kids program and dinner time

Dlynn

We are going on the Mariner. I am planning on early seating for dinner. I want our kids to eat with us in the dining room. From what I have read most kids rush through dinner to get to the kids program. Can they go late or do they have to check in at a certain time? What time are most people done with dinner when they have main seating? What time does the kids program start?

The kids don't need to report to the kid's program at any certain time. If your early dinner starts at 6, you should be finished by 7:45. The evening activities usually start at around 7, but they don't need to get there right at that time.

If you prepare your kids ahead of time there shouldnt be any rushing to get to the clubs.

We cruised with my whole entire family. SOme of the conditions that the kids were told BEFORE we went included dinner was for family time. There will be no dinners off with new found friends. (family is forever) we cruise as a family so we want to eat as a family. They had to stay up til dessert- when the dessert menu came around they could either stay for dessert or leave...but they had to wait til the waiter bought the menu to us. We never had a problem all week. because they knew ahead of time what was to be expected.

• 1 month later...

Imagine everyone else having dinner at 6 which meant they had to get ready for it by 5 pm! This happened on my last cruise where we booked in second seating. 5-8 for us was often time to relax before dressing for the night, usually watching a sunset which isnt so bad.. but when 7pm rollls around, it signals the start to the nightly activities, and i havent even started dinner! I had one hour until meeting my parents in the dining room at 8, and would rush, to finish dinner by 9 when the main activity would begin. This type of schedule completely didnt work for us! My next cruise- 4 days from now, we have booked main seating so we can avoid any rush to get to the program and enjoy proper dinner hours!

BaliChick has a point.

I think that demanding your children to sit through dinner is dependent upon what else is going on. Take a look at the iternerary and be flexible if need be. If there is something going on that your kids really want to do and it is during dinner seating, perhaps it is a time to look at dining options. Do the buffet as a family if family dining is important to you. Or, sit with your kids while they do an alternate meal. The kid can accompany you to the dining room at your regular seating time, and excuse themselves (and one parent) at the time the activity is to begin for check-in. The parent can return (generally in about the time of a standard restroom break).

If AO offers a AO dinner option, talk to your kids and as a group decide whether they would prefer a "night off" with their friends and let them attend at least one such dinner.

Remember it is their vacation too. There is plenty of time for family activities. In everyone is flexible, everyone's needs can be met.

Archived