?(No) Trays in Lido

GeriatricNurse

OK, I've just returned from a 26 day cruise and don't have the time or energy to read through this thread. I was told on the Statendam that HAL plans to eliminate trays in the Lido on ALL ships because people like it. I asked the section head...who likes it Seattle?

Yes, but you didn't get the full impact of their noise while trying to sleep. Also, if by some chance you didn't hear them as they ran, you could still feel them. The bed would actually shake from their running in the hall. :eek: We could have 100s walking down our hall departing on a shore ex and we'd never know until we opened the cabin door. A few 'darlings' running down the hall and the cabin floor would shake and sound like thunder.

Then there was the one across from Adele who would lay on the floor with her head out in the hall SCREAMING. I know Adele wasn't thrilled being awakened at 5:30 am by that.

Years ago when we were kids - my Mother would look at the behavior of kids like that, then turn to my Sister and I and say:

"If you two acted like that you'd be dead by now"

It is not fair to those helping out their traveling companions that they have to go get all their food first and then go back and get their own-- it would take twice as long and it presents the person who is sitting down with a conundrum. Be polite and wait on the person who helped you get your food to come back with their own and eat? But then your food is all cold.

No need to make two trips. Just smile politely and signal a steward. "Can I get a hand to get this stuff to the table?" ... and he will be only too glad to help. And that is ... if you even need to ask. Generally those stewards are ready to grab your tray ... or in this case plates ... before you even get to the end of the serving line. That's the nice thing about HAL ships. You don't get that kind of service on many of the other lines.

Blue skies ...

--rita

TRAYS SEEN ON THE STATENDAM.

Two days in a row. Pipedreams, your source is bunk.

Hello from somewhere just south of Half Moon Cay. :D

Well..yeah...they are still on the Statendam now but won't be according to a white coat on the ship and they won't be in the future according to him.

No trays on the Westerdam last week.

Not a big problem but the real problem is lack of servers behind the line. Order your eggs, wait in line to get your bacon and sausage from the same server, wait in another line to get your toast from the same server...cold eggs. Then go and grab your tiny coffee cup.

The result of no trays and few servers is cold food. We are adults, so why not let us pick our food out of the serving trays like other lines? Then I'll only take what I think I can eat rather than standing in 6 lines to put my breakfast together? Now to the HAL cheerleaders who say "they are saving money because they are in business to make money" I say a vacation is not the place to economize if the customer is paying for the service.

If they want to save money by cutting service, then HAL will become nothing more than a ferry service just like an airline. Go figure, 1800 guests, two guys making sandwiches. On Half Moon Cay, 2 ships, 3600 passengers, two guys dispensing drinks. ....Signature service.:mad:

Don't even get me started on the fiasco they call "Anytime dining".

TRAYS SEEN ON THE STATENDAM.

Two days in a row. Pipedreams, your source is bunk.

Hello from somewhere just south of Half Moon Cay. :D

A white coat gave me bad info?

I wish I was there to see your face, when you got your hands on that tray.

I suppose you did numerous handsprings in the Lido

back_handspring.jpg

Thanks for the review,and have a great time.

I won't ask the typical inane questions some people ask

1. "Do They Serve Bacon In The Morning"?

2. "Is There A Guy Named John Still Working On There"?

3."Can You Measure The Cabin And Send Me The Measurements"?

I just had a GREAT idea!! No need to worry about standing in lines or whether there are trays or no trays or if a table will be free or if your eggs or toast will be cold or if someone will be available to carry your tray in the Lido...just order room service. :D Food is delivered promptly on a tray and carried to a conveniently placed table in your room. You can order as much as you want of almost anything! Ten glasses of juice and a large pot of coffee and 5 glasses of milk and 6 eggs benedict...no problem! And, there is no dress code...if fact, you can even dine in the buff if you so desire...although I don't suggest answering the door like that :eek:;):D. But, I'll bet my next cruise fund that's been done before. :)

Diane

No trays on the Westerdam last week.

Not a big problem but the real problem is lack of servers behind the line. Order your eggs, wait in line to get your bacon and sausage from the same server, wait in another line to get your toast from the same server...cold eggs. Then go and grab your tiny coffee cup.

The result of no trays and few servers is cold food. We are adults, so why not let us pick our food out of the serving trays like other lines? Then I'll only take what I think I can eat rather than standing in 6 lines to put my breakfast together? Now to the HAL cheerleaders who say "they are saving money because they are in business to make money" I say a vacation is not the place to economize if the customer is paying for the service.

If they want to save money by cutting service, then HAL will become nothing more than a ferry service just like an airline. Go figure, 1800 guests, two guys making sandwiches. On Half Moon Cay, 2 ships, 3600 passengers, two guys dispensing drinks. ....Signature service.:mad:

Don't even get me started on the fiasco they call "Anytime dining".

Woah:eek: I guess no more HAL and dam ships for you, no? Here's the real question though; Ready? Any rashes of theft from cabins on Westerdam last week, laptops OK?;)

Woah:eek: I guess no more HAL and dam ships for you, no? Here's the real question though; Ready? Any rashes of theft from cabins on Westerdam last week, laptops OK?;)

Judging from the average age of the cruisers we did see leaving their rooms, I don't think many know what a laptop is other than a tray to hold your dinner while watching TV. I heard a rumor they were going to add a large red cross in a white circle to the side of the ship.:rolleyes: Taking a line from Buick, "It's your grandfather's cruise ship".:p

I guess the answer is room service. Not uncommon to see breakfast door tags already out at 6:00 in the evening.

I just had a GREAT idea!! No need to worry about standing in lines or whether there are trays or no trays or if a table will be free or if your eggs or toast will be cold or if someone will be available to carry your tray in the Lido...just order room service. :D Food is delivered promptly on a tray and carried to a conveniently placed table in your room. You can order as much as you want of almost anything! Ten glasses of juice and a large pot of coffee and 5 glasses of milk and 6 eggs benedict...no problem! And, there is no dress code...if fact, you can even dine in the buff if you so desire...although I don't suggest answering the door like that :eek:;):D. But, I'll bet my next cruise fund that's been done before. :)

Diane

Oh sure! Now you are suggesting that 1800+ passengers all order Room Service every day to avoid the ?no tray issue in Lido! Brilliant idea!!!

Judging from the average age of the cruisers we did see leaving their rooms, I don't think many know what a laptop is other than a tray to hold your dinner while watching TV. I heard a rumor they were going to add a large red cross in a white circle to the side of the ship.:rolleyes: Taking a line from Buick, "It's your grandfather's cruise ship".:p

I guess the answer is room service. Not uncommon to see breakfast door tags already out at 6:00 in the evening.

So if 1800+ passengers now begin to order room service, how do you think that would affect service? Perhaps you might receive your breakfast in time for lunch!

I think that's making a big and insulting generalization that older people are a. not smart enough to use laptops and/or b. are so out of touch they don't even know what they are.

My Mom in her 80's has a laptop, cellphone, ipod touch as do my inlaws who are in their 80's as well and many of thier friends. In fact the reason my mother first wanted an ipod was because everyone in the retirement community she lives in was getting one (doesn't change much from highschool), they all already had laptops. I think you're a little out of touch, not the older generation.

Actually, our room service breakfast came late by 30 minutes. The deliverer apologized due to the "large number" of room service orders. And, oh no!!! I still tipped him.

BTW, I live in a +55 retirement community but still work full time, so I do understand the abilities of many older folks. Copper wanted a response out of me so he got one.;)

Actually, our room service breakfast came late by 30 minutes. The deliverer apologized due to the "large number" of room service orders. And, oh no!!! I still tipped him.

BTW, I live in a +55 retirement community but still work full time, so I do understand the abilities of many older folks. Copper wanted a response out of me so he got one.;)

And I do appreciate you taking the time for that response, CruzinCurt! And............you never know, lap tops might take the place of trays in the Lido when the latter are removed

Archived