April 2009 Cruise Recommendations

azldw

Background - my husband and I were married on October 27 and he left for Afghanistan on November 7. (http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/mailstory-clickthru/266182.php) He will get two weeks vacation in April/May and I want to take a honeymoon-like cruise preferably somewhere warm. He will flying out of Kuwait, and I will fly in to our departure port from AZ. Any recommendations for a 7-10 day cruise are much appreciated.

Background - my husband and I were married on October 27 and he left for Afghanistan on November 7. (http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/mailstory-clickthru/266182.php) He will get two weeks vacation in April/May and I want to take a honeymoon-like cruise preferably somewhere warm. He will flying out of Kuwait, and I will fly in to our departure port from AZ. Any recommendations for a 7-10 day cruise are much appreciated.

Judging by the tags on your post, I believe you are most interested in cruising the Med. But have you considered a Transatlantic? You could start out in Miami or San Juan, then sail across the pond. These typically have better fares, and you'll have lots of time to spend together.

On Royal Caribbean you'll pay less than $100 pp per day on a TA for a balcony, and if you wait a bit to book I wouldn't be at all suprised to see airfares included in some of these bookings. That won't help your DH who is coming from Afphganistan, but it may help you from the States.

Congrats on your marriage, and thanks to your DH for his service!!!!

I think the Mediterranean is a good meeting place, and an Eastern Med. cruise might offer several opportunities for beach time. I gather your husband will not be coming back to the US, but you will spend all your time on the cruise? One question I need to pose...Does your husband have a passport? It has been a loonng time since I was stationed overseas with the military, but at that time, active duty were not required to have a passport, and could travel around Europe (NATO countries) on a border pass. If you are to cruise anywhere outside North America (including the Caribbean) he will need a passport, and if he does not have one, it might not be easy to get one in Afghanistan. EM

Hello,

There are some excellent military rates on RCL cruises in the Mediterrean during April and May of 2009. I suggest that you look at RCL because the ships are very nice overall and seem to attract more younger people than Celebrity or HAL. I have been on 26 cruises on all the majors except for NCL, and if I were a younger person RCL would be my first choice. Further, a Mediterrean cruise has just about everything...romance, beaches, culture, history....

In particular look at the Jewel of the Seas cruise from London and the Brillance of the Seas cruises that go round trip from Barcelona (a truly wonderful city).

Remember to give both you and your DH plenty of time to get to the ship...meet in Barcelona two days or so before the cruise.

Hope that this helps,

Fred

Archived