One benefit to cruising w/ 6 month old

Kim4

DH and I went with our 6 month old on the Sovereign of the Seas a year and a half ago. We stayed in an inside cabin. Yes, it was tricky, but one HUGE benefit is that she slept through the night for the first time ever! I got a full night's sleep on that cruise! I don't know if it was the pitch blackness, the hum of the motors, or what, but she did it, and kept doing it when we got home!

Just thought y'all would like to know :)

We took our son on a cruise when he was 3 months old, and he started sleeping for 7 hour stretches, where he had been waking up every 3 hours beforehand. I really do think it's the constant rocking and hum. Of course, almost every cruise line has raised the minimum age, so with the next baby we'll have to wait a bit longer- but I wonder if I can somehow create a cruise simulator to encourage sleeping through the night.

It's the rocking of the ship. Even I sleep better and fall asleep faster on a ship. :D

I had planned that if she went back to waking up in the middle of the night, I was going to rig her crib to be able to sway someway and put her in our walkin closet (which is pitch black) :) If I could have bought the cruise ship itself for our own private use, I would have!!

I think its the rocking and just the sheer exhaustion of all the new sights and sounds. DD went on her first cruise at 7 months and she was hit or miss sleeping through the night beforehand. On the cruise I think she only woke once in the night, one night only and quickly went back to sleep. Im glad to hear it triggered some of your babies to sleep through even at home. We are due with #2 in a few weeks and I am so looking forawrd to cruising again this next summer.

Julie

• 2 months later...
Oh I hope this is the case! DS is 9 months old and still not sleeping through the night!

I thought I was alone. My 7 month old is still not sleeping through the night. He will be 1 when we cruise so hopefully he has sleeping through the night down pat by then.

Archived