby the OP isn't incorrect in wanting her OBC.

That having been said, to the OP, when I received my OBC, I originally had booked a guaranteed cabin. I was told that in order to take advantage of the new rate, I would have to pick an assigned cabin which I did and received the OBC of $160. Fuel surcharge did not change. My point? It seems to me that since you say Carnival picked your cabin that you originally had an 8A guarantee. Carnival is not charging you for changing the room, they are charging you the fuel surcharge for changing the booking. Had they not assigned you the room and you wanted to receive the OBC under the terms they are granting the discount, you would still be in the same predicament.

I believe your frustration is not so much that you have to "jump thorugh hoops" to get the upgrade, but in how Carnival has reacted to your request. I sincerely hope that you and Carnival can work this out. Given the long association, it would be a shame for you two to part ways. I hope you can find some way to get past this so that you can enjoy your cruise.

If you change the rate code you book under you are entitled to be charged the fuel suppliment.

Also since Carnival is undergoing category changes.. and if your 8a is now an 8b with the new change you need to look at 8b pricing not 8a.

This is how it is for everyone.

I guess I don't understand that if you had no fuel surcharge to being with,

Because- the reason they even allow price drops to begin with is they don't want to penalize people who book early. So, the amount of refund or credit they give you is the difference between what I would pay if I booked today and what you paid.

If port charges, taxes or fees increase, the amount of credit you are eligible for decreases. There was a price drop on my cruise, but for some reason taxes went up. So that ate into my credit.

I totally agree and think it's crazy that Carnival offers the price reductions that they do. I can see giving them up until final payment but all the last minute stuff has gotten rediculous. I book my cruises at a price I'm willing to pay. Eventually Carnival will wise up and adhere to their own policies.

I know it was reported that 45 day letters are no longer being sent but do you know if they are still honoring the ones they've already sent out? I have one but we aren't sailing til April so I haven't called. :)

I thought I was the only one that felt that way! I agree with you on reductions until up to final payment, but they should cool after that, especially since people don't want it both ways!

In 6 cruises in the past 2 years, I've had one price drop a week after booking. Of course, I tend to book fairly late (3 were booked less than 90 days before sailing; the other 3 booked 7-8 months before sailing). The one price drop was for $50, and the fuel surcharge had increased $2, so I was anticipating a $40 pp break. I was pleasantly surprised that my fuel surcharge didn't change. I even asked about it, but was told no, I got the full $50 off. I guess a lot depends on who you get.

I would have to think that any 45 day letter already sent would be honored. It would be bad PR to not do so.

After 11 cruises on Carnival and taking 61 cruisers with us since our first, I am so disappointed I am thinking of changing Lines.

Unfortunately, other cruise lines charge more than Carnival. It seems like you will bite off your nose to spite your face.

Companies have rules they go by with pricing, like it or not, and the other lines that you are thinking about changing to probably have the same rules. Whatever you choose to do, we hope you have a good time on your future cruises...

I thought I was the only one that felt that way! I agree with you on reductions until up to final payment, but they should cool after that, especially since people don't want it both ways!

In 6 cruises in the past 2 years, I've had one price drop a week after booking. Of course, I tend to book fairly late (3 were booked less than 90 days before sailing; the other 3 booked 7-8 months before sailing). The one price drop was for $50, and the fuel surcharge had increased $2, so I was anticipating a $40 pp break. I was pleasantly surprised that my fuel surcharge didn't change. I even asked about it, but was told no, I got the full $50 off. I guess a lot depends on who you get.

I would have to think that any 45 day letter already sent would be honored. It would be bad PR to not do so.

If they don't honor the 45 day letter (which actually states 30 days) should I cancel and book with another line?? I mean I'm entitled to get what they promised right?? Of course I'm just kidding here I'd never cancel for that and if they don't honor it well I'm glad they received my letter :)

I look at the price reductions as a type of clearance sale. Much like real inventory in a store. If I get the opportunity to pick out the tv of my choice and I pay what I consider a fair price then I'm happy. If the stores policy gurantees that price for the next 30 days and it goes on sale for less then I'd take them up on it. If that tv goes on clearance 6 months from now should I expect to get my money back? Heck no! Booking a cruise early allows me to choose the cabin I want and I'm willing to give my deposit to Carnival to hold that cabin for me. It gurantees me that cabin (unless I've booked a hc or a cabin that holds more than what I've booked in it). I don't consider that a penalty for booking early I consider that an advantage. If someone else gets a better price by booking last minute I don't consider that a penalty to me as they have far fewer cabins to choose from. It goes back to the clearance deals. I'm not willing to wait for an item to go on clearance to get a better deal so I buy early when the selection is the greatest.

If they don't honor the 45 day letter (which actually states 30 days) should I cancel and book with another line?? I mean I'm entitled to get what they promised right?? Of course I'm just kidding here I'd never cancel for that and if they don't honor it well I'm glad they received my letter :)

Well. if a free bottle of wine of photo is worth sacrificing your cruise in the $1000s, go for it;)

I've never been one to write a letter after the cruise due to laziness, though I usually write a book on my comment card. I hope with the removal of the 45 day letter that the people that have been writing will continue to write even though they won't get anything. I know people like you will:)

I booked a hotel for next June this past week, and the rates have been up and then down since I booked. The hotel has a $25 cancellation fee for online reservations. Maybe Carnival should add this fee of $25 and folks wouldnt be so quick to want to change. Its not enough to deter me from booking, just enough to probably keep me from changing to another hotel if I find a slightly better rate.

If the precedent had been set that if after booking a cruise, should the price of the cruise go up you'd have to pay more, then the OP (or anyone) would not have a choice. (thank God they don't). The fact remains that a precedent was set by Carnival in that they do give OBC, even in the penalty phase, thereby the OP isn't incorrect in wanting her OBC.

If the OP is now in a 8B cabin and wants the OBC for a 8A cabin, because "carnival put her in the cabin" she is incorrect. No one else gets that, not on Carnival and not on other cruiselines.

I think some are missing the point that the OP is arguing for the 8A price, but never says she suggested to them giving up her 8B cabin.

Archived