Pearl Hunter back again

Millstone

Charlie, I want to thank you so much for you fabulous reply to my questions on the CC forum. It is terrific to have first hand knowledge of a place. Just a couple more questions for South Seas adventurers:

My friend has been on the Tahitian Princess and remembers an up close, in the water with the rays excursion from a previous sail, but I think the Princess one in Bora Bora is just a watch from the boat experience so we'll probably pass. Does anyone recall any ray swimming in the Islands?

We're in Bora Bora for a good chunk of time but I don't see anything appealing from the ship. Any ideas? We'll be on snorkel excursions in Huahine, Raiatea, and likely Moorea. We have our own gear and could just get a taxi to a beach, but there's always the danger of getting stranded. Has anyone just set off with a friendly cabbie?

On Rangiroa we actually dock at Avatora I believe and I heard about a fellow from "Rangiroa Activites" who has snorkel trips for about $50. But the email on his website doesn't work. I believe his tours can be arranged at the Kia Oro so will give that a shot. Anyone familiar with him? I'm still thinking of perching on the Kia Oro beach, tho' Charlie says it's not a great beach but the snorleling is good. I'm sure if we quaff a few beers they won't toss us out. Any better ideas for Rangi?

Again thanks to you all,

Verna

I don't know for sure, but I would guess that most of the good snorkeling in BB is out on the motus, or elsewhere in the lagoon. In the past, I've seen operators selling shark and ray feeding excursions right from the dock, so you might be able to just pick something up. They don't call it "feeding" any more, I think. Or if you really want to wander, you could rent a car, scooter or "moke" (kind of like a dune buggy). or even a bicycle (but remember, it's hot.)

I too have managed to figure out that one can snorkel from shore in Rangi, and that's probably what we'll do, although we're also doing a pearl farm tour at some point. We'll be in Rangi, oh, about 10 days from now, on the Paul Gauguin.

Charlie, I want to thank you so much for you fabulous reply to my questions on the CC forum. It is terrific to have first hand knowledge of a place. Just a couple more questions for South Seas adventurers:

My friend has been on the Tahitian Princess and remembers an up close, in the water with the rays excursion from a previous sail, but I think the Princess one in Bora Bora is just a watch from the boat experience so we'll probably pass. Does anyone recall any ray swimming in the Islands?

We're in Bora Bora for a good chunk of time but I don't see anything appealing from the ship. Any ideas? We'll be on snorkel excursions in Huahine, Raiatea, and likely Moorea. We have our own gear and could just get a taxi to a beach, but there's always the danger of getting stranded. Has anyone just set off with a friendly cabbie?

On Rangiroa we actually dock at Avatora I believe and I heard about a fellow from "Rangiroa Activites" who has snorkel trips for about $50. But the email on his website doesn't work. I believe his tours can be arranged at the Kia Oro so will give that a shot. Anyone familiar with him? I'm still thinking of perching on the Kia Oro beach, tho' Charlie says it's not a great beach but the snorleling is good. I'm sure if we quaff a few beers they won't toss us out. Any better ideas for Rangi?

Again thanks to you all,

Verna

There is an excursion through the ship in Bora Bora with the rays. It's called the Snorkel Safari and Ray Ballet. You go to a shallow lagoon area where you snorkel/swim with the Stingrays. You can also feed them a little with guidance from the guide. There's not much snorkeling to do there. Just the rays. Then they take you to a snorkel area after that. It was a blast. Lot's of fun. See photo.

1148553787_TahitiBoraBoraonward038.jpg.6e563e916fdbbfccd787dd8ccec48abd.jpg

Archived