Help us pass the time in Orlando

SAD

I am booked on SOS with a friend from work (her first cruise) for April 25 and upon disembarkation we will not be flying out until 4:00. I was hoping that maybe someone out there might have a few ideas of how to pass the time while waiting for our flight out of Orlando. We don't want to spend the money on going to the parks for that short period of time. Please help!!!!

I know you said you didn't want to spend for parks for that day...BUT the Gatorland Zoo is not expensive. Hey, there's even a tupperware museum LOL! If you need to do ANY shopping, Orlando seems to be the factory outlet center for the entire galaxy (We like the Belz Factory Outlet). There are also plenty of Waterparks if the weather is good enough and you are into that sort of thing.

Even, what I call, "Ducks on Parade" at the Peabody Hotel. And don't forget there are lots of golf courses in the area.

Just some ideas. I'm sure someone from Orlando will supply more.

-Monte

I am booked on SOS with a friend from work (her first cruise) for April 25 and upon disembarkation we will not be flying out until 4:00. I was hoping that maybe someone out there might have a few ideas of how to pass the time while waiting for our flight out of Orlando. We don't want to spend the money on going to the parks for that short period of time. Please help!!!!

Hi,

I live on the West Coast of Fla, very close to the Orlando Kissimee area. If your not sick of all the food you already ate on the ship, there is a neat resturant in Kissimee. Its called Boston Lobster Feast and the price is right. Email me at Marilyn705@comcast.net and I will send you the website. Heck, for all the Maine lobster, shrimp, crab legs etc, and I mean etc you can eat for $19.95 per person you cant go wrong. Plus, there is a tourist attraction called Olde Towne righe across the street that has a lot to do as well, all for free unless you purchase something from one of the shops.

Have a great cruise!

Marilyn

I would suggest that you do some of the fun things near the ship in Brevard County. The Ron Jon Surf Shop is only a couple miles down A1A from the cruise ship terminal. You also have the Kennedy Space Center Visitor Center and the Astronaut Hall of Fame if you're interested in the space program. The Merritt Island Wildlife Refuge area is right there. There are many beaches and bars on the water.

If you stay in the area you would need to leave about 1:30 at the latest to catch your 4:00 flight.

On International Drive in Orlando near the Peabody, there's a good mall, Pointe Place (or something like that). There's also the Hard Rock vault, with a self-guided tour, and a Titanic exhibit. The Titanic is in the Mercado, and the HR is right outside. There's also a place right across I-drive that gives helicopter tours. Oh yeah, there's also a Boston Lobster Fest right in the same area, along with alot of other nice restaurants.

Farther down I-drive there are the outlet malls, and another Ron Jon's (I like the one in Cocoa Beach best)

And you couldn't go wrong with the Kennedy Space Center.

The Titanic exhibition at the Mercado is fantastic. My family loved every minute of it. Sea World is an option you could consider. Also, closer to MCO is the Florida Mall- if you are interested in shopping. Belz outlet is good. I prefer the Premium Outlet which is right at the other end of International Drive- near the Buena Vista Disney entrance. Try to pick up a coupon boklet, available in restaurants, tourist info offices etc. You can find a voucher which can be swapped at the information desk in the outlet for money-off coupons in individual shops. I love Orlando. I have visited 9 times in the last 12 years- missing only the 3 years when my children were born!! We are not theme park junkies!! There is loads to do without going near Disney.

Have fun!!

I'd make a reservation at the Peabody for their excellent brunch, see the ducks march, and just relax in the elegant surroundings.

Keep in mind that MCO is still incredibly disorganized as far as security screening goes, and the lines can be over an hour long, so you really, really need to be at the airport the better part of two hours before your flight.

That gives you the perfect amount of time for brunch and duck watching in the lobby.

Anne

Thank you for all of your ideas. I have been to Orlando many times but always spend my time in the parks so I didn't know what else the city has to offer. I can not wait for April 25. I think that I am going to drive my friend crazy with all of my early planning.:D

if your driving i would suggest getting off and going into coaoa beach to Ronjons then going down 520 west to cococavillage. It is a great way to spend a leisurly mornign browsing the shops anlong the river then heading to teh airpor! Ron jons is about 5 miles from teh port of you go east on 528 after exiting teh port you will make a curve and you will be on A1A go south on A1A for about 4 mioles and rinjons will be just past the 520 intesection on the left.

Spending the morning on the beach is also a possoblity just behind ronjosn there is a nice beach with showers...

...Its called Boston Lobster Feast and the price is right. Email me at Marilyn705@comcast.net and I will send you the website. Heck, for all the Maine lobster, shrimp, crab legs etc, and I mean etc you can eat for $19.95 per person you cant go wrong.

My hubby and I are returning to Orlando for a convention next week and were just talking about this restaurant last night! I went to the website - it lists the current prices as $24.95 before 6pm and $29.95 after 6. I remember it as being very good - just go hungry!

Archived