Castle tours in Dover

CanWeGoYet?

We will be debarking in Dover, and plan on a one night hotel stay there before moving on to London for a couple of days. I want to tour a castle, am thinking of Dover Castle and hopefully Walmer Castle / Lord Warden's for tea.

If we get an early start, does this seem like a reasonable goal for the day?

I was planning on just getting a taxi from our hotel to get to the castles, from the webpage it looks like there is a tour of Dover Castle that comes with price of admission. Or is it better to try to buy a tour from a tour agency - I want to see as much as possible but if we can do it without booking an expensive tour, so much the better.

I havent been in Walmer Castle and its years since I last visited Dover Castle but looking at the map, Walmer is in easy reach of Dover, just outside Deal.

Theres a lot of information on the web about both of these castles and I would refer you to these sites where I'm sure most of your questions can be answered.

www.dover-castle-friends.org/fodc/Home.htm

and

www.castlexplorer.co.uk/england/walmer/walmer.php

Whether you can do both castles in one day is another thing. Theres a lot to see at Dover Castle and you could be a bit pushed for time. Good luck,

Jimmy

Thanks so much for the links, Jimmy. Those are better than what I've been able to find on my own.

We are staying at a hotel about 8 miles from Dover Castle. Does it sound like taking a taxi to get to Dover and Walmer Castles is the best plan?

Sorry, I cant really help you with regard to transport in that area. A taxi would be fine but, I would price it out first before committing yourselves. As Dover is a major port there will be plenty of car hire in the town so you could do your own thing. If you look at the map regarding Walmer it shows a main road connecting Dover and Deal. (A258) This, once clear of Dover will not be a busy road. ( I think)

Failing that, the hotel, I'm sure will be able to arrange transport but I have no idea what a taxi for the day would cost.

Jimmy

• 3 weeks later...

Very easy to do both Dover and Walmer castles in a day, but check out the opening times first. No need to book on organised tours - just do your own thing. At Dover Castle, a priority should be to see the Wartime Tunnels - essential to book in advance. Taxis are easy to come by in Dover town centre, or you could take the train from Dover Priory Station (five minutes walk from town centre) to Walmer (15 minutes walk from the station to Walmer Castle). You mention your hotel is eight miles from Dover - if you let me know which one, I could provide more advice which might be helpful.

Thanks so much for your help. We are staying at the Premier Inn Dover West. So much to see in the area, I wish we were able to stay longer.

I had thought the same thing about the wartime tunnels. We are debarking the cruise a day early to stay in england. The town will be overrun with other cruise tourists, but they will have less time in port. Is admission to the castle good for the whole day? In case we are given a tunnel tour time that is later in the day, perhaps we could leave to see Walmer Castle and then return for the tunnels.

Premier Inn Dover West is on the (old) main road into Dover - just three miles from town. There is a regular bus service right outside (three buses an hour) and this will take you into Dover town centre. Dover Castle is clearly visible and a 20 minute walk - but uphill! Navigating both Dover and Walmer castles is straightforward. Dover Castle is significantly larger but easy to find your way around. Just make the Wartime Tunnels your priority. I've checked the Dover Castle website and it would appear that advance booking is not possible (unlike when I showed some American friends around there a couple of years back) - it's first come, first served, so obviously best to arrive early. I think if you get there when the castle opens you will easily get on one of the early tours for the tunnels. I expect you've viewed the castle's website, but if not you can check out the details at:

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/server/show/nav.14578

Walmer Castle details available at:

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/server.php?show=nav.14948

Hope this helps. If you have any more questions please let me know - very happy to help if I can.

What date will you be in Dover and which ship will you be on?

• 1 month later...

When I was in Dover last year, I booked my time for the tunnels when we paid admission, it makes it easier, do not book the last tour of the day as the train stops before the tour is over and it was a looong walk back to the parking lot!!!

• 3 weeks later...

We will be in Dover for 2 days on NCL Jewel. I tried to book a tunnel tour on english heriitage site but no luck. Any suggestion? ( we are combining a transatlantic and a Baltic tour) Are there other suggestions for things to do? Thank you.

I had heard you need to book the tunnel tour in person, as you are buying tickets - the tunnels are on a "first come, first served" basis.

There is a contact email if you want to ask them directly customers@english-heritage.org.uk , or maybe someone with more expertise will post a reply.

For other ideas; I am planning to see Walmer castle on the same day, and have the afternoon tea at Lord Wardens. Leeds Castle is supposed to be beautiful and the grounds more showy, wish I could see it all but only in Dover for a day.

Archived