First time on a cruise !!!!!

inaina

Well folks,I need suggestions and advise! I just bought a 7 day cruise Jan 3rd/09 on the Carnival Liberty ( Cozumel, Cayman , Ocho Rios)

1- The expense account, they have my credit card # so they will charge tips and what else?

2- drinks , we don't drink ,maybe a juice ,soda water..... so can we buy only one drink voucher? and share between my hubby and I?

3- Is lobster free?

About excursions:

Cayman where is the best value for the money? I love water and snorkeling ..... Stingray City? how many hours is the tour? is the equipment included in the price? Is fine to book on the ship or should I do it now?

Cozumel, been there know all ,can I stay on the ship? or I must get out?

Ocho Rios, where should I go ?

thank you;)

Well folks,I need suggestions and advise! I just bought a 7 day cruise Jan 3rd/09 on the Carnival Liberty ( Cozumel, Cayman , Ocho Rios)

1- The expense account, they have my credit card # so they will charge tips and what else?

2- drinks , we don't drink ,maybe a juice ,soda water..... so can we buy only one drink voucher? and share between my hubby and I?

3- Is lobster free?

About excursions:

Cayman where is the best value for the money? I love water and snorkeling ..... Stingray City? how many hours is the tour? is the equipment included in the price? Is fine to book on the ship or should I do it now?

thank you;)

1. They will charge the Tips and anything else you buy onboard.

2. Yes, you can buy the Drinks Coupon on the Carnival Site, its like 21.25 and you get 4 drink coupons.

3. Lobster is Free and is served on the first Elegant night.

4. The Island Tour with Sting Ray city tour is like 6 hours. We usually book with Carnival.

5. As far as Jamaica, I would stay onboard.

The Drink coupon link is here: http://www.carnival.com/BonVoyage/AddToCart.aspx?cat=Specialty+Items&pid=BAR

Caymans Island and Sting Ray tour is listed at 4.5 hours here but its goes over: http://www.carnival.com/ShoreExcursionDetails.aspx?region=CW&portcode=CAY&excursionname=Discover+Cayman+-+Stingrays,+Hell+%26+Turtle+Farm&excursioncode=417016

Fred

2-drinks , we don't drink ,maybe a juice ,soda water..... so can we buy only one drink voucher? and share between my hubby and I?

3- Is lobster free?

About excursions:

thank you;)

Welcome to cruising and to Cruise Critic - you will shortly be hooked on both!

I can't help you with the ports except to say that you certainly can stay on board while a ship is in port. It's tons of fun because you will have the whole ship mostly to yourself (no chair hogs!)!!:rolleyes:

Not sure about the soda card but all food is included in the cost of your cruise. This excludes the supper clubs, which are extra.

Again, welcome - you will get lots of expert advice here!

1. When you check in the morning of your cruise they will ask for either cash or a credit card. You can use the same card you used to pay for your cruise or a different one. Whatever you give them then will be tied to the "Sign & Sail" card they will issue you at the time of boarding. That card is your ID, your room key, and your charge card for onboard purchases. Anything on your onboard account at the end of the cruise will be charged to the credit card it is tied to. Auto-tips will be on there, any excursions you book onboard, any drinks, photos or souvenirs you've purchased onboard.

2. You can buy soda tickets and anyone can use them. If you're thinking about the soda card, which gives you unlimited sodas you're not entitled to share that.

3. When lobster is on the menu at dinner it is free. It's usually only on the menu once on a 7-day cruise, most likely the first elegent night. They are tails and are small - the solution is to order 2, it's done all the time and your waiter won't bat an eye.

Excursions - Stingray City is the signature excursion on Grand Cayman, I'm not sure about the length of time. You should probably book ahead if you're going to do that one because all the slots may be filled if you wait until you're onboard. If you do book ahead, you will be charged at the time of booking. The excursion tickets will be delivered to your cabin, usually the first night of the cruise.

Yes you can stay on the ship in any port, or get on and off as you please.

Can't help with Ocho Rios, never been there.

Excursions - Stingray City is the signature excursion on Grand Cayman, I'm not sure about the length of time. You should probably book ahead if you're going to do that one because all the slots may be filled if you wait until you're onboard. If you do book ahead, you will be charged at the time of booking. The excursion tickets will be delivered to your cabin, usually the first night of the cruise.

If, for some reason, the ship is unable to port, the excursion is refundable.

I thought Captain Marvins which also does stingray city was the best for the money. Its a private excursion, google his name and cayman islands. Lunch isnt included, but the price is right. $35 for just one snorkeling or $39.95 for two places. You go out on a boat to the sand bar.

Hi everyone, I'm still beating the drum for Nativeway tours on the stingrays, they have an awesome tour of snorkle, stingrays and lunch (included in the price) at RumPoint beach (the mahi sandwich with mango mayo is heaven, the rum runners expensive but extremely wonderful and POTENT, food free, alcoholic beverages are not) this was about 50 bucks each, a very good excursion, we went both times we were in GC.

www.nativeway.com Chris is awesome and knows his island well, also they may have only your party or many others, but the boat is very nice and they will rearrange snorkle / stingray time to make it least crowded at the stingray reef to give best experience. They rocked.

Soda, as I was told by a wonderfully experienced cruiser on this site, they do have soda machines on board!!! But you have to look for them (or ask your steward) My hubby gets soda card because he can drink 3 or 4 cokes a day, I drink maybe 2 gingerales or cokes during the whole cruise, so it wouldn't make sense to me to buy one, however DODs :D wish there was an endless card for those.

We always just go to a beach in Coz.

Happy sailing, Carole

Hi everyone, I'm still beating the drum for Nativeway tours on the stingrays, they have an awesome tour of snorkle, stingrays and lunch (included in the price) at RumPoint beach (the mahi sandwich with mango mayo is heaven, the rum runners expensive but extremely wonderful and POTENT, food free, alcoholic beverages are not) this was about 50 bucks each, a very good excursion, we went both times we were in GC.

www.nativeway.com Chris is awesome and knows his island well, also they may have only your party or many others, but the boat is very nice and they will rearrange snorkle / stingray time to make it least crowded at the stingray reef to give best experience. They rocked.

Soda, as I was told by a wonderfully experienced cruiser on this site, they do have soda machines on board!!! But you have to look for them (or ask your steward) My hubby gets soda card because he can drink 3 or 4 cokes a day, I drink maybe 2 gingerales or cokes during the whole cruise, so it wouldn't make sense to me to buy one, however DODs :D wish there was an endless card for those.

We always just go to a beach in Coz.

Happy sailing, Carole

This link to Nativeway goes to a home builder. Here is the correct link:

http://www.nativewaywatersports.com/index.html

I can also vouch for Nativeway, although it's been a few years, they were great!! Had a very good time and MUCH smaller group than the cruise line excursion. (RCCL at the time)

To the OP, you can get wonderful info on the ports in the "ports boards" section of the forum.

Have fun on your first cruise!!!

So.... Its a better deal if I book my excursion from these private operates instead of buying from Carnival? Should I reserve it Now ?

My cruise is Jan 3 rd /09

By the way how can I insert one of these count down clooks ,in my posts?

cozumel was real nice when i went that was before the huirricane but i enjoyed the park we swam with the dolphins which cost but is a great tour. you can stick around and snorkel and explore the park after that so its a good deal like two excursions for one.

grand cayman is ok to walk around in seems fairly safe to us. the stingray swim was great our first trip there. on our secong trip there the aqua boats and snorkel was outstanding, you drive your own small boat to the snorkel location with the rest of your group and they really fly threw the water we were airborne a couple of times my wife was scared til i let her drive then she loved it.

ocho rios you have to go to dunns river falls and climb up them its really cool we did the dolphin petting and dunns river climb, you get great pictures there but i would go straight from the booked excursion to the ship, unless you want to buy some drugs which will be offered to you several times in the shops.

save some cash for the spa nothing like a great couples massage

and have fun

We haven't been to Grand Cayman yet, we are booked for April 2009 on the Carnival Triumph. I have learned from these boards about a place within walking distance, and free to go snorkeling if you want. The name is Sunsethouse Dive Resort ( google for more info ) I researched everything about this place and even emailed the dive manager named Mike to ask if we could use this facility in our wet bathing suits for lunch at the restaurant, and cold drinks in the bar ( called My Bar ) which also is a favorite amoungst the locals. Mike not only said " yes '' but wants to have a cold one with us..This area has a rock shore and NO sand beaches, however sunsethouse has built a man made pool in these rocks with stairs going down into the shallow water, and an opening to deeper water and great snorkeling. We plan to snorkel a while and then enjoy the facilities ( pool included ) and then snorkel again. Can't wait! Enjoy your first cruise, and don't worry about anything or you'll be waisting time..Cruises are designed to be worry free..You can get a printout from the purser of your spending anytime you want one, and you'll be surprised at how little it will be..Have fun!!

Well folks,I need suggestions and advise! I just bought a 7 day cruise Jan 3rd/09 on the Carnival Liberty ( Cozumel, Cayman ,Ocho Rios) We did this exact cruise back in July.

1- The expense account, they have my credit card # so they will charge tips and what else? Whatever you buy on the ship, be it souvenirs or alcoholic drinks. Cash is not used; all purchases are on your Sail and Sign card.

2- drinks, we don't drink, maybe a juice, soda water..... so can we buy only one drink voucher? and share between my hubby and I? Juice is free in the dining rooms and in the buffets. If you mean coupons, then yes. If you mean a soda card, you will get a lot of answers, but, technically, you are not supposed to share the soda card.

3- Is lobster free? Sure is. You can order more than one, if you would like. In fact, you can order as many different meals as you want.

About excursions:

Cayman where is the best value for the money? I love water and snorkeling ..... Stingray City? how many hours is the tour? is the equipment included in the price? Is fine to book on the ship or should I do it now? We book our own excursions through private companies, so I cannot answer this. Stingray City is awesome, though. Seven Mile Beach is beyond beautiful.

Cozumel, been there know all, can I stay on the ship? or I must get out? You can definitely stay on the ship.

Ocho Rios, where should I go? Dunn's River Falls is the biggest attraction in Ocho Rios. It is a must do for a first-timer. We have been to Ocho Rios twice and climbed the falls twice. Great fun and quite an experience.

thank you;) You are welcome. Hope this helps.

A bit of trivia...did you know that Seven Mile Beach is now only five and half miles after all the storms? Strange but true.

You picked a great ship/itinerary. We're right behind you to GC and Ocho on the Destiny. Can't go wrong with Stingray City in GC, course, can't go wrong with 7 mile beach either if yah like the water. We plan on parasailing in GC, and zip lining (canopy tour) in Jamaica. Leave me some Tortuga Rumcake In GC, that stuffs addictive.

• 1 month later...

Sting Ray Sand Bar is certainly the most popular choice on Grand Cayman. I like to book the Buccaneer Catamaran. It's not through the cruise ship, but it's just a short walk from the dock and only $39/pp. They take only 25-30 people, so you're not packed like sardines, fighting for an opportunity to touch the rays. They also do two snorkeling stops, one at the barrier reef. Amazingly beautiful - my favorite part of the excursion! Seven-mile beach, while not really seven miles long, is also a great place. On my first visit to GC, weather canceled our sting ray excursion and we opted to just hang out at the beach and had a great time.

There are SO MANY choices in Cozumel, I wouldn't know what to advise you to choose. I can tell you that the cabs are regulated and cannot charge you more than what is posted on their signs. That's nice. Makes it easy to get around.

Regarding drinks - non-cabonated beverages such as iced tea and lemonade are FREE if you get them yourself from the drink dispensers. No fee, no tip. If you can live with those options, you can avoid the soda costs.

Archived