The Yachts of Seabourn vs. Windstar Cruises

bahrain_not_dubai!

I am quite a newcomer to the 'luxury' cruises field and so I wanted to inquire on two sailings on two diffrent lines.

I have two choices one on Windstar and the other on Seabourn for a voyage in July 2009. Although I understand the Windstar ships are not 'luxury' ships they do offer something rather diffrent than normal liners.

Should I choose Windstar I would also be paying $1000pp less than on Seabourn. All I wanted to ask is if Seabourn are really worth that much? How do the two lines compare? I know the answer might be obvious but for people who used to cruise on mainstream lines what where your feelings when you went on a Seabourn cruise? Although I wont say im stuffed im not in the best position to go on an extrvaganza of luxury cruises unless its really worth it!

So whats ur opinions

7 nights on Wind Surf for $2749pp

August 9 Venice/Italy -- 11:00 PM

August 10 Rovinj/Croatia 8:00 AM 4:00 PM

August 11 Split/Croatia 9:00 AM 3:00 PM

August 12 At Sea -- --

August 13 Messina/Sicily 1:00 PM 8:00 PM

August 14 Amalfi/Italy 1:00 PM 11:00 PM

August 15 Ponza/Italy 9:00 AM 5:00 PM

August 16 Rome/Italy 7:00 AM

or

7 nights on Seabourn Spirit for $3600pp

1 S Venice, Italy

2 SU Hvar, Croatia

3 M Bari, Italy

X Bari, Italy

4 T Cruising The Gulf Of Squillace

5 W Taormina, Sicily, Italy

6 TH Lipari Island, Italy

7 F Sorrento, Italy

8 S Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy

Thanksss for helpming me with the tough choice! :D

Hi! I've never been on Windstar but I have looked at their brochures and contemplated a cruise. They look like lovely ships and, from what I can tell, are much more casual.

I guess it really depends on what is important to you. I choose Seabourn because of its small size (which I know Windstar is a smaller ship too), their gorgeous cabins, their superlative service, and the elegance. You know, alot of people don't like "dressing up". I do. And Seabourn tends to be a formal ship. Not only on formal nights; I notice people look very nice all the time. That's my cup of tea. There also don't seem to be that many families with small children. That's another reason I choose Seabourn! The quiet.

I could go on more cruises if I sailed a less expensive line. But...well....after you've been on Seabourn, everything else seems to pale in comparison!

Perhaps someone who has been on both lines can give you more in detail, but that's my take on it.

Jane

Our first cruise was windstar and we enjoyed it. It was Nice to Rome. We also went windstar to New Zealand and it was an awesome trip. But, there is no comparison between seabourn and windstar, except that they are both small.

Windstar cabins are 188sq. feet, adequate but not luxurious. The food is mediocre, not excellent. You also pay for drinks, wine, soda, etc. on windstar.

If you want very casual, very limited facilities and do not have much interest in fine food or all inclusive cocktails, go windstar. She is a unique ship, and the sails are always well received at sea and at port.

Dollar for dollar, seabourn is a much better value because the accomodations, food, service and amenities are so superior.

We have sailed on both and enjoyed both. I agree, Seabourn is luxury all the way; Windstar is more casual. I think if you are using your ship just as a hotel room and spending your days ashore, personally, I would save the money and go with Windstar. You can buy a lot of alcohol with that $1000 you saved. But, if you are going to primarily stay on the ship and spend very little time ashore, i.e., a cruise with alot of at sea days, I would spend the extra money and enjoy living in luxury on the Seabourn. When we sailed Windstar we had no children on board. Hope this helps.

I've tried them both and you will have a great time whichever one you choose. For one thing, you're cruising the Mediterranean!

Windstar has the classic look and the sails. They bring out the watersports equipment at nearly every port. Wind Surf has a choice of several restaurants so you should have plenty of variety with your meals - they've even added two dining venues recently which should make it even better. The pool area is set up nicely with lots of room to sun - the pool on the Seabourn ships is an afterthought.

Seabourn has much larger and better furnished staterooms. The food is great, you can order off the menu and there is never anyone expecting a tip. There is a large, sunny whirlpool in the bow of the ship which nearly makes up for the ill-conceived pool. The entertainment on Seabourn is far superior to the entertainment on Wind Surf and the crew is more polished. I found the shore excursions less expensive but of higher quality on Seabourn, too.

I would enjoy either, but Seabourn is a more deluxe all-around experience. I would pay the difference. By the time you add in your gratuities, port charges and drinks (alcoholic and non-alcoholic) the difference could be minimal but the difference substantial.

I suggest that that you try Windstar first because once you try Seabourn you'll never go back. The cabins and dining on Windstar while superior to RCC and the like, do not compare to Seabourn. Windstar is less formal and there is something to be said for that. Entertainment is just a trio on Windstar. Seabourn does have more entertainment, but nothing like the big ships.Windstar's cabins have a shower that is miniscule while Seabourn the suites have marble baths with full tubs. The staff on both are congenial but, I never had someone ask me on Windstar if I'd like caviar or a shrimp cocktail with my drink at the bar. The food is far superior on Seabourn and the service superb. The on deck barbeque is like being in paradise.

To tell you why I love Seabourn while in Livorno my husband and I decided not to do the Florence excursion. We walked into town. It had started to drizzle. Standing on the gangplank were crew members with umbrellas. Upon entering the band who was waiting for people to return from Florence serenaded my husband and I while we were served canapes and champagne. I said we just walked to town. It didn't matter to them. It doesn't get any better than that.

• 1 month later...

I have been on both, Seabourn first and then Windstar. Although I enjoyed the Windstar trip, my previous experience with Seabourn spoiled me.

Two things for me make Seabourn special: First, I think the service and staff are first rate. Second, and as important, I found the other guests on Seabourn to be very pleasant to be with. Not so much on Windstar.

Two things for me make Seabourn special: First, I think the service and staff are first rate. Second, and as important, I found the other guests on Seabourn to be very pleasant to be with. Not so much on Windstar.

Our cruise experiences are limited to only Seabourn in 2006 for the Greek Isles and Turkish Coast and in 2008 with Crystal for the Baltics/Russia. We've been spoiled and super enjoyed both. In Athens as we boarded Seabourn, we walked by the Windstar ship and I was surprised by looking closely at the outside of their ship. Their Windstar ships are super "cool" to see from a distance, but up close, the degree of maintenance on their ship seems so-so at best. I'm sure the Windstar ships are safe, but it raised questions and comparison on the degree and level of excellence that Windstar seeks and achieves. Later, I looked in great detail at the cabin sizes and other details. Windstar seem different and good. BUT, Seabourn achieves a much higher level of "excellence" that does cost a little more. BUT, in the overall picture, that cost might not be that much, given what you receive and experience. It's the like the difference between a Chevrolet and Cadillac! Both will get you there. There are, however, differences in quality, comfort, style and details. Sometimes it's worth the cost difference, maybe not. It's your choice. Many of the other posted comments seem very on point for the pro/con aspects for both cruise lines. Both are smaller ships that make it easier to reach these desired smaller communities along the Croatian Coast.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Archived