Question about formal night...

idjaffe

Going on a 7 day caribbean over xmass.

Formal night - how many, and what is standard for men - is it still tux? Suit ? sports jacket?

Last couple of cruises were on NCL - where a golf shirt and pants were good for every night.

Thanks.

Formal night - how many, and what is standard for men - is it still tux? Suit ? sports jacket?

Last couple of cruises were on NCL - where a golf shirt and pants were good for every night.

Thanks.

There are 2 elegant nights on the 7 day cruises. The dress code has been relaxed, but I've seen most people still dressing formally on elegant nights. Most men wear suits and ties. A tux is fine, but not necessary.

Last week, I did not see anyone but officers in a tux. The norm seemed to be dress pants and a sport coat. My husband wore khakis and a navy blazer and looked great. Keep the suit at home - no need for it!

unless of course you are wanting to bring it to wear!

Last week' date=' I did not see anyone but officers in a tux. The norm seemed to be dress pants and a sport coat. My husband wore khakis and a navy blazer and looked great. Keep the suit at home - no need for it![/quote']

My DH wore his suit three times, on both formal nights and when we went to the Supper Club. I would say that 99% of the people on our cruise wore formal wear, everyone looked very nice.

Thanks.

Golf shirt and pants will work, but the suggestion is a dress shirt and a tie, no coat required though Carnival suggests that it is appropriate. No need for a suit or tux. Most gentlemen have forgone suits and tuxes and are wearing sport coats or just shirts and ties.

My DH wore his suit three times, on both formal nights and when we went to the Supper Club. I would say that 99% of the people on our cruise wore formal wear, everyone looked very nice.

99% wore formal wear? Even before the dress codes were modified 99% never wore formal wear. Maybe suits or jackets and ties, but formal wear implies that a man had on at a minimum a tux and that just did not happen and hasn't in years, if ever, on a Carnival cruise.

99% wore formal wear? Even before the dress codes were modified 99% never wore formal wear. Maybe suits or jackets and ties, but formal wear implies that a man had on at a minimum a tux and that just did not happen and hasn't in years, if ever, on a Carnival cruise.

All right, I will amend my statement :rolleyes:. 99% wore gowns, cocktail dresses and or suites or a Tux. Everyone looked very nice.

All right, I will amend my statement :rolleyes:. 99% wore gowns, cocktail dresses and or suites or a Tux. Everyone looked very nice.

You must be one of those who want to pretend that the Formal is still there. 99%?????????:rolleyes:

I doubt there has ever been a CCL cruise with 99%.

The children alone which can make up 10-25% of passengers are not decked out in Gowns,tuxes,ect.

I bet even 25% of the women were wearing pant suits or skirts,but not what you state.

Still plenty wearing tuxes on our back to backs... looking dashing :D And still plenty of women wearing gowns and formalwear... I really don't stop to think about what the "majority" is wearing, and I find it hard that anyone does... don't believe ANY numbers you see, they are not accurate. Wear what you feel comfortable wearing within the guidelines.

You must be one of those who want to pretend that the Formal is still there. 99%?????????:rolleyes:

I doubt there has ever been a CCL cruise with 99%.

The children alone which can make up 10-25% of passengers are not decked out in Gowns,tuxes,ect.

I bet even 25% of the women were wearing pant suits or skirts,but not what you state.

Excuse me, but were you on the Splendor 11th sailing? If not, then do not call me a liar.

As for that bet, you would loose.

For $85 Carnival took my measurements and had it in the closet when we arrived, shoes/cuff links included. Was a great deal since I didn't need to pack a suit or coat/tie combo. It stayed in the closet all week and I used it twice. Well worth the money!

Go Cats

There were a good deal of the men wearing suits and a few in a tux. I wore a sport coat and there were several men dressed like me.

Overall I was impressed with the level at which people dressed. Its good to see people taking a litle extra time to look good.

she exaggerates a bit but she was on carnival europe which is far more formal

I was on the liberty Nov. 8th....Many women worn nice cocktail dresses and men wore suits and tux.....People cleaned up well and walked with pride in their best duds.......You must keep in mind that some people can not afford new clothing/ some are more comfty going casual and some just dont' care...............With that said....Many Many guests...looked and felt fabulous..............including me LOL...................:)

Formal night seems to be an issue for a lot of people for a variety of reasons. I didn't even own a suit but after shopping for one I really didn't want to pay $350. and up for one just for 1 or 2 formal nights, so I happened by a Goodwill store and got a nice one for $6.oo..

I am on the Miracle 11/28 cruise, which will be my 18th overall cruise but the first on Carnival in over 10 years. I am 47, have a professional and demanding career, as does my wife, and neither of us will dress up for formal night. I will not even have a tie with me. We also will not go to the captains welcome reception. Kind of been there, done that after 17 other cruises.

I have dressed the same on Celebrity, Princess and HAL and have never felt either uncomfortable or out of place.

Chris

DH is still bringing his tux, and I am bringing one long formal gown. We plan on only going "formal" for the first "Cruise Elegant" night. The second one he will likely go with dockers, dress shirt, tie and sport coat. I have a black dressy dress to go with this. That's probably how we'll go dressed for the supper club as well.

We have fun with the dress up, and I miss the days with everyone in Formal gowns and tuxes, but I don't really mind the change either. I'm a go-with-the-flow kind of gal and just happy to be on a cruise!

In all my 10 years of cruising we have never dressed "formal" I have always worn a cocktail dress and dh a suit........so I have always dressed elegant not formal:D

And this upcoming cruise we will forgo cruise elegant night this time around. We will be dining the night before our cruise at a fine dining restaurant in San Diego instead......in our jeans btw........

Archived