QM2/Crown

hampshire

We have cruised 5 times on QM2 - this will be our 1st on Princess. Sailing on Crown in the New Year. We enjoy a quiet ship - good food - bridge the spa and reading. I have read a few negative comments regarding the food on the Crown - anyone care to share their opinions. Our table mates on our last QM2 cruise in September praised Princess - the reason we are saliing with them next.

Haven't been on the Crown Princess, but have sailed Princess many times. We think Princess has some of the best itineraries around.

Opinions of food are so very subjective - that said, we usually find Princess food to be good/very good.

A lot can depend on the particular Chef aboard ship - and that can be hit or miss. Some are better than others.

I cruised with some friends on the Crown in 2006. They had cruised on QM2 the year before, I have never cruised on the QM2. My friends were of the opinion that they had a nicer cruise on the Crown overall. As is always stated on these posts, quality of food is very subjective, and different folks have different "tastes" when it comes to food. My friends told me they thought the food on the Crown was better. I personally did find the food choices and quality excellent. We had Anytime dinning and found a waiter who was fabulous, Atilla. We requested to sit at his table for the rest of the cruise and he was very attentive and accomodating. While it is a large ship, I found many quiet deck areas on the Crown, away from the crowded pool areas, where you can find a deck chair and read, nap or just look out at the ocean. The Sanctuary was another great place - adults only. At the time of our cruise, I paid $15 for half day, and it was very much worth it. Luxury chaises and attentive staff at the ready with ice lemon water, cool towels and happy to move your chaise in any direction you wish it to be. Some areas are in the sun, but many are shaded, really very nice. We also enjoyed the International Caffe and all the"goodies" offered there, many at no additional cost.

Hope you enjoy your cruise. It will be interesting to hear your comparison of the 2 ships when you get back. Hope you'll let us know.

Smooth sailing,

Sue

We have sailed on the QM2, QE2 and on our last cruise on the Sapphire Princess. Like you, we were a little apprehensive of moving from Cunard to Princess. However, as we soon discovered the Princess experience was just as good or better in some respect than the QM2. My wife and I both agreed that the food on the Sapphire Princess was better than that of the QM2. I kept looking for things that I could find fault with on Princess but I found few. We enjoyed the Princess experience so much that we have booked another Princess cruise in 2009. I don't think that you will be disappointed in your cruise choice.

If you were in the Brittania dining room the princess food is better. My main gripe with the QM2 was the terrible dining experience with Cunard, undertrained and rushed staff, items left off the plate and generally poor quality food. Yopu should enjoy Princess.

Hi..I think you will like the Crown Very much. It's a beautiful ship and easy to get around. You will enjoy the areas you mentioned. The food was very good. We ate one night at the specialty restaurant Sabatinis which was excellent (just go hungry if you decide to dine there!). the buffet food was very good as well. They even had some outstanding pizza by the pool area.

Enjoy!

Michelle:)

I was on the Crown Nov 2-9th and consider myself a foodie. I thought the food was very good. We had diner at the Crown Grill one night and it was excellent. I was not as crazy about Sabatini's, but I think our server rushed us for some reason. Of course, the buffet food was not that great, but that is just the foodie in me that doesn't like buffets. All of the food in the dining rooms were great with the exception of the Filet Tournados and the NY Strip that they have available all of the time. I would recommend eating whatever they are featuring that evening. The prime rib was excellent. I really enjoyed the pastries and lunch at the International Cafe.

I hope you have a fabulous cruise.

Archived