Scuba Diving in Nassau from the Conquest

Irie girl

Does anyone know where they take you if you do the beginners scuba dive excursion? I am sailing the Conquest in March 09 and was wondering if it is better to book through the cruise line or go it alone. The pictures show kind of brown, dark water. It is the Bahamas so I was hoping for some clear, blue water instead. :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...
Does anyone know where they take you if you do the beginners scuba dive excursion? I am sailing the Conquest in March 09 and was wondering if it is better to book through the cruise line or go it alone. The pictures show kind of brown, dark water. It is the Bahamas so I was hoping for some clear, blue water instead. :rolleyes:

I don't know if the Conquest uses the same company as NCL but we had the most fantastic time on our Discover Scuba shore excursion. We went out pretty much straight from the port, under the bridge to Paradise Island and straight ahead. The water was beautiful and we had a very careful and safety concious crew.

Best of luck on your cruise and your Discover Scuba excursion.

In all seriousness don't pay much attention to the pictures. There are a lot of reasons the water could look like that, including early or late in the day , cloudy or a lot of sand stirred up because it is rough, or it could be the depth of the water.

You will go to a place where the water is clear, whether you go with CCL or on your own. Most dive operators with beginners go to the same two or three locations for safety reasons.

We leave on the Conquest March 29th, headed to Nassau, our sons are all going with us and they too desire to take the beginners course in Nassau, so we will be paying great attention to your replies. They have done the course in Cozumel and Grand Cayman and they will do it again in Nassau. Seems like they should have gotten certified years ago but they enjoy doing it only a couple of times a year.

I actually booked privately with Stuart Cove's, but was only allowed to do so because I was booking a dive excursion not offered by the cruise line. If I had wanted to do just a regular dive I would have had to book via the shore excursion department because Stuart Cove's will not accept a reservation if you are coming in on a cruise ship and its offered through them. Is that too confusing?

I didn't end up making the dive, because we got redirected to a western caribbean itinerary due to a tropical storm. But when I called to cancel it was no hassle, they have a policy if you don't make the island they don't charge. I was going to do the shark diving with them. Someday I will get there and do it.

To Catfishhhh@aol.com: I would suggest doing the in class course portion at home, contact any dive shop about that and get properly certified as an open water diver. Then you can do your certification dives down in the caribbean. Only problem with doing that on a cruise ship though is I am pretty sure you have to do all 4 cert dives with the same instructor and that takes 2 days.

Archived