questions from a maybe-wanna-be scuba diver

momK

My husband loves diving, and has been trying to get me to take it up. I have been VERY reluctant to try, having more than a bit of fear. We will be cruising in the Caribbean in January for 14 days on Princess -- lots of ports. We'll be celebrating each of our 50th birthdays, and would like to surprise him by trying it out on his birthday (We'll be in St. Thomas that day.) I'd like to try it out in a safe situation, maybe here at home before we leave. Is there any benefit to taking "discover scuba" excursions in several ports, or is it something that you do once, and then decide to move forward w/lessons or drop the idea?

Thanks.

At age 51, I am taking scuba lessons and I'm not the oldest person the class! Everybody in my family thinks I'm crazy but if I don't try it now, I may spend the rest of my life regretting it when I can no longer do it. I've been a snorkeler for the last 10 years, and when I say snorkeler, it means I always floated on top of the water with my face in. In 2007, I cruised in Tahiti and since then I have so regretted not having been able to scuba there. I tried the discover scuba in Grand Cayman this year and that convinced me to take lessons. I am now halfway through my classes and will get certified this summer. In the meantime, on my January 30th Grand cruise, I will try a couple of discover scuba excursions to get some more practice. My advice is, at least try the discover scuba with a good company in St. Thomas and if you enjoy it, like I did, sign up for lessons when you get home. I'm sure the divers on this thread will give you names of good dive companies. Good luck and let me know how it goes.

My husband loves diving, and has been trying to get me to take it up. I have been VERY reluctant to try, having more than a bit of fear. We will be cruising in the Caribbean in January for 14 days on Princess -- lots of ports. We'll be celebrating each of our 50th birthdays, and would like to surprise him by trying it out on his birthday (We'll be in St. Thomas that day.) I'd like to try it out in a safe situation, maybe here at home before we leave. Is there any benefit to taking "discover scuba" excursions in several ports, or is it something that you do once, and then decide to move forward w/lessons or drop the idea?

Thanks.

Hi,

I actually did discover scubas in the Caribbean for 5 years before being certified (never had a local dive buddy). They're great for getting wet and seeing what's under the water. If you want to try it first, look around for a local dive center. I know mine does free pool sessions once a month where you get to put on the gear, get some basic instruction and go into a warm swimming pool under guidance to check it out (all gear included, just bring a swimsuit). This is of course to encourage people to try out the sport, but it will give you a good approximation of what is done during a discover scuba. As far as doing it in several ports, the training is non-transferable and really doesn't count towards a certification so you'll have to repeat several hours of training at each port you go to. This could get tiring after a while or you may like it as you'll get more and more proficient at using the gear. Even if you can't find a local center to try scuba you should at least do it once while on your trip (assuming you feel comfortable). Diving's great and you'll really enjoy the fish and fauna you'll see on the reef. BTW, I'm 51 so don't let your age bother you. :)

Randall

Dot73, sounds like you'll be on the same cruise we're on, just later in Jan. (ours is 1/2 through 1/16). Thanks for your help. I don't have as much snorkeler experience as you do, but I have done just as you did --- floating on the top watching through my mask.

Thanks, scubaran, for your encouragement. Our local dive shop has free Try Scuba classes, and they can arrange for private classes to get me to the point of being ready for certification dives before we leave --- sounds like I should give it a try.

Your local shop "Try Scuba" sounds like a great place to start. If you enjoy that and feel comfortable consider going ahead with your certification before your cruise. If you can't work that in, then lots of posters on this board seem to like Coki Beach in St. Thomas. You could see if they offer a Discover Scuba course. I know they offer boat dives as well as shore dives. We are booked for both next month.

Thanks.

I have met a lot of people on cruises that are not SCUBA certified. They do the Discover SCUBA over and over again. It is a way that they can dive without getting certified.

When we were on the Grand Princess, they actually taught the SCUBA certification class on the ship. They do the classroom and pool sessions on the ship and the 4 cert dives in the ports. They did two cert dives in Grand Cayman and two in Cozumel. They price of the course was only about $30 more than the price of doing 4 dives in those locations.

Mark

MomK-

Come join us lady sharks!!! There is nothing to be afraid of out in or under the water, and I'm a biologist. Your worst enemy out there is the sun.

I think you will find that the consensus opinion on this board is to get certified before you go, if that is at all possible (and I share it). IMHO, the most important factor in selecting a shop/instructor is your comfort.

If that is not possible, then a Discover Dive is the next best thing.

You mentioned St. Thomas - some folks on this board have recommended Coki Beach, but I can't vouch for that as I have never been there personally. http://www.cokidive.com/

If you're on the Grand Princess, my recommendation would be to absolutely, positively go dive (or Discover Dive) with Suzy and Mark Pinnell at The Dive Bus in Curacao. They are great folks, and Pierbaai is an absolutely awesome reef. Just walk into the water, and there's the reef! Here's the link to their page about cruisers http://www.the-dive-bus.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=438&Itemid=216

Beware, though, because Suzy takes blackmail pictures and posts them on their website. Search for 'serial cruise shippers' and you will find some of me. The one on the February 08 newsletter is particularly funny.

I also put a link at the bottom to our next trip, so you can take a look at the blurb about the group we're taking with us to The Dive Bus, and see where else we're getting wet on the trip.

Be sure to come back and tell us all about it, and how you got hooked on diving!

Wendy

dive pix

http://community.webshots.com/user/wendyandkeith

next up

http://www.freewebs.com/grandprincess-02-27-09

Here's a couple of shots from Pierbaai reef

2947106630055701600S425x425Q85.jpg2127400380055701600S425x425Q85.jpg

My DH has always wanted to dive. He was certified in Feb 05. He begged me to learn.

I first snorkeled in 2000. I was fine on shore, but it took me 35 minutes to jump off a boat that was barely 1/4 mile offshore.

Although I loved snorkeling, I always felt very satisfied with just simply snorkeling. We had the opportunity to go to Fiji. So, naturally my DH really wanted me to learn to dive so, we could enjoy it together.

As a surprise I had arranged to get certified at our resort in Fiji. My instructor was excellent. I was not rushed or felt pressure to "get my skills" quickly. He was very thorough. So, by the time I went on my first dive, I felt comfortable.

I would reccomend a local dive shop that offers lessons and pool work before you go, so you can see how you feel with the equipment. Also, you can take your time practicing the various skills. This may even help you so that when you do a "Discover Scuba" course you will even be more comfortable.

Back to Fiji.

My DH had just come back from a dive when he looked over and saw me in my gear, he was "over the moon", he was sooo excited. He was my dive buddy for my first dive.

I loved it!!!!

Once I understood the mechanics of diving, my fears subsided. I am now completely hooked. I am the first to giant stride or back roll off the boat now.

As I tackled this fear, I have taken on many others. I have become so much braver in many areas of my life.

I had a huge fear of flyer. My fear of flyer has dramatically changed as well as my fear of heights. Scuba diving has changed my life.

I take safety very seriously and am very cautious but I now try things.

I just hiked the Grand Canyon. 10 years ago I was glued to the wall and could barley get myself to hike 200 ft.

I am planning doing the very challenging Zipline/ Ropes Excursion in St. Martin next month (another way to challenge myself and my fears).

BTW I was 42 when I was certified to dive and it is now a passion we both share and I am so grateful that my husband is my dive buddy.

I wish you the best.

Anne

I would definately recommend you get Certified before you go. The most important thing is to find a good dive shop and an instructor that you feel comfortable with. It makes it so much easier.

I have been diving for over 5 years and had an initial fear when I started classes. I would go into the pool and practice my skills until I was no longer afraid. It was the best thing I could've done.

Now I volunteer at the Aquarium and dive in many different tanks including the shark tank. It's awesome! Even my 12 year old has his Jr Open Water Certification!

Good luck and enjoy the beauty of all the creatures under the water. And cell phones don't work down there - BONUS!!!

Many people are recommending you get certified before you go. But there may not be enough time. If it will become rushed, don't.

If you can get the classroom work done, and some pool lessons, that'll be good. You can arrange to do check out dives while on your trip. Many dive ops will do that, just arrange with them ahead of time.

But if you don't get any time before the trip, still go for the Discovery scuba course. It's a good way to "get your feet wet", and try scuba in shallow water.

The Coki Beach Dive Club does a good job. I was there last year, to do 2-tank boat dive with the owner Peter. My BIL took the Discovery scuba and really liked it.

In this year's cruise trip, we had St. Thomas as a port again. We all went to Coki Beach again. I again went for 2-tank boat dive with Peter. This time my BIL, my wife, and two others, all joined in the Discovery scuba. They get .5-1 hr lesson about the gears, then get in shallow water to try things on, then get under water to 20+ feet. They all enjoyed.

I'm encouraging them to go further to get certified. But too bad in Toronto, there are not many dive shops. There's also no good diving nearby. Even during summer, to go diving in the lakes here one would wear 7mm outside and 7mm inside, with 30 lbs of weight, need to have advanced certification, and you get down maybe up to 60', get cold, won't see too many fish, will be dark, will be muddy, maybe see some sponges with flashlight... Hey, it'll be a lot better when you try scuba in Coki Beach.

I just got certified in April and absolutely love it, more than I thought possible. I would suggest doing the Discovery Scuba. If you get a chance to try out doing a pool session before that is great but I thought it was a lot harder in the pool than in the ocean. I would hate for you to try the pool and think that is what it is truly like, but you would learn about the equipment. Find some to dive with that takes their time with you and explains and you wil have an amazing time.

Archived