Snorkeling Scott’s Head in Dominica

SnorkelLady

Has anyone snorkeled Scott’s Head in Dominica? What is it like? How does it compare to Champagne Beach/reef?

I think you may be referring to Soufriere Bay rather than Scott's Head. Scott's Head is at the far end of the bay and has a very strong current -- not very conducive to snorkeling. The bay is wonderful for diving, but you may need a boat to take you out to one of the pinnacles to snorkel because I'm not sure the shore snorkeling is that good. Soufriere Bay will far exceed Champagne reef, but Champagne reef is closer to the cruise pier.

That was weird. Anyway, back on track:

Thanks for the info about Scott’s Head. Yes, it’s probably Soufriere Bay that I heard about. The diving is supposed to be much better at Soufriere than Champagne, but I wasn’t sure how the snorkeling compares. If I understood you, the snorkeling from shore is not good at Soufriere? Is the snorkeling better at Champagne Beach?

I was hoping to find a place with a beach and chairs for the non-snorkelers in our group, but I don’t want to sacrifice good snorkeling.

That was weird. Anyway, back on track:

Thanks for the info about Scott’s Head. Yes, it’s probably Soufriere Bay that I heard about. The diving is supposed to be much better at Soufriere than Champagne, but I wasn’t sure how the snorkeling compares. If I understood you, the snorkeling from shore is not good at Soufriere? Is the snorkeling better at Champagne Beach?

I was hoping to find a place with a beach and chairs for the non-snorkelers in our group, but I don’t want to sacrifice good snorkeling.

SnorkelLady, we've never snorkeled there so I can't say how the shore snorkeling is, but according to one website it's pretty good. There is a small (very small) beach for the non-snorkelers, but no chairs. I'll try to attach pictures here.

soufriere1.jpg.597aed2c2dcdbfccb1711469632891f5.jpg

soufriere2.jpg.c3178751e6bf66d0ab582bb6e0f321f4.jpg

Do you know how teh snorkeling is there at Soufriere? I've searched a million times and can't seem to find that much info on it. My family & I are going to be there in December and are going to do Champagne reef and I was curious if it was worth going to Soufriere Bay to see some fish/reef. Any info would help! thanks!!

I don't know at all how the snorkelling is at Soufriere.....we did bring our own gear along and snorkeled at Champagne Reef....the bubbles are cool, but there's not a lot of fish.

Soufriere is very calm on the Caribbean side, and there are coral beds in the water - I would think that would mean some fish. The diving they say, is spectacular.

....just dug around the internet and read that Soufriere/Scotts Head is a marine reserve....there is a section located at the beach called "tous sable" that is set aside as an area for swimming and snorkeling from shore. It is a fairly secluded beach.

On Trip Advisor, a couple stayed at the cottages on Soufriere's beach...they had nothing but good to say. As we drove thru that area I felt a little unsure of it all, so their report ( from 2007) is contrary to what I would have expected to hear.

My pics below show Soufriere from above and then down on the beach.

IMG_1572.jpg.b1d533d1d4d8c6f007a06b977161de0f.jpg

IMG_1552.jpg.cc9a0220876aaaf099786d47e0d6aa72.jpg

IMG_1559.jpg.9e654955610e6f8e05d7f026d6c4a659.jpg

In our cruise last year Dominica was one of the ports. We arranged with Aldives to take us to Scotts Head for diving/snorkeling. When we got there, the scenery was good -- which was why I requested to go there. However, the current near the end of the "bay" was a bit rough. The captain called the safety card, and we headed back further north. Our second site was Champagne Reef (as I had requested). It was not spectacular, but was interesting. A good long shallow dive. We saw a long line of squid lined up one after another.

It didn't look like there were many beaches along the coast. It was more of a rugged mountain and rocky type of coast line. Pretty, but not for beaching. If some people had experience to enjoy some beaches, good for them.

• 3 years later...
Has anyone snorkeled Scott’s Head in Dominica? What is it like? How does it compare to Champagne Beach/reef?

I was wondering if it would be affordable to take a taxi out to the Soufriere Scott's Head Marine Reserve/Irie Safari location? From the cruise wharf. If it was affordable; we could get several (extra) hours of snorkeling in. As opposed to the Irie Safari Tour itself.

Just wondering! Thanks

• 3 months later...

Archived