Bus ride from ferry() Balboa back to Colon

Jesterscourt

We are thrilled with the prospect of cruising by ferry from Gatun Lake to Balboa through the Panama Canal. But I am reluctant to subject my wife with a bad back to a frustrating bus ride at the end of the tour which could possibly ruin the entire experience. How's this for a perfect solution. Why don't they offer the opportunity to take the train back to Colon after the ferry ride if they know the road is that clogged with traffic and potholes and construction? Afterall, they're paying several hundred thousand dollars for each of their ships to transit the canal. Can't they exert some kind of influence on providing train service for their customers? They used to offer the railway excursion as a roundtrip so there was no bus involved so I know it can be done. Anyway, would appreciate some specifics (compliments and constructive criticism) about the bus trip from recent travelers. Thanks!

We are thrilled with the prospect of cruising by ferry from Gatun Lake to Balboa through the Panama Canal. But I am reluctant to subject my wife with a bad back to a frustrating bus ride at the end of the tour which could possibly ruin the entire experience. How's this for a perfect solution. Why don't they offer the opportunity to take the train back to Colon after the ferry ride if they know the road is that clogged with traffic and potholes and construction? Afterall, they're paying several hundred thousand dollars for each of their ships to transit the canal. Can't they exert some kind of influence on providing train service for their customers? They used to offer the railway excursion as a roundtrip so there was no bus involved so I know it can be done. Anyway, would appreciate some specifics (compliments and constructive criticism) about the bus trip from recent travelers. Thanks!

I did this very bus trip but in 2004 and the bus that we were on was a comfortable ride as a bus would be. The roads were not that bad and frankly it quite a smooth ride. Just be prepared for a very long day. By the time you do the ferry ride to the westcoast side, then board the bus back to the ship it makes for a very long day. That might tire your wife and be hard on her back. Also it is very hot and humid. On the ferry just make sure she has a seat in the covered part of the ferry. Do not go on the 2nd level as that is all open and boy is it hot and humid. Good luck.

Marilyn

From what I know there are many cruise lines using the train in the course of the day. We were fortunate to have a round trip excursion on the train. We tried to book the train on our own, but found out that the cruise ships charter the train between the morning and evening commuter run.

So, I do not think that taking the train is possible. The bus we were on (to travel around the Pacific side) was a wonderful bus.

As the previous poster said - expect a long day. Have fun!

Archived