Best use of a four day pre-cruise stay?

Richjoxyz

We'll be in San Juan for four days pre-cruise (Dec 25th –Dec 29th). We like clear water beaches and snorkeling. Should we stay in San Juan and take day trips, or should we stay in another area of Puerto Rico?

Any other ideas to spend the four days?

The best beaches and snorkeling at that time of year would be on Vieques or Culebra. If that is your main vacation desire and anything less won't do, dont bother with SJ.

If snorkeling and beaches are something you really are into, but have other interests- adventure, hiking, biking, sailing, history etc.. Than you can stay in SJ or maybe Fajardo or Luquillo or Rio Grande and take day trips. There is no great snorkeling around SJ, but the out islands off of Fajardo are very good.

Have you checked our PR vacation idea site? http://www.PuertoRicoDayTrips.com

We live in Rio Grande and take day trips to all sorts of places and do all sorts of things all around the island. It should give you some ideas of things to do!

Rincon is a great beach place also, but it is rough now.... big surfing in the winter there. Snorkeling is more difficult in the winter, great in the summer!

We want to enjoy the culture of Old San Juan, and find great beaches. I am torn between renting a condo in Isla Verde or Condado, or try something new, like stay in Fajarda. How would I get to Fajarda if I find a condo in that area? Is there anything to do there?

I went to the El Conquistador website and they have a video of a flyover of an island nearby. It looks perfect. I want to go there but don't k now how to arrange it.

Well something like that might be a good solution for you.

El Con has a private island for their beach (it is beautiful). Only guests can go there. They have a water taxi that runs from the hotel to the island. There are a number of other small islands local boat captains can take you to if you don't want to spend the $$$$ to stay at El Con.

I would highly suggest you rent a car to get there (though they do offer a shuttle for a fee). The restaurants at the resort are very expensive, and you can eat more authentic food and do many day trips if you have your own car. Also day trips will be WAY less expensive if you can get there on your own than if you do tours through the hotel.

In PR, we have all the same driving rules as the US. And the drive between SJ and Fajardo is pretty straight forward....

Here is an idea- You could spend 3 nights pre cruise at El Con, and enjoy their beach, Day trip to other little islands nearby, do the BioBay, the rainforest, maybe Monkey Island.....

Then the last night pre cruise, stay in or close to OSJ and visit that on the last day and before your ship leaves.

That would give you a pretty good preview of the NE coast if PR.

Fajardo is the jumping off point to out-islands, there is a BioBay, they have a nature reserve and beaches. They are close to the rain forest, lots of good restaurants. About 1.25 hr away from SJ.

Archived