First timer question part 2

maloy

Ok this is the second part of my questions. I'm not too sure if this should be in the port of call area or not so I'll give it a shot here. We will be tendered in Grand Cayman for a listed 8.5 hrs. Are the listed hours accurate? We were thinking about doing 2 different excursions there. One being the Pirate encounter which lists at 2hrs, and the StingRay city sandbar safari which lists as 2.5 hrs. Is this possible w/o being rushed? And do you think shopping is still possible b4 tender? TIA for all info.

Ok this is the second part of my questions. I'm not too sure if this should be in the port of call area or not so I'll give it a shot here. We will be tendered in Grand Cayman for a listed 8.5 hrs. Are the listed hours accurate? We were thinking about doing 2 different excursions there. One being the Pirate encounter which lists at 2hrs, and the StingRay city sandbar safari which lists as 2.5 hrs. Is this possible w/o being rushed? And do you think shopping is still possible b4 tender? TIA for all info.

What time does the first one end and the second one start? That would be your issue.

It depends on the times you book the tours.... I guess it is possible. We just returned from the Conquest and the water excursions were cancelled.

Whatever you do, remember that it is possible to miss a port altogether (we missed Jamacia), and they can cancel the tours. Keep a positive attitude about it either way and enjoy yourself!!! (I felt so sorry for the staff/crew this week...our weather was bad, and the passengers were not nice about missing ports and excursions)

You will be tendered into Grand Cayman. As for time for all you would like to do, I am not sure of. You will need to know the start times for each activity. We used to take the stingray city tour and then head to seven mile beach to hang out and snorkel and then do a little shopping before jumping on a tender and heading back to the ship.

Tripp

The shopping is not that good there anyway--so donnot feel you will miss anything..shooping is very close to where you tender in

due to narrow opening(rocks on both sides) getting into the dock you may not actually get into there at all--depending on sea conditions.we have been there 4 times and actually made it to the island 2 times..If rough seas and they cancel the port they return port charges and you have a day at sea

if the ship leaves at 4--the last tender generally leaves at 3;30--donnot cut it that close..Be in line 1 hour before ship is leaving.Chk the daily bulletin and signs at the tenders to see when the last tender leaves

Grand Cayman is a crap shoot in many ways. First the tendering in, we have made it there on every cruise scheduled to stop there, but it is the most skipped port. Second, as others have already said the starting times of your 2 excursions will be a major factor. Third, much also depends on how many ships are there on your day. There are days when the ships passengers actually outnumber the population of the island. Then traffic becomes a gridlocked nightmare. Lastly, forget shopping, their trinkets made in China cost way more than the made in China trinkets on other island or Mexico.

Do the Sting Ray City tour and play the rest as it comes.

Dan

Archived