cabin steward tipping

retcwby

I have never tipped at the beginning of the cruise and have had outstanding cabin stewards. I've also had a couple of duds. The good ones were tipped extra at the end of the cruise. The duds only got the automatic tips.

Tip however you want. If you want to tip extra on the first day then go ahead, if you want to tip on the last day that is great too.....if you don't want to tip extra at all then so be it.........

There are no rules about tipping......it is all about your experience, and that is all that matters.........

I must be losing my mind today, because for some reason I thought of cow tipping when I read the title of this thread. :o

To get back on topic, I have never tipped up front unless I made a special request. In 11 cruises, I can think of twice where the service wasn't exceptional to deserve an additional tip at the end of the cruise. Auto-tips were always left in place, though.

I must be losing my mind today, because for some reason I thought of cow tipping when I read the title of this thread. :o

I have been thinking this since I first read it:D but knew everyone would know I was crazy if I said it, glad I am not the only one.

We have never tipped on the first day and I honestly do not think it would matter. We had excellent service on our cruise in September, but to be honest it was nothing that I did not expect. Had I slipped him something else, we may have gotten more conversation, but there just was not anything else he could have done better for us. I think he was naturally a very quite person.

I have a British friend who visits here annually, and she is appalled that we tip so much, so often. It's the way of life here, my friend. You Brits are infamous for non-tipping. Not being critical of y'all; just the way it is. But, "when in Rome.....".:D

In Europe tips are charged and is included in the cost of the service. Here in the USA tips are not charged and is given for good service.

I have noticed that Carnival now has automatic tipping. Service was better when they gave out the envelopes and you gave the provider of the service what you thought he/she acctually earned and the value of the service you recieved.

Insure?

Good grief!

It blows me away at how many people STILL think that is what it stands for, ROFLMAO!!!!! Insure??? LOL!!

I have tipped at the beginning a few times, but only when I am making special requests that are above and beyond their job and I know will take them a few extra minutes each day. Otherwise, if warranted, I tip additional at the end of the cruise. I've never received bad service... some better than others, but never bad.

We always tip the Cabin Steward a little more + keep the auto tips. We seem to always get good service all around, but it's just something about that guy or girl who makes my bed and cleans the bathroom. I just have to give them a few extra bucks!! :)

If you "tip" at the beginning, are you tipping them or bribing them?

And as long as you get good service, does it matter?

Has anyone ever tipped the first day and NOT had good service?

For that matter, has anybody NOT tipped thefirst day and NOT had good service?

Gale

Not necessary.... I guarantee you'll get tip top service either way. That's what they DO.

You are not getting any better service than those who don't tip upfront.....believe me.

I totally disagree with G'Ma.

When I tip at the beginning, my cabin stewards are very quick to offer additional services such as "would you like me to put away your clothes" or "do you want additional ice, towels etc. in your room everyday". Yes this has happened several times and no, my fellow hallmates were not offered the same services.

It doesn't take much, but it shows them that you are not going to give them the shaft at the end of the cruise.:D

If you "tip" at the beginning, are you tipping them or bribing them?

And as long as you get good service, does it matter?

Has anyone ever tipped the first day and NOT had good service?

For that matter, has anybody NOT tipped thefirst day and NOT had good service?

Gale

I don't see it that way... if you "tip" at the beginning, you are tipping them... especially if you are asking them to do more than their standard duties, you are letting them know that you know it is above and beyond and you don't expect them to do it for free...

I've always had good service, meaning, they did their job... I've had some that went above and beyond, some that just did their job and moved on... some I've tipped in advance, some halfway through, some at the end, and some no additional tip beyond the auto tips...

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='Hurry&Wait']
It doesn't take much, but it shows them that you are not going to give them the shaft at the end of the cruise.:D[/QUOTE]
Hi! I agree. Sometimes it does help. But not always.....:rolleyes:

BTW, I see you are also from Gilbert. Howdy, neighbor! If you click on the link in my siggy it will take you to our AZ Cruisers thread. We are an active group and would love to have you join us.:D

Archived