First time cruise - Recommendations for shore excursion

henren

Hi I am booked on the norwegian star roundtrip out of Seattle May 16th 2009 for my first cruise . I will be travelling with my wife and 27 month old son . We would stopping on Juneau , ketchikan and skagway . I am planning to work with independent operators for the shore excursions . Any recommendations on who I should look for in each port ? . I am pretty sure this will be listed somewhere in the board but kinda lazy to search thru' all of them

• Administrators
Hi I am booked on the norwegian star roundtrip out of Seattle May 16th 2009 for my first cruise . I will be travelling with my wife and 27 month old son . We would stopping on Juneau , ketchikan and skagway . I am planning to work with independent operators for the shore excursions . Any recommendations on who I should look for in each port ? . I am pretty sure this will be listed somewhere in the board but kinda lazy to search thru' all of them

Well, I'm sorry about the lazy factor, but the recommended excursions for myself and my SO (we are mid-40's, no kids) would no doubt be different than what I might recommend for a couple with a 2 year old. What is it YOU like to do? What do you want to see in Alaska? What are your priorities?

Many Alaska visitors want to see whales, bears, breathtaking glaciers, indigenous peoples' villages, etc. Others want to zipline, fish, floatplane sight see, and so forth. We enjoyed the Deadliest Catch excursion in Ketchikan -- others would have been bored senseless. What do YOU want to do?

The truth is this board does not have a "one size fits all parties" list of the "best" excursions in every port. Even if it did, that's still only opinion, but the truth is one size does NOT fit all.

What do you and your wife want to do in Alaska? Why did you make the choice of this trip? What memories do you want to take home? On your itinerary, without question, the number one excursion *I'd* book is the jetboat glacier excursion in Tracy Arm, in the hope that even in early May we wouldn't be shut out and might be able to get close to the glaciers via the jet boat. But that's not an independent excursion (your priority), and may be something in which you have no interest, and so forth.

I would say you should do more research on the itinerary you have booked and placed a deposit on, then ask here about the specific options which interest you and your wife.

Have a great trip!

MichellP..Thanks for your response..I probably should have been more clear in asking what I was looking for...So here goes..

Since we live near Seattle , we had decided that we are going to cruise Alaska and since I have a 2 year old son , and this being our first cruise , we opted for freestyle cruising with norwegian... The Star also worked out a bit cheaper compared to Pearl..though..I understand that the Pearl is the better and newer ship...Is this really true?

I did do some research on the shore excursions and so far..I have come up with this list..

Ketchikan : Misty Fjords & Wilderness Explorer

Juneau : Mendenhall Glacier

Skagway : White pass scenic railway on Yukon

The Star goes to Tracy arm, but from what I've read in the cc boards , in may most of the time the ship cannot enter here and it goes to Endicott glacier...So does this mean that I will definitely see glaciers even in May on the Star or is there a chance that I will not see glaciers at all..Also you recommend taking the jetboat glacier excursion to Tracy Arm which I believe you can take just before your ship leaves Juneau and you meet up the ship once again in Tracy Arm but even here..let us say that the Star cannot enter Tracy arm and redirects to Endicott glacier , will the jetboat also do the same..

I guess the Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau can be toured on our own..So that leaves out only the Misty Fjords and White pass scenic rail..Does anyone know good independent operators for both of these tours??

MichellP..Thanks for your response..I probably should have been more clear in asking what I was looking for...So here goes..

Since we live near Seattle , we had decided that we are going to cruise Alaska and since I have a 2 year old son , and this being our first cruise , we opted for freestyle cruising with norwegian... The Star also worked out a bit cheaper compared to Pearl..though..I understand that the Pearl is the better and newer ship...Is this really true?

I did do some research on the shore excursions and so far..I have come up with this list..

Ketchikan : Misty Fjords & Wilderness Explorer

Juneau : Mendenhall Glacier

Skagway : White pass scenic railway on Yukon

The Star goes to Tracy arm, but from what I've read in the cc boards , in may most of the time the ship cannot enter here and it goes to Endicott glacier...So does this mean that I will definitely see glaciers even in May on the Star or is there a chance that I will not see glaciers at all..Also you recommend taking the jetboat glacier excursion to Tracy Arm which I believe you can take just before your ship leaves Juneau and you meet up the ship once again in Tracy Arm but even here..let us say that the Star cannot enter Tracy arm and redirects to Endicott glacier , will the jetboat also do the same..

I guess the Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau can be toured on our own..So that leaves out only the Misty Fjords and White pass scenic rail..Does anyone know good independent operators for both of these tours??

There is no guarantee your ship will go to Endicott, and correct, you will not see any glaciers if your cruiseship sails Tracy Arm. IF glaciers are a priority then take the shuttle bus in Juneau to Mendenhall. You need to take a hard look at your tour options, no flames please but a toddler has the shortest attention span is at a very unpredictable age. Reason for this, I recommend shorter tour options and tours with an easy way out. The Tracy Arm jet boat via NCL is excellent, but in your timeframe, that may not make it all the way in either. Also the extended time on a small boat, needs consideration with a toddler. Same with your Ketchikan boat tour, White Pass RR?? All of these are costly and extended hours and no way out. You will be paying for 3 admissions, so consider your tours carefully.

There is not much advantage to taking the White Pass RR independent, about $10 price difference. And you would have to board the train in town, rather than direct from the ship. You likely are limited to the ship tour to Misty Fjord as well due to the short port time. My opinion only, Misty Fjords is far better seen via air.

The Pearl is a far superior itinerary in your timeframe, and definately, yes it is a newer ship with more offerings. I have sailed both, the Star is excellent for deck viewing.

I don't know if anyone else has seen it but the prices for NCL inside cabin on both the Star and Pearl for cruises departing the month of May to alaska have been slashed today . I made the booking via NCL website this Monday for inside cabin ($599 per person) for the NCL Star starting on May 16th and today for the same date it was only ($519)..So I called up NCL and initially the agent who answered the phone told me that he is still seeing the same rates but when I then mentioned to him that I am looking at his website as we speak..he did go in again and voila!! the rates were down..So if I had booked for the same date..I would have saved..$160 and I noticed that even if I booked for the ship starting on May 30th , the price had gone down by $100 from what I had booked. earlier...So I booked it for May 30th now..just to see if going 2 weeks later..changes my luck with the weather or increases my chances of not getting shut out from Tracy arm..

May 30th is still very unlikely that you will make it into Tracy Arm.

Actually the jet boat tour, has a very good chance of making it to the Sawyers early June, but definately not the cruiseship. I am on this sailing as well.

BudgetQueen ..I am still confused....I was under the impression that if the Jetboat makes it into Tracy arm..then so should the cruise ship..but probably the only difference is that..the Jetboat takes you very near and upclose..whereas not so close in the case of the cruiseship..Is my understanding correct?

When I read the reviews on the cc board of people who traveled in May this year in the Star to Alaska..I read that some of them were able to make it into Tracy arm..Worst case they all made it into Tracy arm or the Endicott arm..As for the jetboat tour , the NCL website says that "In the event that unpredictable and ever-changing ice conditions preclude the vessel from entering the upper reaches of Tracy Arm fjord, the tour will be modified to explore Endicott Arm " and I did read some reviews on the cc thread which says that their jetboar was rerouted into Endicott due to Tracy Arm being iced out..

Does anyone know any of any sailing in the Star to Alaska , which did not go either to Tracy Arm or Endicott ? The Jetboat tour is supposed to return you back to the cruise ship which is waiting for you either in Tracy Arm or Endicott..and hence I assume that their path is determined by where the cruise ship ends up going right? So is it fair to conclude that you will definitely see glaciers in either Tracy Arm or Endicott with the catch that you will get a better view if you book the Jetboat tour when you travel on the May 30th sailing out of Seattle in the Star?

I apologize for so many questions..and as you can see..I really am confused and would appreciate if someone can address my queries..I probably would have been better off booking the Pearl but for the same category..the pearl works out at least $350 more and I can definitely use this extra money on some other shore excursion

BudgetQueen ..I am still confused....I was under the impression that if the Jetboat makes it into Tracy arm..then so should the cruise ship..but probably the only difference is that..the Jetboat takes you very near and upclose..whereas not so close in the case of the cruiseship..Is my understanding correct?

When I read the reviews on the cc board of people who traveled in May this year in the Star to Alaska..I read that some of them were able to make it into Tracy arm..Worst case they all made it into Tracy arm or the Endicott arm..As for the jetboat tour , the NCL website says that "In the event that unpredictable and ever-changing ice conditions preclude the vessel from entering the upper reaches of Tracy Arm fjord, the tour will be modified to explore Endicott Arm " and I did read some reviews on the cc thread which says that their jetboar was rerouted into Endicott due to Tracy Arm being iced out..

Does anyone know any of any sailing in the Star to Alaska , which did not go either to Tracy Arm or Endicott ? The Jetboat tour is supposed to return you back to the cruise ship which is waiting for you either in Tracy Arm or Endicott..and hence I assume that their path is determined by where the cruise ship ends up going right? So is it fair to conclude that you will definitely see glaciers in either Tracy Arm or Endicott with the catch that you will get a better view if you book the Jetboat tour when you travel on the May 30th sailing out of Seattle in the Star?

I apologize for so many questions..and as you can see..I really am confused and would appreciate if someone can address my queries..I probably would have been better off booking the Pearl but for the same category..the pearl works out at least $350 more and I can definitely use this extra money on some other shore excursion

No, it's all about distance, has nothing to do with the "close" except in the views of the twin Sawyer Glaciers at the end. The transit is narrow for everybody. The views are way better via the jetboat and they stop along the way. Tracy Arm is a 30 mile dead end. I am ONLY referring to a ship sailing Tracy Arm, since there is NO way to predict if they don't. Endicott is totally different, less dramatic scenery and so so glacier on the glacier scales. Again, by FAR, Glacier Bay is a way better choice in your timeframe. I don't know what is important to you?? But I alway recommend people budget for and get the NCL jet boat tour with sailing Tracy Arm, necessary in my opinion. With that in mind, the price difference isn't that different??

If you do end up going thru Tracy Arm ... there is one big glacier on your way out from the fjord .. it reminded me of Mendenhall. As for seeing Mendalhall ... there are numerous stands at the port that offers varies tours, so you will have many options ... at juneau i do recommend the salmon bake especially if you enjoy salmon and ribs + there is a beautiful waterfall a short (2 min) walk away. if you dont make it to see the glaciers at Mendenhall ... there is an independent tour company in skagway that costs $40 for a 4 hr excursion up to the yukon i believe and you can see glaciers there as well. (be sure to use the restroom beforehand) and you will also pass the Welcome to Alaska sign and stop for photos. =] ron our guide was great and always willing to help take pictures. i cannot remember the name of the street but it was next to the Bonzana bar and grill ... about 5 min walk from the dock.

If you do end up going thru Tracy Arm ... there is one big glacier on your way out from the fjord .. it reminded me of Mendenhall. As for seeing Mendalhall ... there are numerous stands at the port that offers varies tours, so you will have many options ... at juneau i do recommend the salmon bake especially if you enjoy salmon and ribs + there is a beautiful waterfall a short (2 min) walk away. if you dont make it to see the glaciers at Mendenhall ... there is an independent tour company in skagway that costs $40 for a 4 hr excursion up to the yukon i believe and you can see glaciers there as well. (be sure to use the restroom beforehand) and you will also pass the Welcome to Alaska sign and stop for photos. =] ron our guide was great and always willing to help take pictures. i cannot remember the name of the street but it was next to the Bonzana bar and grill ... about 5 min walk from the dock.

Jenphan ,thanks for the advise ..do u happen to know the name of the independent tour company in skagway which runs the tour up to yukon...I am planning to take the whitepass rail road in skagway but if that doesn't work out from some reason , I would like consider this tour which you have mentioned as a backup . Can u let me know the name of independent tour company..?

Jenphan ,thanks for the advise ..do u happen to know the name of the independent tour company in skagway which runs the tour up to yukon...I am planning to take the whitepass rail road in skagway but if that doesn't work out from some reason , I would like consider this tour which you have mentioned as a backup . Can u let me know the name of independent tour company..?

Dyea Dave and Chilkoot Charters are two tour operators, which get very good reviews. listings http://www.skagway.com

• 2 weeks later...

i actually do not recall the name of the tour company. however, i was able to find my skagway map from princess and i did yelp the restaurant [bonzana Bar & Grill] that the tour company is next to which is on 3rd Ave & Spring St. I hope this helps. Its a very small company with only one bus, i believe, and they offered 50% off on the excursion.

The name of the tour outlet is One Stop Tour Outlet.... It is one of many "tour outlets" along this street which puts the lie to all of the ballyho and blather which you are going to encounter re. availability of land tours once you leave the ship!

It's QUALITY tours that aren't usually available as you walk off the ship.

Archived