LABADEE questions

gdpups

I'm planning excursions for our Freedom of the Sea cruise next year and I had some questions about Labadee. I know they serve a BBQ lunch, but can someone explain what time it's served and about how long it takes to get through lines and such. I'm planning both a morning and afternoon excursion, so need to figure the timing.

Also, I'm planning on jet skiing and was wondering if if there is any better time to plan for it. We were in Hawaii this summer and in Maui the better excursions are in the morning because the wind picks up in the afternoon and the water is much more choppy. Any difference in Labadee??

Also, has anyone done the kayak excursion and if so was it fun?? My kids want the parasailing, but I'm too chicken! Any advise would be very helpful!!

i've been to labadee a number of times on various cruises. I've done they kayak adventure there as well as the jet ski excursion.

the kayak adventure that we did was in 2006, so, it was a while back. however, i don't think it's changed much. The only downside to this excursion is that it does require a great deal of exertion and you are TIRED afterwards. If you go, wear a t shirt because the life vest rubs against your arms and it hurts. Also, bring water, I got nearly dehydrated doing this because of the awful sun.

The jet ski excursion was the most recent - we did it in may of this year. we loved it. they were very good with teaching you how to use the equipment and leading you on a tour. we went on the first one out at 800 AM. i don't know if the water was better then, but i do know that labadee and the tenders were less crowded. so, i reccomend early. doing this, we had time to go back to the boat for lunch and go back out.

On lunch, the lines can be long at the time everyone eats. I prefer going inside to eat. just take a tender, eat, and shower, then go back out. Or eat, rest, and go back out. much better that way.

Just be aware that the BBQ lunch is more along the lines of an over-sized picnic than anything else. It has to be brought from the ship so keep that in mind when you sit down with your plate. I'll go back to the ship for lunch next time around.

Labadee is a decent beach day. You don't have people trying to sell you stuff at every turn unless you go into the market area. That, folks, is not a good spot to go into if you don't like hard-core pushy sellers. They make used-car salesmen look tame.

I understand (correct me if I'm wrong please) that the jet-ski is a "Follow the Leader" type thing and you're not really allowed to run on your own much. Given the area outside the fences, that's probably a good idea.

If you've never been to Labadee, do a lot of reading here on the boards before you go. Remember that everyone has their own opinion of the place and my perception (manufactured paradise that isn't really Haiti) is going to differ from someone else's. You'll enjoy the day, don't be concerned about that.

Have a great cruise.

Usually on the Labadee day, the Windjammer is closed for lunch BUT the dining room is open. This can vary by ship though so check your Compass - but they will always leave at least one venue open for lunch while at Labadee.

the majority of the posters are right. windjammer is closed on labadee day as the "bbq" is the windjammer staff and food. the dining room is open and we love doing johnny rockets on labadee day.

i also agree with the previous poster: labadee IS a created entity owned by RCCL. Labadee is definately not a Haitian experience. i have encountered the local haitians on the kayak experience. you stop a a beach outside the 'armed gaurd area' and the haitians try to sell you their stuff.

another piece of advice, take the golf cart driven "cabs" to the beaches further from the tender station as they are less crowded. I still love labadee though - the water and mountains are beautiful. I've posted one of my labadee pics below.

IMG_1370.JPG

Archived