Adapter Plug

Napi's Mom

For all the more techno inclined out there

Buying a battery charger a free Eu to Us plug adapter came with it. (From the 2 round plugs to US flat pronged plugin.) Thought hey great to make use of those MANY euro plugs in cabins, while there are few US style (by the way does this make any sense to you considering way more than 1/2 passengers are US:confused:). Reading farther, it says this changes only the plug, not the voltage. Does this make it unusable aboard ship:confused:

There are adapters and converters---an adapter allows you to change the type of plug you use while the converter is the mechanism that actually changes the voltage. So, you can't stick an adapter into a Euro outlet and then plug your appliance in without also using a converter to change the voltage.

If whatever you are wanting to use it for can handle international voltages (e.g. 110-240v) e.g. some shavers, hair dryers, that battery charger, most modern laptops, then all you need to use is the adapter. If it is only designed for domestic use e.g. portable stereos then it won't work and may be damaged.

One of the reasons all of our travel appliances are dual voltage, just another option on cruise ships and no fooling aroud with voltage converters when abroad. Appliances that have transformers between the appliance and the plug, like some battery chargers and most laptops usually dont need converters, just the adapters.

Whatever I use here in the US works on the ships. No converters/adaptors are needed, other than what you would use at home (even in Sheboygan ;) )

I quite realize that in the regular plugs... you can use the US appliances...but there seem to be far more of the European style outlets in the cabin from photos I've seen, than US. I know I usually take at least 1 power strip, but even that limits things you can plug in & WHERE also. We are camera buffs...need to charge batteries, and was hoping with this converter I could utilize some of these other outlets. Most of those power converters that come with chargers etc. actually reduce the 110 don't they?

Oh well seems like the idea of just using this adapter will probably not work without a converter, and with 1 camera dock that's supposed to charge 2 different camera's rechargeable batteries, but only does 1 we'll need a charger along for the other. Plus whatever else we plug in..luckily we don't use computer onboard, or ipods, phones etc.,:rolleyes: (yes we have them ~ even here in Sheboygan....just don't use them on VACATION if we can help it):D

In our last cruise room (CC on the Constellation) there were two USA (North American) style 110V grounded (three prong) outlets by the desk and two European style 220V outlets. (Click here for picture) So there were an equal number of each. The shaver (low power only) outlet in the bathroom would work with either plug and the outlets behind the TV were USA style.

We've found most of our electronics specifically say on them what current (110V or 220V) they are designed for and that most of our battery chargers (cell phone, camera, etc) are dual voltage and will work with either. For these we use the basic USA style to European Style adapter which runs about $5 online. (Click here for an example). My wife bought a travel hairdryer that is dual voltage (110/220) with a small switch on it so we use that in the round 220v outlet with the adapter.

As another poster mentioned, you can buy converters to change the voltage. However, converters are not generic and you need specific types for different appliances. For example one you buy that is designed to work for your hair dryer might fry your alarm clock. So be careful in choosing these. The ones that are somewhat universal are very expensive.

In our last cruise room (CC on the Constellation) there were two USA (North American) style 110V grounded (three prong) outlets by the desk and two European style 220V outlets. (Click here for picture) So there were an equal number of each. The shaver (low power only) outlet in the bathroom would work with either plug and the outlets behind the TV were USA style.

We've found most of our electronics specifically say on them what current (110V or 220V) they are designed for and that most of our battery chargers (cell phone, camera, etc) are dual voltage and will work with either. For these we use the basic USA style to European Style adapter which runs about $5 online. (Click here for an example). My wife bought a travel hairdryer that is dual voltage (110/220) with a small switch on it so we use that in the round 220v outlet with the adapter.

As another poster mentioned, you can buy converters to change the voltage. However, converters are not generic and you need specific types for different appliances. For example one you buy that is designed to work for your hair dryer might fry your alarm clock. So be careful in choosing these. The ones that are somewhat universal are very expensive.

Thanks that's exactly the adapter I'm getting (Free~ nicely) with the charger, and advert says "can be used anywhere" so I hope I can utilize one of those European outlets to free up other ones. I'm glad to hear that there are at least 2 Us outlets...on Renn.style ships there are only 1, which were the last 2 cruises we were on. Constantly plugging & Unplugging is irritating.

I would also like to take the time to thank you for the cabin pictures you have made available on the Geocities website. It helped us to choose the deck 7 aft accessible cabin on Millennium for our next cruise. I'd looked at all the photos for cabins, as the last Celebrity ship we'd been on was the Meridian in '93!! When deciding that I felt a need to reserve an Access. cabin due to back problems that re-occur frequently, and walking/balance problems(use a cane onboard) that always cause trouble in the Bath area. Wishing the safety bars (after nearly falling several times in high seas with nothing to hold onto). Looked at your photos and made a "wish" for the aft ones, but requested simply an access. cabin, in CC, which we were upgrading to. Were thrilled that 7212 was still avail., and we are sure it will be wonderful on our NZ/OZ cruise!!! Thanks for all the great pictures!!:)

If whatever you are wanting to use it for can handle international voltages (e.g. 110-240v) e.g. some shavers, hair dryers, that battery charger, most modern laptops, then all you need to use is the adapter. If it is only designed for domestic use e.g. portable stereos then it won't work and may be damaged.
If it is designed for 117v only, and you plug it into 234v it WILL be damaged, no maybe about it. On the bright side that will be one less item to carry home:eek:

[i do use the 234v European sockets all the time for my dual voltage battery charger - that works great.]

I have found that all of my battery chargers for my two digital still cameras, one video cameras, flashes and other electronic devices have such a low wattage requirement (less than 15 watts) that they work fine using the shaver outlet in the bathroom. Just check the output in watts of the outlet (typically 20 to 30 watts) which is usually indicates that on the outside and the wattage requirement of the charger you want to plug in.

I have found that all of my battery chargers for my two digital still cameras, one video cameras, flashes and other electronic devices have such a low wattage requirement (less than 15 watts) that they work fine using the shaver outlet in the bathroom. Just check the output in watts of the outlet (typically 20 to 30 watts) which is usually indicates that on the outside and the wattage requirement of the charger you want to plug in.
Be aware that on many ships the bathroom plug is controlled by the light switch, and there is no current unless the light is on. I discovered this when I brought a night light and tried to use it in the bathroom - it only worked when the light was on [sort of defeated the intended purpose:rolleyes:]. But sounds like a good suggestion as long as you realize you may have to leave the light on.

Thom

Be aware that on many ships the bathroom plug is controlled by the light switch, and there is no current unless the light is on. I discovered this when I brought a night light and tried to use it in the bathroom - it only worked when the light was on [sort of defeated the intended purpose:rolleyes:]. But sounds like a good suggestion as long as you realize you may have to leave the light on.

Thom

I haven't run into this but will make sure I check that the LED charging lindicator that all of my chargers have is lit up when the bathroom light are off.

I don't believe this is the norm as usually you have to leave rechargable shavers plugged in overnight to charge them and with current energy conservation push this wouldn't be very energy conservative.

We also bring a night light to avoid the awful glare effect fluorescent light have on your light sensitive eyes at night so I guess it's use will quickly sort this one out.

Archived